What's the best photo hosting site??

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if anybody could point me in the direction of a GOOD photohosting site??

I've tried many since I started with digital cameras, but I've yet to find one I'm really pleased with. I don't mind paying a fee (as long as it's not too expensive - I'm retired, and funds can get a bit low sometimes)

The best I've come across so far is Flikr, but it still seems to me that a lot of detail is lost when the originals are compressed in uploading and storage. I've also found that on the uplifted images there are all kinds of unwanted artifacts which, frankly, make the taking of clean technical images something of a joke, in that a snap from a cheap point and shoot can look as good as one carefully taken with first class equipment.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Doug

Well you could host them on here - each user gets a gallery with a generous amount of space and allows a very good resolution for images, alternatively you could use Photobucket.

I use PBase for many of my photos, I tried Flickr too but found it a bit fiddly to use...I do pay a small amount to use PBase but you can upload any size of photo within the space you paid for...its upgradable too, I love it :)

PBase looks good, thanks Marianne.

I'm going to upload a few jpgs to see how they look.

I did get a Flickr Pro account a couple of months ago, until I got very annoyed with the way that, although I upload 700px versions, (which stay untouched at that size, which is fine), the resized versions have a very strong sharpening algorithm applied, so when they look fine at 700px (I do my own sharpening), I was getting people browsing through the smaller versions leaving comments that they were oversharpened.

At the moment I'm back to using my own hosting.

I will continue to use Flickr, but not as heavily as I used to.

I have used Fotki for a number of years now and it's free with 50MB of space. You can also subscribe as i have and get unlimited space, selling etc

sticking them on the free space from your own isp is good, but limited in size.

i use many bits and bobs but in the process of just paying to host my own

personally i favour the free Talk Photography gallery space that comes free with every account. 'ave it

Back