What would you take?

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off on my jollies shortly, 2 weeks in Thailand, I'm undecided about what lens to take with me for my Olympus OM1, I will be taking a 60mm macro and 14-40, my dilemma is to I take 300f4, giving me a 600mm equivalent or 40-150f2.8 with a 1.4x t/c offering a wider focal range?

I've been on a guided trek through Thailand jungles, and TBH there wasn't really time to take pictures of wildlife, nor did we see much because it was a group of people crashing through the jungle. If you're there specifically for wildlife and know that you'll be given opportunities then take the big lens, but otherwise I'd leave it at home. Be aware that it can be extremely humid too in some parts.

I've been on a guided trek through Thailand jungles, and TBH there wasn't really time to take pictures of wildlife, nor did we see much because it was a group of people crashing through the jungle. If you're there specifically for wildlife and know that you'll be given opportunities then take the big lens, but otherwise I'd leave it at home. Be aware that it can be extremely humid too in some parts.

I’m going with SWMBO, staying in a hotel that is somewhat secluded, with woodland and a jungle area close by, there should be opportunities for birds, squirrels and reptiles, but there are lots of insect life within the ground.Yes, I have concerns regarding the humidity, looking at various web pages it can be anything upto 98% !!

Phuket is a tourist area IIRC, so wildlife may be less present than in a remote lodge area. Hopefully someone with more experience can add their comments to help you.

And yes, that's the kind of humidity I had in mind. We went there in 2007, and humidity is still something I remember very clearly indeed - after a day trekking in the jungle we felt like a damp bit of string.

Last edited:
It gets dark pretty early in Thailand so if any evening photography is involved one thing I'd want to take with me is a wide aperture lens especially with MFT. In fact the first time I went I took MFT with a f1.7 lens.

Heat and humidity may indeed need to be thought about. Mrs WW is in Chon Buri at the mo and says it's incredibly hot and humid and she's struggling to cope, and she is Thai. Chon Buri is on the Bay of Thailand, Phuket may be more so.

Oh and just for info. At one hot and humid place in Thailand (actually the most hot and humid place I've ever been) my GX7 gave a series of slightly OOF shots and it never did that before or since and I think the reason was that something misted up but strangely my Sony A7 worked perfectly in the same place. I don't know if this says anything really... just that the heat and humidity may be an issue and may affect the kit so taking note of what you see in the evf might be key to avoiding this.

Have a nice time :D Longest I've been was 10 days and it nearly killed me :D Stay hydrated and watch out for any ill effects.

Last edited:
I’m going with SWMBO, staying in a hotel that is somewhat secluded, with woodland and a jungle area close by, there should be opportunities for birds, squirrels and reptiles, but there are lots of insect life within the ground.Yes, I have concerns regarding the humidity, looking at various web pages it can be anything upto
Are you going into the woodland and jungle on a guided tour?

Reactions: mex
Are you going into the woodland and jungle on a guided tour?

Possibly (probably but she hasn't realised that yet ;) )yes, I have emailed a few guides to get an idea of I think would suit me best.

Back