What would you keep from this lot

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I've reached that point where I've got too much stuff and I've lost the enjoyment of taking pictures due to all the bits lying around. :crying: I want to focus on 1-3 cameras that I can enjoy and collect all the bits for.

Which cameras would you keep out of this lot if you were me and why, I've used all of them and I love them all, so I need some voices of reason? I have lenses galore for all of them so ignore lenses for now.

1. Canon eos 500n (my first ever camera)
2. Canon AV-1 (no cough, good meter)
3. Canon T70 (My Dads old camera, light leak)
4. Olympus om10 silver (manual adapter)
5. Olympus om10 Black (manual adapter)
6. Minolta x-300
7. Praktica Nova B
8. Paktica Super TL
9. Zenit EM Black
10. Kodak retina 1B (given by a close friend, shutter jammed)
11. Baldinette Balda Bunde (gorgeous little 35mm, light leak)

This is the working batch, I collect box camera's and have well over 100 of those but they are displayed neatly so don't worry me.

I'd say, I'd it were me 2,6,9,11.

I don't really do Olympus, so by no means am I suggesting they wouldn't be worth keeping.

It all depends on what you paid and what the second hand value is. I have often thought of selling all my camera gear and starting again with either a pro camcorder ( I do like taking videos) or just one top of the range camera and a couple of pro lenses. Then I think of what I paid for them and how much cash I would loose.

Realspeed

Well my 2p worth:

6. The Minolta X300, a great camera
3. Canon T70, it was your dad's ( I still have my dad's Lightomatic RF camera) and the T series were very versatile
2. Canon AV-1, it is working has no cough and it will use the same FD lenses as the T70
the Canons also adapt well to M42 lenses

Others will have very different thoughts I am sure!

Last edited:
1,3 & 10 for sentimental reasons and 11 *** it's cute, the rest are just taking up valuable space :LOL:

Thats a hard question for me to answer as I try to enjoy everything I have but if i would be forced to down size I'd go with:

2, 5 and 9.

Oly is super easy, Canon is a great camera and Zenit is good for going back to basics. All systems have a wide range of lenses to chose from.

Minolta is great too.

1,3 & 10 for sentimental reasons and 11 *** it's cute, the rest are just taking up valuable space :LOL:

Why can't I spell ***? Is it *** spelling *** with a z isn't cool :cool:

Not fussed about what there worth vs what I paid, I bought them to use not as investments.

The Zenit seems popular, I think the T70 and 500n might have to stay for sentimental reasons. No love for the Prakticas on here it seems. No.11 is indeed cute RaglanSurf and it fits in my jeans pocket.

Steve there is an average of 4 lenses per body, so that makes roughly 50 medium sized things on the shelf + straps, books, filters, caps etc

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the Zenit is so popular... I think they're awful cameras to use! I'd much rather keep an OM-10 & adapter...

Keep 1, 3 & 10 for sentimental reasons and keep the black OM-10 to use.

Ok, I've made my desion and I'm thrilled it's as if a great weight has been lifted. I'm keeping:

Canon T70 with 50mm prime, 135mm prime, 70-200mm, 28-55mm, 2x converter
Canon 500n with, 50mm prime, 28-90mm, 100-300mm
Olympus om10 (silver) with, 28-70mm, 2x converter
Baldinette Balda Bunde with light meter & rangefinder.

That is me happy and finished. the rest are on their way out. :D

Thanks for your choices, even though I ignored most.

Last edited:
Ok, I've made my desion and I'm thrilled it's as if a great weight has been lifted. I'm keeping:

Canon T70 with 50mm prime, 135mm prime, 70-200mm, 28-55mm, 2x converter
Canon 500n with, 50mm prime, 28-90mm, 100-300mm
Olympus om10 (silver) with, 28-70mm, 2x converter
Baldinette Balda Bunde with light meter & rangefinder.

That is me happy and finished. the rest are on their way out. :D

Thanks for your choices, even though I ignored most.

Don't dare throwing them in a bin! ;)

2, 3, 8, 9, 11.

If you have an opportunity to keep all of them, just keep them all! Start collecting them!

Interesting that you kept the silver OM10 rather than the black. I'm a big fan of the OM cameras and lenses, and you don't see many black OM10s around.

I'd have kept the black, over the silver any day apart from the fact that I've got fonder memories of the silver.

Sell everything and buy some Nikon stuff.

You can't choose what to keep from that list cos there is no Nikon on it...:cool:

H'mm with the T70 it is interesting to know where the light leak is coming from as it doesn't suffer gummy seals like other old cameras, as it doesn't have any.
Anyway my choice would be T70 (if you can cure the light leak) and X300 for best of the rest.

