What's happened to Flickr?

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
Wanted to upload a couple of photos and it seems Flickr's been down since this morning. Not even a home page, just a black and white drawing of a panda! Perhaps @Server Hamster needs to go over and show them what to do?

Flickr went off line at 5pm PDT yesterday (May 22, 2019) so SmugMug could move it from Yahoo's servers to Amazon's. Apparently it has not gone well nor as planned. The downtime was stated to be expected to be for just 12 hours, and the site was supposed to be up and running once more by 5am PDT. But, at this writing (approx. 8:30am PDT) the site is still down. It has been a very unstable site for the past month. Have heard lots of excuses why. But, none of them rang true. More seemed that the admin team was just in over their head dealing with all the site's growing issues. That is proven to be true by the present situation there. When and in what condition it will be when it finally comes back online is anyone's guess. If you have an account there, I hope you are fully backed up. Good luck.

Last edited:
Wanted to upload a couple of photos and it seems Flickr's been down since this morning. Not even a home page, just a black and white drawing of a panda! Perhaps @Server Hamster needs to go over and show them what to do?

Did see a notice about scheduled maintenance starting 22nd May (in one of the Stateside timezones) on my homepage a few days ago.

GC

HOPEFULLY THEY WILL SORT IT OUT

Update - May 23, 2019 update:
As of 5:45am PDT, our team is still hard at work completing some final steps to bring the site back online — it’s taken a little bit longer than we hoped, but we expect to be up and running within the next several hours. Thank you for your patience!
May 23, 06:03 PDT

I note any hotlinked images are functioning, but I didn't check them earlier.

Flickr went off line at 5pm PDT yesterday (May 22, 2019) so SmugMug could move it from Yahoo's servers to Amazon's. Apparently it has not gone well nor as planned. The downtime was stated to be expected to be for just 12 hours, and the site was supposed to be up and running once more by 5am PDT. But, at this writing (approx. 8:30am PDT) the site is still down. It has been a very unstable site for the past month. Have heard lots of excuses why. But, none of them rang true. More seemed that the admin team was just in over their head dealing with all the site's growing issues. That is proven to be true by the present situation there. When and in what condition it will be when it finally comes back online is anyone's guess. If you have an account there, I hope you are fully backed up. Good luck.

thanks...
Geof

The screen notice has now changed to “we are in the final stages “ no mention of we will up our prices to ensure you pay for it though

The screen notice has now changed to “we are in the final stages “ no mention of we will up our prices to ensure you pay for it though
That'd be funny if it wasn't a case of many a true word spoken in jest ;)
I'm getting that damned panda and
Flickr will be down for a few hours while we move a huge piece of infrastructure to our new hosting platform,

Been really p***ing me off lately Flickr, It's worse now in general that it was before I was paying!! I'm getting the bad panda image every so often, too often! even when they're no doing maintainence. The other day i was trying to run a search and not a hope of it complying, kept telling me there was an error and to try again later. Try again later to search for a f'ing lens! And this is £5 p.m .... things better have improved a lot after they do this shift

Update - We're making good progress and getting closer to getting the site back up. Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned for updates here as soon as we have them.
May 23, 10:25 PDT

from flickr

Last edited:

Update - We're making good progress and getting closer to getting the site back up. Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned for updates here as soon as we have them.
May 23, 10:25 PDT

from flickr
In other words, another kok up.

Things like this are bound to happen. But it's only Flickr, so it's no big shxt. My technique is to just relax.

Speaking generally, maybe people are over-dependent on this weird modern thing that they call the internet. Has anybody heard that life could often be pretty good before it existed?

A somewhat gratuitous remark. It's a large & complex tech enterprise. Could you run it better ...?

Well no s*** sherlock. Did I suggest I could? NO!

Speaking generally, maybe people are over-dependent on this weird modern thing that they call the internet. Has anybody heard that life could often be pretty good before it existed?
I remember it well, and it could also be pretty bloody boring in those days too, and very frustrating if you couldn't find the thing you wanted in your local shop, or the neighbouring town (after a 20 min drive there, and an hour or so trudging round the place). As usual, there are pros and cons with everything, but it's never been easier to find what you want photography wise; but make the most of it, as nothing lasts forever!

Last edited:
Yes indeed, we are all mortal.
I remember cycling around all the local towns one Good Friday in the late 1970s trying to find a chemist shop that was open so I could buy a roll of 35mm film for my camera. I ended up coming home empty handed as nowhere was open that sold film. In those days no film = no photography! Can you imagine that happening these days? Even a small supermarket sells memory cards, and that's if the camera on your smartphone isn't working!

Anyway, after that trip down misery lane, let's get back to moaning about the lack of Flickr! ;)

Last edited:
If you are going to move your platform. Then make sure it will work. This is human error not a computer error

Good job you used the internet to preach this to us or we'd never know!

I couldn't give a rat's about Flickr being down for a day, what does annoy me is I'm now paying for it, and when i do go on there which is once every few days or so - it's often acting up. It didn't do so when it was free!

We’re back online

We just finished re-engineering Flickr’s underlying infrastructure. You may come across a few parts of the site that aren’t working perfectly, but we will be addressing them soon. You can always share your feedback with us on the Help Forum or at the Flickr Help Center.

Just looked and yep, but a few weeks ago they asked me to switch my log in details, great so I did,
since then it's gone back to the old yahoo one WRF
Today I use Yahoo to sign in only to be told I need to use the new login, what a mess up

Just tried uploading to it and just keep getting the message image timed out within a couple of seconds
So still a few bugs left to iron out

Tried at 07:15, got into site, but got '502 BAD GATEWAY' when I tried to upload........Now it's offline 'being fixed' what ever that means

Site is back, search is still screwed up, GG Flickr

"Oh noes! We couldn't process your search.
Please change it up a bit and try again."

If you are going to move your platform. Then make sure it will work. This is human error not a computer error
Computers are just dumb machines that execute instructions, other than actual hardware failures, it's always human error. With any non-trivial system no single person can understand all of it, so it takes a team of people and teams need to communicate and human communications are messy and prone to error and misinterpretation. That is, more often than not, where it goes wrong.

It does make you wonder if they couldn’t have had a period of parallel running though and move people across in stages rather than as a “big bang”.

OK so they're moving to AWS cloud hosting. Just like much of UK govt. Oh sh**

I foresee regular pricing changes going forward, to support AWS domination of the world. (ok over-reaction but it troubles me, the increasing dominance of this company and its many offshoots)
(Has anyone read/seen the play "The Bedsitting Room" by Spike Milligan & John Antrobus? set in a post-apocalyptic world dominated by the corporate entities Daz and Omo? Read Amazon and Microsoft for those two)

It does make you wonder if they couldn’t have had a period of parallel running though and move people across in stages rather than as a “big bang”.
That would have required a manager who knows how IT works and what to avoid. In 35 years I think I came across one but he gave up and went back to working for a living. :thinking:

Still getting nothing on mine ,just the white update page

It's back up for me, but trying to upload anything is a no go...

I managed to log in but got a 502 bad gateway error at first. Clicked refresh and it let me in. My photostream seems to be as it was before which is good. I can only imagine how big of a job this has been for them, moving billions of photos and all the site backend over to a new provider. There was a notice yesterday that they will be releasing a new Android app in the next couple of weeks too, and the old one will stop working as a result of this change.

Keep trying. It worked for me eventually, but it’s not consistent. I presume their servers are now being swamped.

So... unless it's life-or-death how about NOT trying until things have settled down, I'm sure most people could help by backing off for a few hours :)

Back