What TriPod head to Use

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, so another begginer question in the Macro world.
What Tripod head have you found to be the best all rounder for outside photography?
I have a Giottos MH1301 Ball head and the Manfrotto 804RC2
Also what DSLR camera body do you find better for macro? the Crop or the FF?
Lastly I am looking for a good resource on Flower photography especially the heads of flowers.
I understand that some would say flower heads are not true Macro but if I hung an image of a dung beetle on the wall the other half would not be to happy!!!
Thanks
Russ

Russ, a lot will depend on your choice of camera and lens as to which bullhead to go for. I've used bullheads from Really Right Stuff, Arca Swiss and Kirk and all have been top notch. I'd recommend buying a used one from here or eBay for as long as it hasn't been abused it will serve you well for many years. As an all round a RRS BH-40 would be a good choice. If you're using a large DSLR with something like a 200mm or 70-180mm Micro-Nikkor then maybe a BH-55 would provide a more solid platform. Another one to consider is the Burzynski bullhead. It was around before the BH-55 and I believe RRS took some inspiration from it. It's also rock solid. I used it myself for some time. I also have a Kirk BH-3 which again is a very solid allrounder and not too heavy if you plan to lug your kit around. That said, my small RRS BH-30 will easily hold a large DSLR in place with no apparent slippage.

With regard FF or DX, I'd go with FF for macro, despite me using a D300S for a long time. When I compared the IQ of my images to a friend who used a D700 I always felt he had the edge.

Best "all-around" head IMO is the UniqBall. I have both models. But, by definition all-around means some compromises. They are not the absolute best fro doing only one thing.

I often use a 2.7x crop body for "high magnification" macro. It gives greater working distance/DOF. But again, that's a different set of compromises. Cropping/CF is not the same as actually being closer or having greater magnification.

Russ, I wouldn't worry about whether your photos are macros or not. This is after all a Macro and Close-up forum, and in any case there isn't a common agreement as to what "macro" actually means.

Anyway, welcome to the world of small things. :)

I love photographing flowers. They are perhaps my favourite subjects. A couple of thoughts for you.

You mention a tripod head, but not the tripod. I don't know how you are intending to go about your flower photography. If you are going to pick flowers, bring them indoors, arrange them, perhaps in a light tent, and then photograph them, it may not matter too much what tripod you use. However, if you are planning on photographing flowers in the wild then bear in mind that flowers don't always grow in convenient to photograph places. Depending on where you are they may be difficult to get at, for example because you can't walk into flower borders in a formal garden, or you can't get through the brambles or across the stream or whatever out in the country. You may need to get at a flower from low down, or over the top or around the side of a bush, or through an awkward mess of foliage. In such cases an ordinary tripod may often let you down. There are tripods with greater flexibility, such as arms that can go out horizontally, or at some other angles, and can get your camera near to the ground, or looking down over a bush etc. FWIW, the tripod setup I use is illustrated here. (I'm not recommending this setup in particular, just illustrating that you do have some options on this front, and possibly some things you need to think about.)

There is also the question of whether to use a tripod all the time, or even at all. I do use a tripod sometimes for flowers. If the air is calm I may set up shots, take my hands away, let the rig settle and use a remote release to take the shot. If you are doing this then you would do well to use mirror lock up, because mirror slap can undo all the good work of letting the camera settle down. Alternatively, and what I do almost all the time, is to use Live View. That way there is no mirror slap. Even if you have the mirror locked up or use live view you can get shutter shock (which my tests have shown, on my kit, to be a genuine issue not a hypothetical one). If you have it available, Electronic First Shutter Curtain eliminates shutter shock, which is what I use with my Canon 70D, which is my preferred camera for photographing flowers. (That is not a recommendation for crop versus full frame, because I have never used a full frame camera.)

