What to do when inspiration is missing?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any good tips on how to be inspired/get ideas to take photo's?

I am a member of my local camera club, we meet once a month and have a theme set for the following month. None of the pictures are judged professionally it's more we share what we have done and people give comments on what could improve the photo.

Though recently I am struggling to find myself inspired/creative or even make an effort to take photo's.

I have spent some time doing another hobby instead (taken up mountain biking but I live in Cambridgeshire which is notoriously flat!!, And also I dread having an accident as my sensible side is thinking about being able to work to pay bill's.) hoping I might see something which then inspires me to take a photo for the theme each month. I also find I am not taking any photos of anything else either for my own personal use. Part of me thinks I need to dedicate some more time for photography even if it's just taking photos of something that interests me and not worrying about taking photos for the camera club monthly theme.

Last edited:
I would say dedicate some time to taking photos and not worry about the club theme. Just take something you like - if you have a dog take a few shots of him/her - or even your bike from different angles a bit abstract - just something to get you picking up the camera again. It's ok though to concentrate on another hobby for a change.

Personally, it can sometimes be weeks in between me going out and taking pictures. That said, I do look at a lot of photos online and in books, so inspiration is never far away, it’s time I’m short of!
Don’t worry about it would be my advice. Take photos of stuff that interests you, look at other peoples photographs, go and do something different for a while - you’ll be better off for it.

Try some books!

I find that when I pick up a photo book, it often inspires me to go try something new. Landscape isn't really my genre, but I do enjoy the work of Ansel Adams and Fay Godwin. eBay searches may often turn up charity shops or others getting rid of decent quality hardback photobooks for very reasonable prices.

My current favourite is "All About Saul Leiter" which is £15 on my favourite shopping site. His work I find every inspiring.

... just taking photos of something that interests me and not worrying about taking photos for the camera club monthly theme.
This. ^^^

I find having a theme to shoot for instantly triggers photographic block. Whereas wandering around taking random photos of random crap often provides the germ of an idea to develop.

"I stopped believing in inspiration a long, long time ago. So, although I still get it, now and again, I don't wait for it. You just have to start working sometimes."
Brian Eno

I would surely find that having an imposed theme for personal photography would be a pointless irritation, and detract from what I'd really want to be about.

Not that any of us have to make images all the time - life naturally goes in phases.

But I rather think that what we do should come out of our natural inclinations, and be a personal exploration - and if vision and / or technique need developing then it should be in the service of that and the motivation will be built-in.

Try some books!

I find that when I pick up a photo book, it often inspires me to go try something new. Landscape isn't really my genre, but I do enjoy the work of Ansel Adams and Fay Godwin. eBay searches may often turn up charity shops or others getting rid of decent quality hardback photobooks for very reasonable prices.

My current favourite is "All About Saul Leiter" which is £15 on my favourite shopping site. His work I find every inspiring.

I have picked up a copy of photographing East Anglia recently but not yet had a chance to start reading it. Probably find a few places locally I could head to.

I would surely find that having an imposed theme for personal photography would be a pointless irritation, and detract from what I'd really want to be about.

Perhaps for you that is the case, and also for others, including the OP, but it isn't the case for everyone.

I set project themes for my students - who start my courses as complete beginners. I would say that the majority find that having a theme helps them structure their work. However there is always a minority who find that it restricts - or as Dave says above - triggers photographic block. Themes are popular on this site (52s, 12s, monthly comps) and I'd say that again, the majority enjoy them whilst the minority don't.

Discussing a theme, is discussing a common idea, and it will often generate tangents that inspire.

Also - themes themselves can range from terrible to great. I always try and avoid nouns or definitive type words - "trees" or "architecture" or "red" force the photographer down very narrow areas. "relationships", "my passion", or (my current favourite which always gets a raised eyebrow) "wabi sabi" allow a lot of room for creativity whilst still working with a plan or idea.

