What would you buy next?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
There are currently 3 things on my "to buy" list:

Speedlight (either 420EX or 430EX depending on funds and what is available on fleabay)
BG-E3 Grip (already have 2 batteries)
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens

The lens is a way away from being bought as I dont have £280 spare right now, but the first two are a possibility - but I have to choose one.

In my position which would you get and why?

Well after my BG-E3 purchase yesterday, my 'to buy' list consists of the following.

Optech Pro Strap (Hopefully on my purchase list today)
Flashgun. Hoping to raise the cash for a 420 or 430 (again, will first be looking at ebay).
Monopod.
New Tripod (Using a Hama jobbie). Not super essential yet, but would like on.
New bag (Again, 7dayshop job), would like a Loweprowe Trekker though
Canon 50mm f1.8

That's my definately buying list (eventually), and probably in that order.

As for your question, I would personally buy the grip first. (I'm still quite excited after purchasing mine yesterday so may be somewhat biased...lol)

My reasoning was which would I get the most out of, buy that first. Then I thought "How many times to I use the flash, compared to how many times I pick up the camera and struggle to get it comfy, or shoot in portrait mode)...The grip obviously won hands down.

Personally - I would choose the grip.

Will balance the camera for when you start getting those bigger lenses, and bolt an external flash to the top. The additional battery, especially as you already have a second battery. Great for portrait shots.

Bachs did a review of the BG-E3 (Link), I would recommend reading it if you have not one so already.

I'd say go for the grip. The 20D is a tad small without the grip - the 350D must be more so. The grip really makes the camera a much chunkier handful and I find the weight helps avoid camera shake. When you come to sticking a heavy flashgun on top of the camera, the grip will help the whole thing feel more balanced and easier to hold. If you later add any heavy long lenses there's more to hold onto to support the weight with the grip fitted.

Having two batteries gives enormous battey life as well.

Thanks all

last question...

Grip Vs monopod.... would you still go for the grip?

Grip!! A monopod is only of limited use sometimes.

Remember - the grip will probably get as much use as the camera, lenses you will change, tripods/monpods you may or may not use depending on situations, and flashguns will not always be attached.

The battery grip once attached I would be amazed if you ever remove it to be honest.

I'd still go for the grip first.

I was sceptical and thought "yeah it'd be nice...but...". But once I'd taken the plunge and put it on the camera, I was amazed at how different the camera feels.

A few of us from here went to Chester Zoo a couple of months ago. 8 of us I think. Everyone except CT's good lady had a 20D (and of course Matt with his behemoth :D).
I had a 350, sans grip. I was happily playing along until CT let me have a play with his 20D with grip and L glass attached.

I held it, I enjoyed it. I tinkered and shot a couple, and enjoyed it some more.
I was handed mine back...

...I cried when I felt the difference. :D

another vote for the grip. As CT says the battery life is fantastic.

Ok grip it is then

Thanks everyone

Looks like you have already been convinced.

I can't imagine my 350d with the long lens and 580 flash on it without the grip...it would be very unbalanced.

Braeden said:
There are currently 3 things on my "to buy" list:

Speedlight (either 420EX or 430EX depending on funds and what is available on fleabay)
BG-E3 Grip (already have 2 batteries)
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens

That was my buy list too :shock:

I got the EF-S 60mm :thumb:

And in the last few weeks I got the 430ex :thumb:

Got the 70quid cash back for them too, which made it all the better :banana:

I'm just trying to sort finances for the Battery grip to go on the 20D. My battle for yet more camera gadgets has just taken a turn in my favour too, as my wife's sister wants me to shoot her wedding.

Did someone over there just say............1Ds MkII :naughty:

just to add:

Grip!

best thing ive bought so far. With the sigma zoom on its perfectly balanced!

Not strictly photographic, but 2x 250Gb hard drives are on my shopping list for January.

Well I have just ordered a BG-E3 grip :D

With regards hard drives, I have 3 PCs totalling 410Gb so no real need for extra drive space at the moment (plus I work for a computer manufaturer/retailer so I get hardware at cost from work).