Sometimes when I use a tripod I keep my hands on the camera, using what I call a "tripod assisted" approach, but that is more often with invertebrates than flowers. Most often though I work hand-held when photographing flower. That way I can get at really awkward angles, for example shooting one-handed while using the other hand to grab hold of something as I lean over/around some obstacle or out across a pond or stream, or hold back foliage, or when I'm working in portrait orientation with the camera low down towards the ground. And to get the freedom of movement to do all this I almost always use the LCD, and is why I chose the Canon 70D because it has an articulated screen, and it has a live view implementation that actually works quite well. (And I think you have to use live view to get Electronic First Shutter Curtain on the 70D.) If you are going to use the viewfinder then an angle finder will give you a bit more flexibility, but not as much as using an articulated LCD. You can get full frame cameras with hinged LCDs and good live view, such as the Sony A7r or A7s, but bear in mind that compared to an articulated LCD, a hinged screen isn't much good for working in portrait orientation (which of course might or might not be relevant for you).

I find the creative juices flow much better when I work hand-held, but that is a very personal thing. For example some people like the slow, deliberative approach that using a tripod hands-off encourages them to adopt.

There is also the question of what type of lens to use. That may seem obvious - a macro lens. Perhaps, for flowers, one with a good long focal length like a 180mm macro, because that will help throw backgrounds out of focus, and with flowers, if you are working with a tripod, weight may not be so important. As it happens (and again, this is not a recommendation, just to mention that you do have options) I use a telephoto zoom lens (Canon 55-250 STM) when photographing flowers. Being a crop lens it is lighter than a full frame lens, and it is nicely sharp. Using a zoom lens can be beneficial. It can give you some extra reach for difficult to get at subjects, and it can let you get captures in cramped situations where, with a prime lens, you can't step back far enough. You can also play with framing shots differently, back and forth, back and forth, without having to move which, especially when coupled with changing apertures to explore background effects, I find very conducive to creative composition. (I do have a Sigma 105mm macro lens, but I have found that I have no use for it.)

If I want to get a bit closer-in, for smaller flowers, I put a mild achromat on the front of the lens (a Canon 500D close-up lens). Remember too that there are flowers, buds and other botanical nicenesses at smaller scales than the usual flowers one thinks of. For example, at this time of year there are (depending on where you are) tiny things starting to poke their heads up above the ground, and these can make good subjects in areas that you might well walk past because they look like bare earth if you don't take your time to look closely. This sort of botanical subject can even take me beyond 1:1 occasionally.

So, flower photography is, IMO, a fascinating and rewarding field of endeavour. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I look forward to seeing your flower pictures.

Last edited:
@ gardenershelper.... what type of tripod is that in your link ??

Russ, I wouldn't worry about whether your photos are macros or not. This is after all a Macro and Close-up forum, and in any case there isn't a common agreement as to what "macro" actually means.

Anyway, welcome to the world of small things. :)

I love photographing flowers. They are perhaps my favourite subjects. A couple of thoughts for you.

You mention a tripod head, but not the tripod. I don't know how you are intending to go about your flower photography. If you are going to pick flowers, bring them indoors, arrange them, perhaps in a light tent, and then photograph them, it may not matter too much what tripod you use. However, if you are planning on photographing flowers in the wild then bear in mind that flowers don't always grow in convenient to photograph places. Depending on where you are they may be difficult to get at, for example because you can't walk into flower borders in a formal garden, or you can't get through the brambles or across the stream or whatever out in the country. You may need to get at a flower from low down, or over the top or around the side of a bush, or through an awkward mess of foliage. In such cases an ordinary tripod may often let you down. There are tripods with greater flexibility, such as arms that can go out horizontally, or at some other angles, and can get your camera near to the ground, or looking down over a bush etc. FWIW, the tripod setup I use is illustrated here. (I'm not recommending this setup in particular, just illustrating that you do have some options on this front, and possibly some things you need to think about.)

There is also the question of whether to use a tripod all the time, or even at all. I do use a tripod sometimes for flowers. If the air is calm I may set up shots, take my hands away, let the rig settle and use a remote release to take the shot. If you are doing this then you would do well to use mirror lock up, because mirror slap can undo all the good work of letting the camera settle down. Alternatively, and what I do almost all the time, is to use Live View. That way there is no mirror slap. Even if you have the mirror locked up or use live view you can get shutter shock (which my tests have shown, on my kit, to be a genuine issue not a hypothetical one). If you have it available, Electronic First Shutter Curtain eliminates shutter shock, which is what I use with my Canon 70D, which is my preferred camera for photographing flowers. (That is not a recommendation for crop versus full frame, because I have never used a full frame camera.)