H'mm with the T70 it is interesting to know where the light leak is coming from as it doesn't suffer gummy seals like other old cameras, as it doesn't have any.
Anyway my choice would be T70 (if you can cure the light leak) and X300 for best of the rest.

Once the post office go back to work tomorrow, it's off to Miles Whitehead to see if he can solve the problem. Not convinced it's a light leak now to be honest. Maybe an issue with the curtains.

Once the post office go back to work tomorrow, it's off to Miles Whitehead to see if he can solve the problem. Not convinced it's a light leak now to be honest. Maybe an issue with the curtains.

Fingers in vertical curtains can cause a problem ;)...but it's probably cheaper to keep it in a cupboard and if you like the T70 you can get another one for as little as £10.

Fingers in vertical curtains can cause a problem ;)...but it's probably cheaper to keep it in a cupboard and if you like the T70 you can get another one for as little as £10.

I know, but I really want this T70, haha, we'll see what miles has to say. I'm hoping it will be an easy/cheapish fix. More than £70 and it will be an ornament.

I know, but I really want this T70, haha, we'll see what miles has to say. I'm hoping it will be an easy/cheapish fix. More than £70 and it will be an ornament.

HUH! £70 you can get a excellent working T90 (without lens) for that. Jared don't spend that sort of money unless you are going to use it a lot as the LCD display was only supposed to last about 10 years from new and it's amazing its lasted this long, and one day all T70s and the rest of the T range will be door stops ........they will sorta fade away (pun).

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point Brian, the T70 was his Dad's old camera which gives it a value over and above the purely economic. Yes it may just be a temporary fix and it's life may be finite but if Jared can keep the camera going for a few years more and get enjoyment from it it's hard to put a price on that.
I have my father's old Nikkormat which cost much more to have CLA'd than I could have bought a replacement for, even if I bought from a dealer, it's not always just about the £'s.

I think you're missing the point Brian, the T70 was his Dad's old camera which gives it a value over and above the purely economic. Yes it may just be a temporary fix and it's life may be finite but if Jared can keep the camera going for a few years more and get enjoyment from it it's hard to put a price on that.
I have my father's old Nikkormat which cost much more to have CLA'd than I could have bought a replacement for, even if I bought from a dealer, it's not always just about the £'s.

:wave: True Nick but he could use his father's X-300 instead and have a T90 for £70 :)

Last edited:

I couldn't agree more. I much prefer my late father's Retinette 1B to my T90. Partly this is for sentimental reasons and partly because it actually works and doesn't have a display which says 'help' and another one which says 'EEE'!

I've been through a similar thing in the last year.

My cameras are now separated into 'ones i use' and 'decorative purposes with rare usage'. This way i don't end up with choice paralysis between a dozen or more cameras. Decide what kind of film cameras you want to shoot and why. I had a few modern film bodies like the EOS 500n, EOS 5, i even had a T90 but i thought why am i shooting these for they all feel too "digital" to use; the T90 is a bloody amazing camera don't get me wrong but it feels too modern and similar to a DSLR in form and use.

I decided i wanted a nice mix of usability and mechanical feel, so i ditched all the AF cameras (bar a couple of Olympus Mju-II compacts) and bought a Nikon FE and some primes. It has a nice mix of automation and manual features that make it feel totally different from shooting digital but not so annoying that i'd never use it; whipping out a light meter for 35mm is annoying but for medium format i don't mind, so a body with a very intuitive light meter but manual exposure controls was perfect.

Once i had 35mm sorted i decided that while i loved medium format all the old folders and TLR's i got really didn't work for me, the cameras were annoying enough to stop me using them, and they also got in my way. So i saved some money i got and bought a Bronica SQ-Ai medium format SLR system specced to how i like to work with a mix of auto and manual.

Anyway by doing all this i had paired down my choices to two film cameras (35mm SLR and MF SLR), and two digital (DSLR and a compact) with the rest at ornaments for show.

When you figure out what you want the camera to do, choosing which to keep is easy.

I couldn't agree more. I much prefer my late father's Retinette 1B to my T90. Partly this is for sentimental reasons and partly because it actually works and doesn't have a display which says 'help' and another one which says 'EEE'!

:LOL: Well I bought a Retinette 1b new in about 1958 and it only lasted a year or so before the shutter or meter stopped working...but if I had kept it in this state, would prefer my T90 as it's working properly. ;)

I've been through a similar thing in the last year.

