What Tripod?

Bruja

Los Cojones del Perro
Name
Just call me Mad Madam Mim
Edit My Images
Yes
I need (want) a new tripod. It needs to hold my 30D plus 70-200IS f4L and to come up to eye height - I'm 5ft 8 in tall, or 1.73 to you youngsters out there! Which tripod would you recommend, what head, and where from?

Thanks Joe. What difference will the ball head make? Does it give me more flexibility as I tend towards taking more portrait than landscape shots. (Not as in portraits and landscapes though!)

I should have added that I need it as light as possible as I've got MS and can't lug much more around (and I've just bought a reflector, and speedlite and, and, and....). I've just Googled and there are a whole range of 190's - probably why it's called a series :wacky: - so a specific recommendation? It's for still life generally, and found still life in dark locations.

I am a similar height to you with the 40D and the 70-200 I was after the 190 series Manfrotto but on advice from another member I went for the 055XPROB at not much more, this I coupled with the Manfrotto322RC2 pistol grip ball head, sold to me by the member that advised I to go fro the 055.

I am really pleased with this combination.

Edit the tripod may be too heavy for you.

If money is no issue but weight is an issue, then I'd suggest you take a look at the Gitzo range.

Look for the carbon fibre versions to save weight. Either the 190MF3 or 190MF4. These cost a bit more, but are quite a bit lighter.

The 322 is a good head, but its pretty heavy I found.

If you edit your first post and 'go advanced' you can change your thread title. :)

Thanks Joe. Done!

I have a Gitzo 2931 which is made from Basalt and its really light. I'm around 5'8" shoot with a 40d+battery grip and its spot on of me. I even removed the center post to make it lighter as I was happy not using it! All in all its only about 1.5kg.

Simon

If you shoot in portrait mode, may i recommend a lens collar. One of these.

Just having a look at it Ant. Does that mean I just swivel the camera (via the lens) on this rather than on the tripod head itself. Sorry if it's a basic question but I'm only getting into the whole tripod thing now. Or do I attach this to the tripod head and then swivel via the lens?

Just having a look at it Ant. Does that mean I just swivel the camera (via the lens) on this rather than on the tripod head itself.

Yes. And it's very handy.

If tripods are sexy, then the Manfrotto Neotec with 322 ball-grip is pretty damn horny :naughty:

It's also heavy and costly, so I find the very light Manfrotto 724B comes with me more often. Squeeze the legs together and it makes a passable monopod :LOL: £80 with ball head.

Inbetween is the rightly popular Manfrotto 190x range, which has got a very good blend of clever design, versatility, weight and cost. The 486RC2 ball head (sold separately) is good, and light.

Do get a quick release plate - makes life so much easier.

Carbon fibre tripods are only a bit lighter, but very much more expensive.

RedSnapper tripods are new, and getting a very good name. Never even seen one myself, but I don't think they offer anything other than being very good value. For sure, nothing rivals the massive range from Manfrotto and they are also high quality at reasonable prices.

Good luck,

Richard.

Bruja,
I have a RedSnapper tripod and ball head. It is wonderful, but is too heavy for you, I think.
I don't know what carbon fibre tripods weigh in at, but as you seem to have a fairly open budget, it might be worth trying to find one to try out.
I am sure I could lend you my old heavy-ish tripod for you to weigh, then use, so that you have some idea what the weight factor means - when do you want to meet up ?
For your 70-200, a tripod ring would be good, but don't you have one ? For other lenses, why not try my RedSnapper and see what you think ?

Back