Sometimes when I use a tripod I keep my hands on the camera, using what I call a "tripod assisted" approach, but that is more often with invertebrates than flowers. Most often though I work hand-held when photographing flower. That way I can get at really awkward angles, for example shooting one-handed while using the other hand to grab hold of something as I lean over/around some obstacle or out across a pond or stream, or hold back foliage, or when I'm working in portrait orientation with the camera low down towards the ground. And to get the freedom of movement to do all this I almost always use the LCD, and is why I chose the Canon 70D because it has an articulated screen, and it has a live view implementation that actually works quite well. (And I think you have to use live view to get Electronic First Shutter Curtain on the 70D.) If you are going to use the viewfinder then an angle finder will give you a bit more flexibility, but not as much as using an articulated LCD. You can get full frame cameras with hinged LCDs and good live view, such as the Sony A7r or A7s, but bear in mind that compared to an articulated LCD, a hinged screen isn't much good for working in portrait orientation (which of course might or might not be relevant for you).

I find the creative juices flow much better when I work hand-held, but that is a very personal thing. For example some people like the slow, deliberative approach that using a tripod hands-off encourages them to adopt.

There is also the question of what type of lens to use. That may seem obvious - a macro lens. Perhaps, for flowers, one with a good long focal length like a 180mm macro, because that will help throw backgrounds out of focus, and with flowers, if you are working with a tripod, weight may not be so important. As it happens (and again, this is not a recommendation, just to mention that you do have options) I use a telephoto zoom lens (Canon 55-250 STM) when photographing flowers. Being a crop lens it is lighter than a full frame lens, and it is nicely sharp. Using a zoom lens can be beneficial. It can give you some extra reach for difficult to get at subjects, and it can let you get captures in cramped situations where, with a prime lens, you can't step back far enough. You can also play with framing shots differently, back and forth, back and forth, without having to move which, especially when coupled with changing apertures to explore background effects, I find very conducive to creative composition. (I do have a Sigma 105mm macro lens, but I have found that I have no use for it.)

If I want to get a bit closer-in, for smaller flowers, I put a mild achromat on the front of the lens (a Canon 500D close-up lens). Remember too that there are flowers, buds and other botanical nicenesses at smaller scales than the usual flowers one thinks of. For example, at this time of year there are (depending on where you are) tiny things starting to poke their heads up above the ground, and these can make good subjects in areas that you might well walk past because they look like bare earth if you don't take your time to look closely. This sort of botanical subject can even take me beyond 1:1 occasionally.

So, flower photography is, IMO, a fascinating and rewarding field of endeavour. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I look forward to seeing your flower pictures.
Hi, Thank you for a very informative reply, I have a Manfrotto 190xPRO3. Just purchased a used Tamron 90mm 1:1 I also use an app QDSLR Controller, gives a much larger image on a Nexus 7 pad than the back of the camera. Would you have any recommendations on a good book on flower photography please? Many Thanks again. Russ

@ gardenershelper.... what type of tripod is that in your link ??

It is a Benro Flexpod C2980F Versatile Tripod Carbon Black, (currently shown as unavailable at Amazon UK). It is fitted with a Velbon V4 Boom Arm. For my purposes I suspect the exact make of tripod doesn't matter much, as long as it has an easily reversible central column. It is the boom arm which makes the big different for me. (I have a no-name ballhead attached to the boom arm and a no-name 4-way focus rail that looks identical to this one.)

However, the rig has two major failings which make it risky to use. Here is a configuration I would like to use.

0826 1 Desired configuration angle 1
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0826 2 Desired configuration angle 2

But ... this is where the Benro tripod arm meets the Velbon boom arm.

0826 3 Where the two arms are connected

And unfortunately ...

0826 4 First catastrophic rotation risk

So this configuration is too dangerous to use. So although the Benro arm can be deployed horizontally, and indeed at other angles than vertical, it never is because of the rotational risk. (It is still there in a mild form when the central column isn't exactly vertical, which is often the case, but the deviation from vertical is fairly mild and so the rotational force is low, and any rotation would be mild.)

Even with the central column vertical there is a rotation risk - a different one.

0826 5 Second catastrophic rotation risk

And this has happened on several occasions. Luckily, the camera just spun around on the arm and was far enough away from anything else not to hit anything, and the rotation didn't cause the tripod to tip over (I do sometimes use the tripod in configurations which are on the edge of stability, so there is a non-trivial risk of the rig tipping over. The risk of the camera hitting something - like the ground for example, or one of the nice rocks we have around our garden - is also non-trivial.)

