What's going to happen to the price of the DSLRs in the UK this year?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Obviously in the long term all prices will come down, and that's usually the case in the short term too, but given the falling value of the pound (which will prbably fall further given the latest interest rate cut) against the yen, is it possible that some prices will go up in the short term?

I'm going to buy a D700, and I am not sure whether to buy it now, just after christmas, or in the new year. I don't have a particular need for it that makes me go and grab it now, as I'm busy with a house move etc. I'm also wondering if Nikon replace the 'free NX2' with a better deal in the new year (like cash back). But I would be particularly gutted if I'm finally 'ready' to buy it, and the price has gone up.

What are your thoughts? :)

wait until january at least!

If the pound keeps falling, which seems likely given the current and predicted intrest rate cuts then I would espect prices to continue to drift upwards next year. To counter that you may see some good offers such as cash back trying to promote sales but I wouldn't hold your breath on it working as people seem to be sitting on there hands at the minute.

We may also see an increase in second hand prices as availability will be lower, this is the inevitable result of a lack of pople buying brand new. Less people will be upgrading so they won't need to flog off there old kit, the second hand car market is predicting that prices will start to increase early next year.

That, or wait till the D800 (or whatever the next generation of nikon will be) and then buy the D700 :LOL:

There is no way ANY prices will 'drift up'! Not next year. The market is too tight for any increases, if you have any competition at all.

It's quite interesting really, there is a kind of push-pull when it comes to camera prices. First of all, there is the falling pound value, decreasing our purchasing power due to increasing import prices. And second, there will be a drop in prices from the manufacturer due to decrease demand and decrease costs due to the plummeting of oil prices.
There is always a decrease in demand for luxury products when there is a recession, and we can all agree that for hobbyists (which is a great portion of the market for DSLR) high end cameras is a luxury product. People are tighting their belts, and they will avoid upgrading their equipment, what with the credit crunch, falling house prices etc etc. So, which will prevail? The currency pushing up prices, or the decrease in costs and demand pulling prices down?

I personally believe it will come to the portion of the SLR market that the UK holds. I think the Japanese will try and take advantage of the situation and drain the American market off their "hard earned" income, but in the same time, I think we will see a relative decrease in the US-UK price difference. Bottom line we wont see Canon or Nikon (or third party companies) offering the same product in the US for $1000 and in the UK for £1000 like they used to.

This whole situation makes UK retailers better off. THe time when it was worth to take the risk of trying to avoid customs is now over, since the pound is at a historically low point, and it comes to about the same amount of money ordering from abroad or buying locally.

I think time will show, but prices wont increase IMO.

There is no way ANY prices will 'drift up'! Not next year. The market is too tight for any increases, if you have any competition at all.

The way the electronics market in general is going to be affected, I wouldn't be so sure. :)

Thanks for you thoughts. I can add this though, if the price of the D700 were to go up, it wouldn't cost me any more :guilty: :confused: :D :love: :clap: :woot: :banana:

Prices will have to go up. If we take Jessops as an example, they were in trouble making profit when it was $1.95 to the pound, now its $1.45 to the pound.

That's a significant chunk of their margin (if not all) gone due to currency.

I think we'll see lenses go up for sure, bodies I think we go up too, but not as much.

With the yesterdays interest rate cut, the £ will weaken further again the Yen which won't help.

Weakening pound will worsen the situation sadly and inflationary pressures will be brought to bare with interest rates as low as they are. If inflation starts to run away then expect interest rates to be used as a very blunt instrument.
If you can stick with what you have I would do so.

boyth Canon & Sony have indicated that there will need to be some price adjustment to compensate for exchange rate changes. If you loook at the £ against the yen from Dec 2007 to now it's shifted about 40% which is more than any business will have built in as a contingency.

I went into my local photog shop today and was speaking with one of the sales men. The prices of both the Canon and Sony will be going up on Jan 1st :(
To give you a idea the sony A200 is going up £40 on Jan 1st from £279 to £319. Looks like buying this side of new year with the cash back offers may be the best value. Personally I am going to hold on untill boxing day sales and see if I can find a bargin and still get the cash back offer.

wait until january at least!

Agreed, it may not make a great deal of difference but it's certainly worth a punt to wait another 3 weeks after all you have nothing to lose but possibly a bit to gain, some shops like John Lewis have one of those crazy boxing day sales, a guy i work with picked up a 350d last year for £75 from John Lewis, although sometimes you have to que for half the night :D

it's certainly worth a punt to wait another 3 weeks after all you have nothing to lose but possibly a bit to gain
Well that's obviously not quite true:
I went into my local photog shop today and was speaking with one of the sales men. The prices of both the Canon and Sony will be going up on Jan 1st :(
So, unusually, there is a risk in waiting.

Well it seems they have. The D700 is now £100 more than a month ago, and nearly £300 more at Jessops where I got it from.

Yeah its gone a bit mental.

I got my current D700 for £1200 (thanks to Nikon Cafe), used prices were about £1350 then in November 2008, I've seen used ones go for £1500 now on Ebay just recently.

Thanks to buying jessops vouchers at 20% under face value, I got mine new for £1300. Beauty.

Back