I would say that
wandering around taking random photos of random crap often provides the germ of an idea to develop.
is a more advanced notion as it requires the photographer to have a degree of self awareness that allows them to see that germ through all the crap. It's something that I'm only just starting to realise.

Perhaps for you that is the case, and also for others, including the OP, but it isn't the case for everyone.

I set project themes for my students - who start my courses as complete beginners. I would say that the majority find that having a theme helps them structure their work. However there is always a minority who find that it restricts - or as Dave says above - triggers photographic block. Themes are popular on this site (52s, 12s, monthly comps) and I'd say that again, the majority enjoy them whilst the minority don't.

Discussing a theme, is discussing a common idea, and it will often generate tangents that inspire.

Also - themes themselves can range from terrible to great. I always try and avoid nouns or definitive type words - "trees" or "architecture" or "red" force the photographer down very narrow areas. "relationships", "my passion", or (my current favourite which always gets a raised eyebrow) "wabi sabi" allow a lot of room for creativity whilst still working with a plan or idea

Sometimes I find the themes easy to do, sometimes I can't think of anything without the glaring obvious which I feel others will do so want to think of something a bit different to show a bit of thought and creativity. Recently it just feels like a complete block even for the obvious so I just give up and don't bother.

Themes, projects etc rarely work or inspire me...In fact they tend to make me feel like I'm turning my photographicy from a hobby into something obligatory like work!

I now go for a walk with a camera in a rucksack but with no planned shot in mind...indeed often no planned route neither.
I wandar and if and when something catches my eye , I know immediatley as I have a "rush" inside that kinda says "yeah now that's a good scene"

Often I'll return home without taking a single frame but that doesn't bother me one bit ….In fact I'd prefer to return home with nothing rather than dozens of shots, to sift through only to find that none of them "rock my boat.

Anyone got any good tips on how to be inspired/get ideas to take photo's?

I am a member of my local camera club, we meet once a month and have a theme set for the following month. None of the pictures are judged professionally it's more we share what we have done and people give comments on what could improve the photo.

Though recently I am struggling to find myself inspired/creative or even make an effort to take photo's.

I have spent some time doing another hobby instead (taken up mountain biking but I live in Cambridgeshire which is notoriously flat!!, And also I dread having an accident as my sensible side is thinking about being able to work to pay bill's.) hoping I might see something which then inspires me to take a photo for the theme each month. I also find I am not taking any photos of anything else either for my own personal use. Part of me thinks I need to dedicate some more time for photography even if it's just taking photos of something that interests me and not worrying about taking photos for the camera club monthly theme.

Travel tends to inspire me, and by that I don't mean setting off for the other side of the world, just going somewhere that interests you not as a photographic destination, just somewhere you fancy going and exploring. Once there, with camera, I find there's always something that will catch my eye for a photo. And if it doesn't, then at least you've had a nice day out somewhere you wanted to go anyway.

I’ve done several theme based challenges over the last few years and enjoyed doing them. At a minimum I regard them as the photographic equivalent of going to the gym, a photographic exercise that keeps you in shape for other more meaningful things but so often they are more than that, they are a challenge and help you develop new skills and often have a great sense of community. That said over the last 6 months or so I have pretty much stopped doing any theme-based challenges because I was finding them a bit too distracting from other things I wanted to do.

May be taking the pressure off yourself, just forgetting about it for a few months might be the way to go. It could just be that other things in life are getting in the way or are just more important right now. I’m sure many of us sometimes feel that pang of guilt from leaving the expensive camera gear in the house while we go and do something else but it is a hobby and by way of comparison I know people who leave an expensive motorbike in the garage all winter and only use it when it is dry and warm.

There are different kinds of challenge, only shooting on your mobile phone or using disposable film cameras for 3 months. Or buy and action camera and shoot and edit some video of your bike rides. Another idea might be to try to perfect a style/technique, such as minimalist long exposure or macro or studio lighting.

