Whats in the field behind my house?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of a stab in the dark this one. My garden backs onto 3 acres of scrub land. Its a Dell, a valley, with a beck running through the bottom of it.
In our garden we get pheasants every day, ive seen a fox, lots of Robins and Tits, a deer in the distant woods, a bird of prey fly over (once) and general garden birds. Today a woodpecker landed on our birdfeeder for a brief second, then flew off. Ive never seen one before. Amazing.
In the corner of the land are 2 old disused barns/builidings. Theyre locked up, a fabricated concrete and corrugated roof shack. You can just see them behind my shed.

Im keen to know if there might be more wildlife to see if i just went and set up my camera in the field.. Where would be best to set up, would i need a hide, what times of day would be best to photograph wildlife?
I am not a wildlife photographer but would like to capture an owl or fox. But mostly the woodpecker and owl.
101513761_1587510408092650_702826481222418432_n by jason greenwood, on Flickr

If you have (legal) access to the area, have a mooch about in there and see what you can find. I'd almost be surprised if there wasn't a fox family in there somewhere, along with some rabbits. You'd probably have heard any Tawny Owls calling to each other if they were there. Might possibly be some deer if there's access to other areas of woodland/scrub/open country

I have open access to it all from my garden. My neighbour owns it and its currently up for sale. As long as im respectful to the area, theres no problems. I wouldn't know how to spot any potential fox holes or wildlife habitats. Also, any signs of where the woodpecker could be hanging out.

Have a look to see if there are any obvious tracks in the area that look as if they are animal ones and try setting up close to one. You could also put some food down(peanuts are good - eaten by badgers, foxes etc and not obvious).

One the point - do the public have or get access to this area? If so, any camera you put down could be at risk.

Dave

Yes there is public access but not many people as there's nothing there to do. No recognised walkways or bridle paths.

OK, a new development. My wife spotted a family of foxes in the field, see new photo with circled area. This is slightly lower than ground level so quite hidden, but we can just see them from our bedroom window. How close dare I get to get some good photos? I have a 200-500mm lens on DX and could push to a 1.4 TC on that if needed. I don't want to spook them.
101513761_1587510408092650_702826481222418432_n by jason greenwood, on Flickr

The trees and bushes along the left, near to the other houses are a prime spot to conceal yourself and just sit and wait. You might be surprised what a few hours sat quietly in there could reveal. Put the time in and you'll be rewarded I'm sure. Watch the wind, particularly with foxes, you don't want it carrying your scent to them, this is a general rule of thumb with wildlife. Don't worry about images straight off the bat, see what's going on first, there will be set patterns to any resident's behaviour. Most resident wildlife will get to know you, it takes a while but once they see you as no threat, generally speaking, they will go about their business.

Then you're in. (y)

Get yourself a camping chair and some camouflage netting.
As @Dale. Says, if you conceal yourself and are patient you will see them.

Good advice, thanks gents. Last night they were out about 21:00 onwards so that's my plan, dig in somewhere. Ive not got any camo but I have a green coat and trousers.

A cammo face veil is an asset also- your face will stand out the most as will your hands -

I have one very similar to this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2644152322...7779&msclkid=876dfee9d4d81e8e38a3a03ee9372bd8

I personally would sit down in a well wooded area and use a tripod, that is how I grabbed this shot of a Stoat last year, cammo and little movement from me :)

Stoat @ Greylake by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Good luck

Les :)

Good advice, thanks gents. Last night they were out about 21:00 onwards so that's my plan, dig in somewhere. Ive not got any camo but I have a green coat and trousers.

Even dark/black clothing will suffice if you're in the undergrowth and shadows.

I had planned to go out the other night but it started to rain. Ive also bought a sub £50 trail cam which is now strapped to the tree in my garden. I might take it into the dell in a few days and hide it somewhere to see what pops up. Im enjoying this.

I had planned to go out the other night but it started to rain. Ive also bought a sub £50 trail cam which is now strapped to the tree in my garden. I might take it into the dell in a few days and hide it somewhere to see what pops up. Im enjoying this.
You're lucky having that ground right next to your garden.
Looking forward to seeing what the camera shows.

Back