What to Leave behind - Trip to Cornwall

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to Cornwall for a week, near Mousehall and there is not much room left in the car (very Small boot) for photographic gear.

This is what I'm going to take
Full Frame Body + extra battery and charger
24-70mm f2.8 Zoom
Lee Filters
Tripod and head

I also have
12-24mm Sigma f5.6 zoom which will not take the filters
80-400mm F4.5 Zoom will take the filters
105mm Sigma Macro would not use filters on this.

Weather Permiiting I will be doing seascapes and landscapes so what would you leave behind and why

My wife does not understand why it takes so long to take a photo.

I would add the 80-400 to the things you are taking, if there is room, but I think what you've got will cover everything for a couple of shoots.

Thanks Stu

That was what I was thinking also, I do have the love for wide angles, but will do some stitching shots if required.

Thanks Stu

That was what I was thinking also, I do have the love for wide angles, but will do some stitching shots if required.
I personally wouldn't take the 12-24 if I couldn't use filters, and would be happy enough with the wide angle feel of the 24mm if it meant I could use filters.

I like a nice 2 lens approach anyway!

Don`t forget your Passport and Visa!!!

We`re not so fussy but you may need it to get back to England.

And don`t let the Locals see you eating a Ginsters Pasty, expect to get Lynched if you do.:welcome:

Another emmit who wants to photograph Cornwall, well it is a great county to do it in. remember a proper Cornish pastie has crimped pastry across the top, not along the edge. Only those foreigners from Devon and beyond make them wrong

Last edited:
th
th

proper Cornish pastie has crimped pastry across the top, not along the edge.

See above the real thing, where did you get that from??

Can`t even spell Pasty correctly, Pasty = one, Pasties = two or more.

Last edited:
If your Landscaping don't forget your remote release!

Re Emmits and Grockle's .... What happens if you have one parent from Kernow and the other from Devon and your born on the Ampshire Dorset border?

If you're looking for landscapes I'd say add the 80-400.

Assume you mean Mousehole? If so shooting across to the west coast there are loads of little coves that won't be half as busy

My wife does not understand why it takes so long to take a photo.
Tell her that's the difference between a "Photograph" and a "Snap" or what we call a "Proper Job";)
If your on seascapes print out a tide table before you so (if you don't have internet access). Cleaning gear for your filters and some good boots!

Tell her that's the difference between a "Photograph" and a "Snap" or what we call a "Proper Job";)
If your on seascapes print out a tide table before you so (if you don't have internet access). Cleaning gear for your filters and some good boots!

Have those items and remote release sorted out.

Wife also wonders why I take more than one photo at a time

If you're looking for landscapes I'd say add the 80-400.

Assume you mean Mousehole? If so shooting across to the west coast there are loads of little coves that won't be half as busy

Yes Mousehole, finger trouble and seeing what I thought rather than reading what I typed.

80-400 packed, just hope it fits in, sure I will find a space somewhere.

Wife also wonders why I take more than one photo at a time
Say to her "Its because you haven't bought me a D810 dear"
Alternatively you can use ..... "I've left my grads at home" or "My grad just fell down that inaccessible crack in the rocks never to be seen again"
Have a good trip, Pete

Cornwall is the county I most love as my mothers side of the family came from Perranporth, I still have a lot ofcousins etc living there or nearby. Spent many a happy day there as a boy and my grandmother (passed down to me) had the original head coast guards house, which due to financial and work reasons I had to sell. The history of the village is well known to me right back to the original Perran in the Sand hamlet as it was back in around 1000 AD, not where it is now.
Once Cornwall gets in the blood you never get rid of it no matter where you live.

Years ago my Uncle owner a cafe in camborne called "The Silver Rail" long gone now I suppose.

When Launceston was the city before Truro an ancestor of mine called " Mad Mick" was the last highwayman to be hung there

Last edited:
Beware of St Ives...

th
Avoid at all costs, even if desperate.

FTFY! You don't see trucks heading West from the factory gate.

Imagine entering the wrong name into your SatNav and ending up in Cambourne, don`t bear thinking about.

I remember getting off a bus back from Victoria to Poole and the person in front of me was asking how to get to Camborne... he saw the bus was going to Poole and thought it was going to Pool.
(for those that don't know Poole is in Dorset and Pool is in Cornwall, just outside of Camborne. I got the impression they weren't very happy

Hope you have a good time down here I only wish we had better weather to offer you but even with an angry seas I am sure you will go home with great images and memories :) just keep your foot down when you go through Devon ;)

A big stopper? Or equivalent...perhaps stick some stuff in your coat pockets.

I for one would take the 12-24mm, I like the wide angle effect on my foregrounds.

Don`t forget your Passport and Visa!!!

We`re not so fussy but you may need it to get back to England.

And don`t let the Locals see you eating a Ginsters Pasty, expect to get Lynched if you do.:welcome:
as a Cornishman who refuses to believe that cornwall is in England I would have to agree with this!!

as a Cornishman who refuses to believe that cornwall is in England I would have to agree with this!!

Any recommendations on how I can get real Cornish pasties by mail order? ( I will not mention I am a Devonian)

I'd take the 80-400 over the 12-24 personally. I think you'll find the extra reach much more useful than a few extra millimeters at the wide end.

I remember having my first proper pasty in St Ives a couple of years ago, and sat to enjoy it on a wall. I took a second to take a photo of it to remember the momentous occasion, and a giant winged beast (seagull) tried to steal it from me, with half of it falling to the floor. I would never normally hurt an animal, but I'd have rung that b*****d's neck if I'd caught it.

Back