What's your favourite prime and why?

I'm a bit of a Nikon (and Fuji) snob but I can't deny the brilliance of my wife's Sigma 35/1.4

I suppose the lens I would find it hard to live without is my modified 10.5mm fisheye

Truth be told the Sigma 85 is easily as good as the canon 85 1.2. Faster AF, not nearly as well constructed. That lens blew me away.

EF 500mm f4 for me.

Use it more than all my other lenses combined and lucky to have it. Bit heavy but mostly on a tripod or a waist mount monopod. Very sharp and I'd be lost without it.

modified how? I loved my Nikkor 10.5mm and when I moved over to Canon FF the Canon 15mm was first on my list and I remember being very disappointed compared to the 10.5 on the D7000

I cut the hood off, similar story to yourself, I went full frame and was very uninspired by the 16mm jobbie so a bit of engineering on the 10.5 allowed me to produce these on the bigger sensor:

DCN_1592.jpg

ty.jpg

My favourite is the Canon 35mm F1.4 (because it's the only prime I have).
It's quite durable. reasonably small.
I am now skint.

Believe it or not my favourite is a 50 year old Oly Zuiko 1.8 38mm which on the m4/3 system is a lovely portrait lens.

Currently my M42 mount Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar Zebra 50mm 2.8 that i won on ebay for £8. Tack sharp and creates perfectly round bokeh bubbles. Has a sticky manual focus ring but i can live with that, makes it even more charming.

I'm a bit of a Nikon (and Fuji) snob but I can't deny the brilliance of my wife's Sigma 35/1.4

The Sigma 34 1.4 is very nice indeed. At present it's the widest lens I have, don't feel I need any wider on FX, for now at least. I posted way back in this thread that all I use now are primes. Nothing has changed, Still got the 35 1.4 Sigma, Nikon 85 1.8G, Sigma 150mm macro OS and the Nikon 300 f4 with a 1.4x TC.

That pretty much covers all for me. I have a couple of weddings upcoming, early summer, where I might require something a little wider. The 150 is currently up for sale. I might just get a standard short zoom for group shots. But I much prefer primes. Stick 'em on, and go shoot, I like simplicity.

85mm is so good, so versatile. On FX at least. I had an old 85 1.4 on my D90, but often found it way too tight indoors. The 1.8G is so light and fun to use. I'd like the 1.4G, but I didn't think there would be that much difference to warrant the extra expense.

I only have one prime, a Sigma 105 f2.8 macro. Used mainly for macro.

Never felt the need for any more as I also have the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and the Nikon 70-200 f4. Guess I may be missing out but have always been happy with the IQ and functionality of what I have.

Ok, please tell me how can i answer this thread title? I have many primes on different formats [35mm DSLR, medium format and large format], so if i have 2-4 primes i may answer, but i have over 10 primes and almost all are high quality, so how can i tell which one is my favourite? I bought them after long search and read and bought them because i know their quality, each can be used for different applications, so really i can't answer this thread.

Ok, please tell me how can i answer this thread title? I have many primes on different formats [35mm DSLR, medium format and large format], so if i have 2-4 primes i may answer, but i have over 10 primes and almost all are high quality, so how can i tell which one is my favourite? I bought them after long search and read and bought them because i know their quality, each can be used for different applications, so really i can't answer this thread.

You could tell us what your favourite prime is for each format...

I too am thinking about a sigma 30mm 1.4, got my eye on one in the classifieds here.
Find 50mm a bit long on crop for indoors etc.
Has ony one else used one and can vouch for it? looks good from what i've seen but nobody here seems to favour it?

Thanks

Nick

The 35? Loads of people on here use and love it. Not seen anyone have any complaints. There was a thread on it last year, probably just sunk away after a while.

It's an excellent lens, read a lot of reviews that say it's as good if not better than the Nikon 35mm 1.4, for half the price, or less.

The 35? Loads of people on here use and love it. Not seen anyone have any complaints. There was a thread on it last year, probably just sunk away after a while.

It's an excellent lens, read a lot of reviews that say it's as good if not better than the Nikon 35mm 1.4, for half the price, or less.

The 30mm 1.4
as found >>>Here<<<

Modern Zeiss dslr-fit Distagons and Planars - they are not without defects but are so bloody tactile. And of course totally silent. You're fooked if you want autofocus, though.

Canon EF 200mm f/2 L IS USM, without a question.

If you've ever used one, you'll know why.

I have two favorites :exit:

Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro and my Sony 35mm f1.8

Les ;)

Samyang 85 f1.4. Loved it on both the D90 and D800.

I like the results from it. Also the fact that it's manual focus, makes me feel I've worked a bit harder to get the shot (especially if it's of the kids at f1.4!)

S

The Zeiss Touit 50mm f2.8 - superb mid-range telephoto, the ideal portrait lens which also boots 1:1 macro. Not only extremely versatile but optically brilliant ! Extremely fast to focus and very light.

Back