I realised this was a problem as soon as I looked at the kit. Normally I would send things like this back on the grounds of being "unfit for purpose". However, I was trying to replace another, really heavy metal tripod that I had used previously and could be used in similar configurations. I had broken that once and the supplier had replaced the broken part (the fitting that held the lateral arm), but the second time I broke it they didn't have a spare part. I couldn't buy a replacement from them because they had stopped supplying it and I couldn't find another supplier. The Velbon arm was the only thing I had found which could replace it. So I decided to keep it and live with the risk.

I could not recommend this setup to anyone else, most especially if they are going to be using heavier kit on it than I am.

Hi, Thank you for a very informative reply, I have a Manfrotto 190xPRO3. Just purchased a used Tamron 90mm 1:1 I also use an app QDSLR Controller, gives a much larger image on a Nexus 7 pad than the back of the camera.

OK. You've got some flexibility there with the tripod. That's good.

Would you have any recommendations on a good book on flower photography please?

I'm afraid not. The only book on photography I've ever read was one about using Lightroom. Sorry. (I do read a lot - just not books about photography.)

Do please post here though and ask questions. If we can get some good discussions going about flower photography that would be good. (Flower photography tends to take second place here, and on other close-up/macro forums I've looked at, to insects, spiders etc. I have yet to find a photography+flower oriented site/forum which I was inclined to engage with. Unfortunately.

@ gardenershelper cheers for the reply, very informative.

I was looking at the Vanguard Alto for macro and general landscape stuff, do you think this would be suitable as it seems it can get into some unique angles. Especially if I'm creeping around in the woods :)

LINKY

@ gardenershelper cheers for the reply, very informative.

I was looking at the Vanguard Alto for macro and general landscape stuff, do you think this would be suitable as it seems it can get into some unique angles. Especially if I'm creeping around in the woods :)

LINKY

I don't know, it's the little details that you only find out about when you handle it that matter sometimes, but it looks like a good design, with the lateral arm being fixable at a variety of angles. The reviews I read at ? Amazon were complementary about it, as was a video I watched but can't find again now to provide a link to, sorry. Lots of very positive comments about the ball head. Even made me think I might get one.

The thing I'm not keen on with this design is that to get the camera low you need to splay the legs out, and even shortened they spread over a fair amount of space. When I tried that with my Benro tripod (without the Velbon boom arm) if found it difficult to get where I wanted to. For example I wanted to get the camera low down a foot or two into a border, and I couldn't splay the legs out on the border so I couldn't get where I wanted to. Also, it may be difficult to get the camera low enough. You can angle the arm down, but you may find the head will only angle away from the arm by at most 90 degrees, which with the arm angled down leaves the camera away from the horizontal. Still, that may be about the best you can do.

I don't know a better design (which is why I take the risks with the dangerous design I use), so the linked tripod does appear to be worth trying.

Benbo tripods...
They are a bit of a hassle to set up and take a while to get used to, but they can get just about anywhere.
To prevent loosening w/o lock screws, put a rubber washer between the head/plate.

Oh, as simple as that! That would be great. I know nothing about washers. Is this a tap washer type of thing, or thinner, or ....?

Would that work between the Benro arm and the Velbon boom arm? In the configuration I showed above it would have a lot of torque applied when the boom arm is extended because of the distance between where the arms join and the camera.

You'll have to look around to find what fits best... you don't want to go too thick, especially if you don't have a lot of threads/adjustability. Should help with the boom as well, but there's a lot more torque there. Why not just flip the boom so that the weight/torque is "tightening" instead of "loosening?" (extension crank on the bottom)

You'll have to look around to find what fits best... you don't want to go too thick, especially if you don't have a lot of threads/adjustability. Should help with the boom as well, but there's a lot more torque there. Why not just flip the boom so that the weight/torque is "tightening" instead of "loosening?" (extension crank on the bottom)

Doh! Yes, of course.

This configuration loosens

0829 1 Torque loosening configuration

And this configuration tightens

0829 2 Torque tightening configuration

I shall experiment. Thanks.

Back