I have picked up a copy of photographing East Anglia recently but not yet had a chance to start reading it. Probably find a few places locally I could head to.

My guess would be that Ian meant photo books as in books of photos rather than guides and how-to’s. My current favourite is Dust by Nadav Kander but a couple of more general books are the Photographers Eye or The Nature of Photographs, there are also photographic exhibitions, you are not too far from London and there is always plenty on there.

All photographers go through this from time to time. I wouldn't let it get to you, the urge to take photos will come back of its own accord. Relax, and don't try to force it back. Take nothing that is compulsory - as in the monthly club theme - unless it appeals. Just make sure you never leave home without a camer, even though it seems pointless. One day you'll see something and be glad for the camera in your pocket/bag and , hey presto, you've got your mojo back.

I shoot primarily for stock sites so shoot a wide range of subjects but earlier this year I was starting to get bored and uninspired, started to feel more like a job than an interesting hobby that made me some money. Always look a an image with a view to possible sales.

I recently purchased the Tamaron 90mm macro lens which has renewed my interest. I still upload the images to stock sites but I'm taking pictures I want to take and not considering if they will make me money.

Hope you regain your inspiration soon.

since having a heart attack last week I have found that lying on the settee scratching my b*****ks is a sure fire way to make me want to pick up my camera and get out , but realistically it might take a couple of weeks longer

yes clubs get you going and make you think, that is where i started off and was glad of the competition which is an advantage to help creativity...not withstanding exposure and composition.

when i hit doldrums i usually gravitate to flowers or do abstracts on objects in the home/general...

i dont go out much now with my camera...the phone shots i take are not very good so i only show what i think is interesting...wont buy a mega phone though

buncha 5'ssss by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

phone camera shot of flowers...sort of abstract

i can commiserate with you with unfortunately cant better what i said above

best of luck
geof

Last edited:
I find that if I lose inspiration I switch over to my camcorder for a change and video anything. Today I videoed my Border Terrier on her first garden biscuit hunt. Video picks up half way thru the hunt. That command she knows well from the biscuit hunts we have indoors

she finds it in the end
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUSoAiKGsSk&t=21s

Last edited:
My guess would be that Ian meant photo books as in books of photos rather than guides and how-to’s. My current favourite is Dust by Nadav Kander but a couple of more general books are the Photographers Eye or The Nature of Photographs, there are also photographic exhibitions, you are not too far from London and there is always plenty on there.

I think I might have the Photographers eye but not looked at it for a few years, might dig it out and have a look through it.

Try and think of a topic that is accessible, but also requires a bit of research to add interest
Know how boring Cambridgeshire can be, live there myself and it's hardly Inspirational.

I have a few topics on the go, one is bikes that are used as advertising boards
Found loads in Cambridge and when you look see loads all over the place.
Just an example of something you can find practically on your doorstep.

Also started trying to find pillboxes left from WW2, some unique ones locally.
Not the most interesting subject, but fun finding, documenting and photographing them
Got another more interesting subject matter that requires a few days in Paris, not giving them all away though.

Currently trying to find remains from the Maglev train tests out in the flatlands near Earith.
The prototype can be found in Railworld at Peterborough, but the test track was out in the sticks

Last edited:
I now go for a walk with a camera in a rucksack but with no planned shot in mind...indeed often no planned route neither.
I wandar and if and when something catches my eye , I know immediatley as I have a "rush" inside that kinda says "yeah now that's a good scene"

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. We all have these moments and fortunately for me I don't rely on photography to live. No wI tend to take more of Asha's approach of making sure I have some sort of camera with me at all time (easy with todays phones :) ) That way if something catches my eye I will stop and think about the scene and how to capture it. On most occasions I maybe come back with a handful of pictures (which is great as I hate spending hours trawling through images in PP). Overall I would say I was happier with my photography now than previously as Im not going through 100's of mediocre images going "what was I thinking with that!"

Back