What went wrong?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve just had some scans back today from a reputable UK lab, and have some strange damage or artefacts on one frame.

It’s 35mm HP5, and had one pass through the carry-on baggage scanner at Ancona airport in Italy.

The films were developed and scanned by the lab.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 71E74538-3CB4-44D3-BC24-76233C0898B3.jpeg
    71E74538-3CB4-44D3-BC24-76233C0898B3.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 85
I would guess that the marks are where the negs have been hung up to dry and that the neg affected is at the end of the roll. Looks like the sky is relatively featureless so it shouldn't be too hard to clone out the damage in PP. A square crop would lose the damaged area too.

As above, it looks like the film drying pegs where the spikes pierce the film. Bit poor of the lab imho to damage a frame like that. Surely there are solutions for drying the film that avoid this?

Do you have the negatives? They look like the holes left by clips. If they are they will be obvious from the physical film.

I don’t have the negatives, just had the email today to download the scans. (£1 per film for an email!)
Now it’s been suggested, I guess it probably is physical damage from clips when the film was being dried.
The images have ended up out of order at some point in the process, but that frame is definitely from towards the end, and could well be the last one
Camera was an FM3a, if it makes a difference.

Agree with the other comments, definitely clip marks. I've had them on a number of occasions, usually rolls of film shot with cameras like the Olympus 35 RC, or XA3, which can squeeze around 39 shots from a 36 exposure roll. It means the final frame is pretty much right up to the film canister so there is little room to clip the roll when drying (although I usually find a way to avoid it when I develop them myself).

Here's a recent example of the final frame from a roll shot with my XA3 and lab developed:

Clip marks.jpg

Last edited:
Agree with the other comments, definitely clip marks. I've had them on a number of occasions, usually rolls of film shot with cameras like the Olympus 35 RC, or XA3, which can squeeze around 39 shots from a 36 exposure roll. It means the final frame is pretty much right up to the film canister so there is little room to clip the roll when drying (although I usually find a way to avoid it when I develop them myself).

Here's a recent example of the final frame from a roll shot with my XA3 and lab developed:

View attachment 332703
Wow, nice shot, but very similar marks.
Somebody did suggest it might be from films being spliced together to be developed, rather than when hanging them up to dry.
At least that would be forgivable, as it’s done blind.

Wow, nice shot, but very similar marks.
Somebody did suggest it might be from films being spliced together to be developed, rather than when hanging them up to dry.
At least that would be forgivable, as it’s done blind.
As a matter of interest, how many frames did you get from the film? I've certainly had the final frame having to be pierced by the clip when home processing, but I just tear off the film end rather than actually opening the 35mm canister. I pretty much assumed that a lab would open up the canister, but I could be wrong about that. :thinking:

As a matter of interest, how many frames did you get from the film? I've certainly had the final frame having to be pierced by the clip when home processing, but I just tear off the film end rather than actually opening the 35mm canister. I pretty much assumed that a lab would open up the canister, but I could be wrong about that. :thinking:
I’ll check when I get the negs. The film was wound fully into the canister, so I assume it would have been opened.

I’ll check when I get the negs. The film was wound fully into the canister, so I assume it would have been opened.
It's of little consequence, so just fyi, it is possible to remove the film leader without destroying the canister :) It's really a case of whether the lab own a leader retriever and decide to use it, or not :)

I've had that exact pattern on frame 37 or 38 of a roll of 36, you don't always get those free frames ;)

It's from the weighted clips used to hang film to dry

Back