My cameras are now separated into 'ones i use' and 'decorative purposes with rare usage'. This way i don't end up with choice paralysis between a dozen or more cameras. Decide what kind of film cameras you want to shoot and why. I had a few modern film bodies like the EOS 500n, EOS 5, i even had a T90 but i thought why am i shooting these for they all feel too "digital" to use; the T90 is a bloody amazing camera don't get me wrong but it feels too modern and similar to a DSLR in form and use.

I decided i wanted a nice mix of usability and mechanical feel, so i ditched all the AF cameras (bar a couple of Olympus Mju-II compacts) and bought a Nikon FE and some primes. It has a nice mix of automation and manual features that make it feel totally different from shooting digital but not so annoying that i'd never use it; whipping out a light meter for 35mm is annoying but for medium format i don't mind, so a body with a very intuitive light meter but manual exposure controls was perfect.

Once i had 35mm sorted i decided that while i loved medium format all the old folders and TLR's i got really didn't work for me, the cameras were annoying enough to stop me using them, and they also got in my way. So i saved some money i got and bought a Bronica SQ-Ai medium format SLR system specced to how i like to work with a mix of auto and manual.

Anyway by doing all this i had paired down my choices to two film cameras (35mm SLR and MF SLR), and two digital (DSLR and a compact) with the rest at ornaments for show.

When you figure out what you want the camera to do, choosing which to keep is easy.

Well I can't praise the T90 enough for what it cost, I always use it for important occasions when using the matching 300TL flash as you can set it to measure ambient light plus correct exposure of the subject on the film plane...snaps like this are so easy:-

T90 +300TL +sigma 24mm II.
Sigma24mm21000px-1.jpg

Well I can't praise the T90 enough for what it cost, I always use it for important occasions when using the matching 300TL flash as you can set it to measure ambient light plus correct exposure of the subject on the film plane...snaps like this are so easy:-

I must admit that for the 6 or so rolls I took with mine before the shutter jammed, it was a fine camera to use.

I'm undecided as to whether to get the EEE fault fixed, as I can't find out whether it's likely to reoccur if I don't use it for a month or two.

I must admit that for the 6 or so rolls I took with mine before the shutter jammed, it was a fine camera to use.

I'm undecided as to whether to get the EEE fault fixed, as I can't find out whether it's likely to reoccur if I don't use it for a month or two.

Have you tried all the dodges that some others have successfully tried (one guy got his for £10 and got it working) e.g. hold the shutter down and bring the camera down on a hard cushion is the common one.

Anyone living near Cambridge to try and get free pickup...as this might be worth a gamble as one might work if this job lot is cheap enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-Can...615163?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3a7fe1ea3b

BTW If anyone is confused about what's wrong with the T90? Well it has a major fault in that you just can't leave it in a drawer for a year or two as the shutter magnets (or whatever) stick and it would seem all those that switched to digital finally dug out their T90 and found it wasn't working with e EEE fault...so it's best to fire the shutter about every month.

Last edited:
Have you tried all the dodges that some others have successfully tried (one guy got his for £10 and got it working) e.g. hold the shutter down and bring the camera down on a hard cushion is the common one.

Anyone living near Cambridge to try and get free pickup...as this might be worth a gamble as one might work if this job lot is cheap enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-Can...615163?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item3a7fe1ea3b

BTW If anyone is confused about what's wrong with the T90? Well it has a major fault in that you just can't leave it in a drawer for a year or two as the shutter magnets (or whatever) stick and it would seem all those that switched to digital finally dug out their T90 and found it wasn't working with e EEE fault...so it's best to fire the shutter about every month.

I live near Cambridge, and I just got my own T90 working in exactly the way you describe, so I might bid on those! Mine was the usual fault with the shutter not firing and the camera making a soft clicking noise when trying to fire. It's now working fine again :cool:

I live near Cambridge, and I just got my own T90 working in exactly the way you describe, so I might bid on those! Mine was the usual fault with the shutter not firing and the camera making a soft clicking noise when trying to fire. It's now working fine again :cool:

Well if it was me, I'd make a bid of £8-10 for free pickup...but if they all had EEE faults I would go higher.....good luck (y)

Yes, I tried all the hit it/battery tray out etc dodges. It was exercised at least every 3 weeks. I've no use for a camera that sulks if you don't pay it enough attention, so I'll stick with my pair of A1s which do me just fine.

Yes, I tried all the hit it/battery tray out etc dodges. It was exercised at least every 3 weeks. I've no use for a camera that sulks if you don't pay it enough attention, so I'll stick with my pair of A1s which do me just fine.

Oh well...but if its been used for 30 years its done its job :shrug:

Back