I received my grip at just after 7am this morning! I am very pleased with the way it makes the camera feel more balanced now, plus I can hold it using all the fingers on my right hand instead of just 2 and a half!

Very worthwhile purchase, and for under £100 delivered (UK sourced not from HK) my wallet isn't hurting too badly either!

:thumb:

I paid 94.99 from fotosense.co.uk for mine.

Found today a link to a website selling it for £80. UK based too.
I'll be buggered if I can remember the link though....Will have a scout in my history later.

For now it's badminton time :)

Arkady said:
Not strictly photographic, but 2x 250Gb hard drives are on my shopping list for January.

I think i am heading in this direction too !

Also on my list is decent flash 430 or 580EX
24-105 lens if they sort out the flare issues !
cable release

Think that covers it ! until i think of something else ! lol

Excuse the bobbins quality of the shot but here is my setup with the grip and 580EX.

It's a bit heavy on the keyring these days :LOL:

IMG_8416.jpg

Pleased you posted that pic - I'm currently thinking (in a want but can I afford kind of way) of getting a 580EX but was worried about it being too bulky on the 350D. Seeing your pic it actually looks quite manageable.

Warspite said:
Pleased you posted that pic - I'm currently thinking (in a want but can I afford kind of way) of getting a 580EX but was worried about it being too bulky on the 350D. Seeing your pic it actually looks quite manageable.

The 550EX would probably be slightly over the line but the 580EX is smaller and more streamlined.

It feels quite comfortable to me, in fact I don't even bother taking it off at all even when it's not in use.

People tend to let me through to the front row with this setup :naughty:

Marcel said:
I paid 94.99 from fotosense.co.uk for mine.

Found today a link to a website selling it for £80. UK based too.
I'll be buggered if I can remember the link though....Will have a scout in my history later.

For now it's badminton time :)

That is what I paid for mine, and from the same place too, plus £5 for standard delivery - which actually came the next working day anyway!

cant recommend the Optech strap enough either!

EosD said:
cant recommend the Optech strap enough either!

And how much will that set me back roughly?

Not allowed to mention competitors on here. Sorry.
Consider yourself banned for even thinking of competitors.
Oh hang on a minute, forgot where we were for a moment then :D

Jessops list them on their site and in their catalogue for 16.99. However I have tried 2 different stores and they said they didn't carry them as standard, although they could order them from the warehouse for me, and to come back in a week or so.
Didn't get chance to try one of the bigger stores.

Or you could try ebay, or I think WHE doe them now don't they?

Dear lord, that's three different outlets I've mentioned there.....I bet there's ban buttons twitching somewhere! :D

As a purely aesthetical question for those who have plumped (or plan to) for one of these, what's the colour of choice?
I was thinking either black, or maybe the green. (Strange as it may sound, but for camouflage purposes, should I take to wildlife in the future)... :)

Regards

Ian was kind enough to bring me one back from his trp abroad and comparred to the Canon strap it is absolutely fantastic. My choice of colour was black to match the rest of my camera and not stand out too much, but the green is also subtle and for the nature shooters I can see the benefit. I believe Matt has the strap in green.

Forgot to add that Warehouse Express do stock them as standard and delivery is likely to be next day for those who are impatient. The larger Jessops do hold stock also but only usually one strap so finding one could be difficult…best to ring first?

Bachs said:
People tend to let me through to the front row with this setup :naughty:

How true - if you look the part, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to gain access to all sorts of events.

I was stooging round London a couple of years ago when I noticed there was a Vivienne Westwood Catwalk show on at the V&A. Popped in to see if I could get a look. Walked to the desk that said 'Press Passes' and said I was from Reuters and had come for my pass.
"Ohh we don't appear to have your application here Mr ***, hang on a mo," talks to supervisor who looks at the two D1x bodies and gubbins hanging off me, nods and lets me through!
Front row on the Photographers' stand at the end of the catwalk! Stayed for two shows as well, just to make really sure I'd seen everything.

Funny thing was that a lot of the 'real' pros were asking what white-balance settings I was using and I ended up showing about three of them the 'joys of RAW' as well as how to perform a custom white balance on the D1x.
I love my job...

Back