What to use to scan my pc for bugs.

Edit My Images
Yes
Can any of you give me any ideas as to which software I can download to run a spyware check on my pc.
I have Mcafee installed but if it picks anything up all the text is in Mandarin and I have no idea what it is saying.

I dont think I have a trojan or anything like that as I try to stay away from anything that looks dodgy but it would be good to run a check any how.

Ta in advance.

Windows defender, spybot-seek and destroy or adaware are all usefull- yes even the microsoft option!!

The vast majority of spyware on your PC will be relatively harmless tracking cookies, which can easily be dealt with just by deleting your cookies after each session. It means re- logging into various sites afterwards which is a minor inconvenience.

Trojans and browser hijackers are a different matter and not all anti spyware software finds them, and they're the dangerous ones!

By far the best bit of software I've found to date is Spyware Doctor which I get free as a Virgin Broadband customer

Come on then Nathan... if that's the case tell us why?

Simple, most AV vendors whip up the hysteria that you're INFECTED* when all they find is a tracking cookie.

They KNOW that the vast majority of users (and trust me I have a lot of experience in this) don't know they're a*** from their elbow when it comes to security threats. It's hypocritical. Malware vendors use social engineering to proliferate their goods, Anti-Malware vendors do the same to make their sales.

On the scale of security threats faced by a modern windows PC I'd put tracking cookies at the bottom just below the user of the machine itself!

* Just like that, stands out doesn't it? Well for the average internet user they're now thinking that they need to buy an AV package because they're infected and the world is going to end!

LOL. I see where you're coming from. :D

Back