What vintage is this FP4?

I often get my own photos the wrong way round when scanning :facepalm: It's why I usually use filmdev and let a grown up do the scanning....
Quite right, pop it in the post, pour a nice cold drink or two and wait for the download/CD to appear... after all, we've done quite enough hard work carrying the camera and taking the photo in the first place. :)

I don't think any scanner would be able to get the street name off at that size and distance in the photo. It's also at an angle.

If that's the final photo in post 29, I wouldn't bet on it. I have a scan from an Epson flatbed (admittedly a 5x4 negative) where there's a car in the background. At the scale things are posted here, you'd be pushed to see the car. View the scan at 100% and you can make out the number. Not read it clearly, but certainly identify it.

I'll have a go at rescanning. There's writing on that skip as well so that's another avenue to pursue.

It's so annoying to have the high resolution scanner decide to die :(

You could try a loupe on the negative as an alternative.

..and another thing I noticed was:- street lighting for just a pavement (away from houses)..I'd wager with councils finding ways to save money they have been disconnected.

It sounds like you have narrowed the age of the film down already but just for historical interest Ilford moved to Basildon in ’76 and moved out in ’83 so it’s defo in that time frame.

I think the age of the film and when the cars are don't correspond. They're definitely more mid 1990s to 2005 or so. I think it's either a film that's out of date and used then or they've re-used the canister.

If we're trying to ID cars the car to the right of the Land Rover looks Astra-esque to me, perhaps a 5 door Mk5 produced between 2004-2010 so your mid 2000s might be accurate! (but obviously it could be later than that as you still see plenty of these on the road!)

The last photograph in post 29 also looks VW-ish, I originally thought MK4 Golf, but then I can't decide if the lights are lower down similar to a Lupo

Last edited:
Back