What Was The First Single Record You Bought?

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Mine were:

7" The Stranglers - 5 Minutes

12" Blondie - Sunday Girl

Are we talking proper vinyl or just first single you bought

Vinyl was a bit before my time, but my first cassette single was The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode

Queen, Don't Stop me Now. I still have it (and indeed all my vinyl)

Stranglers best band on the planet until Hugh Cornwall left......

Now you're talking (y)

Far, Far Away -Slade

Still love it to this day, Noddy & the gang were one of the most under rated bands ever in my personal opinion :cool:

I didn't buy it but had it bought for me as a birthday present (guessing I was 6 by the release date of the song) ....... Keith Harris and Orvile, I wish I could fly :bonk:

I hate whern this question comes up because my answer is "Funky Gibbon" by the Goodies. :cautious: Thing is though, I went to the shop with the intention of buying something else but it had sold out so I got the Goodies instead. I think the single I had gone to actually buy was "Seasons in the Sun", Terry Jacks but cant be sure!

Jiltered John - Gorden is a Moron which I think I still have plus I found a few picture disks of Toyah, Bauhaus, Blondie.

Walking on the moon

I wish I had a cool first single. Unfortunately it was:

I got 5 on it by the Luniz

Daryl said:
Stranglers best band on the planet until Hugh Cornwall left......

Tiger Feet by Mud first single.

Yep. That's when I started to lose interest.

I hate whern this question comes up because my answer is "Funky Gibbon" by the Goodies. :cautious: Thing is though, I went to the shop with the intention of buying something else but it had sold out so I got the Goodies instead. I think the single I had gone to actually buy was "Seasons in the Sun", Terry Jacks but cant be sure!

Snap! I, too, bought The Funky Gibbon - I was 10 years old at the time but I loved - and still do - the Goodies. I kept pestering my parents to get me that single and it eventually made it's way into my Christmas stocking.

Aaaaah, happy times.

I've lost the single but have recently come across a compliation CD containing songs written by all three member of The Goodies (Bill Oddie was a very prolific song writer).

KArma Chameleon by Culture club Dec 1983??? 59p from woolworths... followed by "uptown girl" and then "only you."

Slade = Goodbuy T'Jane :-D

I loved the early Strangers. Rattus Norvegicus was a stunning album, which I still play regularly.

Its one of those things I can never remember, I had a record player from the age of 5, but my dad had a friend that ran juke boxes, so most of the singles I had came via that route, or were my parents old singles. When 'current' music seeped into my conciousness, I was a 'record the top 40 from radio 1 onto cassette' kinda girl.

However, Funky Gibbon, the first album I had that came with the aforementioned record player for my christmas present was the mighty 'Songs for Swinging Children' [ :eek: they would never allow it these days :LOL: ] by the groovy gang which included that track [I think, i certainly owned it] and the Kinks Apeman - still like the Kinks now ;)

edit: Oh My just googled it, and it didn't have funky gibbon, so maybe that was the first single I bought :eek: Somehow I dont think so though :LOL:

Last edited:
....... I was a 'record the top 40 from radio 1 onto cassette' kinda girl.

Oooh yes...now that was how to spend a sunday evening....fingers poised on "Rec" and "Play". :clap:

Young, Gifted and Black by Bob and Marcia

What a rip off too. The B side was an instrumental of the same song and if you listened carefully, you could hear them singing the song in the backgound as they recorded the A side :LOL:

Yep, desperately trying to avoid the DJ bits and get the end just right! :LOL:

YES!! DJ's....A curse on all thier houses!! :razz:

Breakin' the law by Judas priest with free iron on patch!

As a kid I remember being bought 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' one Xmas and later, and much better, 'Good Vibrations'.

I think the first single I paid for myself would have been Nick Lowe 'In the Heart of the City' or maybe a copy of 'Reet Petite' - only 'cos couldn't get them on albums.

Yv knows that Bill Oddie is a client of ours. Many years ago I amused him "We thought of you last week when two customers came in on the same day - a Mr Gibbon and a Ms Funkee!" :D

I think it might have been Falco - Rock Me Amadeus.

I used to record pop videos off the tv and appearances of favourite people. Still have the tapes somewhere.

"Glad all Over" by The Dave Clark Five..........

.......The Beatles weren't too pleased at that one :LOL:

Unfortunately.... Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie:shake: ... As above, still have it, along with all my vinyl that I'm in the process of recording onto the PC.

The Osmonds' Crazy Horses. I remember I got it home to find a big blob of plastic across the disk and had to take it back.

First album was Ziggy Stardust.

Bill Haley, "Rock around the clock" on 78rpm.........

Phew! Saved by Bill Haley. I thought my first record would be the oldest on this thread but you beat me by two years.
Mine was also a 78rpm,it was Jailhouse Rock by Elvis Presley. A proper Elvis record when he was still rocking.

If we are talking vinyl i've only ever bought one. I only bought this one because a girl up the road sold them cheap from her dad who worked for the factory or record label and it was P.M Dawn set adrift on memory bliss which is still a great track. However my first albums i had was Jacko's Thriller and Bad on cassette along with my first walkman for Christmas 87 or 88.

Last edited:
When Will I See You Again? 3 Degrees.

First album was Slayed by some Brummie band!

Rock island line by Lonny Donagan (not sure on spelling) about 1957

Last edited:
First record purchase was Blondie, The Tide is High, when I was 8.

Switched to tapes pretty much straight after when I was given my own mono cassette player and started collecting Motorhead and Led Zep.

Last edited:
Pretty Vacant when I was 9 or 10 I think

I've only ever bought one single on vinyl which was a limited vinyl run of My Vitriol - Always Your Way.
The first single I bought (on any medium) was probably Bon Jovi - These Days. Most people would probably consider that embarassing, but I actually still quite like it :razz:

Are we talking proper vinyl or just first single you bought
Vinyl was a bit before my time, but my first cassette single was The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode
Great song!!

I wish I had a cool first single. Unfortunately it was:
I got 5 on it by the Luniz
Joe, you're either younger than I had you down as or you bought your first single when you were older than most people :thinking:

Bilko said:
Slade = Goodbuy T'Jane :-D

I loved the early Strangers. Rattus Norvegicus was a stunning album, which I still play regularly.

Oh yes I still listen to Rattis regularly. It is just timeless (y)

Last edited:
Probably one of the Stones or Beatles singles from about 1964. The first one I clearly remember was Soldier Blue (Buffy Sainte-Marie) some years later.

First 7" - Elbow - McGreggor about 6 months ago

First 12" - Led Zeppelin 4 a few years ago

Back