Whats your problem?

Edit My Images
Yes
I think everyone must have a main problem they think about and try and improve on in photography, such as composition, exposure or post processing, whats yours?

My main problem or issue I have is the aperture. I very rarely change the aperture for shots, I think about exposure, shutter speed and Iso but never really think to change the aperture. It's usually on something like f/8 in sunshine or if I need more light I increase it to f/3.5-f/5.6.

I rarely think about what the best aperture is for the photo I am taking even though i know I should. This is something I am trying to improve over the next few months, matching aperture with the shot I want to take so hopefully that part of my photography will improve.

So what is your problem or thing you are focusing on improving in the near future?

Put it in Av, and don't think of it as light balance to get the shot, think of it as how much DoF you want.

Put it in Av, and don't think of it as light balance to get the shot, think of it as how much DoF you want.

I use AV most of the time but still mainly use the defaults in my previous post. I'm trying to get myself out of the habit and use the button at the front more too before I take the shot.:D

Mine is remembering ISO, so much so, I've added a little sticker to the back of the cam saying "Check ISO Numpty"

Snap!
After spending a couple of hours out at a funfair, taking loads of long exposure shots, imagine my horror when I noticed on the way home that I'd had the ISO set to 800. Brilliant. :bonk:

Mine is taking my time. I get so lost in getting the correct exposure that I forget no matter how good the exposure is if the picture doesn't captivate it doesn't work... SLOW DOWN, is what I need to learn.

composition and content...i suck at everything, but those 2 more than anything else

My memory.

I need to remember to check the settings before I start and I need to remember I do need to set aperture and shutter speed and make sure it will be exposed correctly.

Still getting used to using in manual, have spent far too long on a compact camera which just works it all out for you.

Spoilt some shots last weekend just because I forgot to check everything.

Andrea

My main problem or issue I have is the aperture. I very rarely change the aperture for shots, I think about exposure, shutter speed and Iso but never really think to change the aperture. It's usually on something like f/8 in sunshine or if I need more light I increase it to f/3.5-f/5.6.

You're really thinking of the aperture in the wrong terms in thinking of it as giving more or less light. If you're shooting in AV mode the shutter speed automatically changes to maintain the same exposure value anyway. In other words, in any given light, the aperture allows a thinner or wider shaft of light to enter the camera, depending on which one you set, while the shutter controls the amount of time the light is allowed to fall on the sensor, but all the possible combinations of the two settings maintain the same amount of exposure.

The only time you should think of the aperture as giving more light is when you want to deliberately give more exposure than is indicated by the meter which in AV mode is what the Exposure Compensation setting is for. :)

shooting everything in aperture priority, not taking time to compose, not thinking things thru, the list is endless.........

Thinking most of the photos I take are rubbish and resisting the urge to bin EVERYTHING when I really start throwing tantrums.

And, ISO shooting what might have been a great shot (but not because everything is rubbish remember) and realising that the ISO is wrong, wrong, wrong :bang:

And soft images, for the last few months almost everything has come out looking a bit too soft.

I could go on :thumbsdown:

And soft images, for the last few months almost everything has come out looking a bit too soft.

That happens to everyone sooner or later - its very easy to get lax with your hand holding technique and have to rethink the basics. I always use a tripod when I can, but the new love in my life (Angelina Jolie has deffed all my calls) is a monopod - very light and no trouble to cart around. :)

That happens to everyone sooner or later - its very easy to get lax with your hand holding technique

I've got a monopod :) Never used it :shrug: Gonna dig it out :D Will it help with the rest of my problems too d'ya think....? :p :thinking: :p

Not taking enough time to really think through what it is I'm trying to capture......still got the point and click mentality, I think. Occasionally getting it right....and then wondering why I can't do it again, hence my comment in another post about more luck than judgement! :)

Still, this is one hobby I am really enjoying and can't imagine ever stopping, so onwards and upwards!

Mine is remembering ISO, so much so, I've added a little sticker to the back of the cam saying "Check ISO Numpty"

Lol. I could do with that too!

I leave ISO at 100 unless I need to handhold in the dark when I will initially set it to something like 1600. Once I start shooting though I completely forget it exists. If I could only get a shutter speed of say 1/60th at 200mm I would never think of increasing the ISO, instead I would just hope I could be steady enough.

Unfortunately for me, my general suckyness is a bigger problem.

Michael.

How long have you got? Problems:

Lack of money. I know better gear won't improve my photography but being able to by different gear to try the stuff I want might.

Lack of inspiration. At the minute I'm struggling to find things I want to take pictures of so my camera is just gathering dust.

Lack of style. There's a few people on certain forums who have a style of their own. I can look at a picture and know who took it. I reckon there's fewer people out there with a style than there are people without a style. I just wish I was one of the ones with one.

Mine is definately too much variation in the styles I use. My wildlife images are the exception to the rule but coming from a very Photoshop & Illustrator based background, I'll normally jump from HDR style images to high saturation images, to high or low key, to old, victorian style images to heavily computer reliant techniques - whatever works for the image but just doesnt make for a very consistent portfolio :LOL:
Oh, that & those sealions at the Zoo that deliberately go out of their way to ensure I never get the photo I want of them :bat: :LOL:

When the time comes I almost invariably forget to check the background of the shot I want to take, so end up with drainpipes/plants/lamp posts coming out of heads or otherwise intruding.

I think that people tend to think too much, from a technical point of view. I see so many technically perfect shots but they lack the WOW factor. Im as guilty of this as the next person so occasionally I will just slow down take a deep breath and look at the image im going to take then look away and back again. How can this shot be better, lower point of view? higher? think black and white? close up?

I did about a quarter mile on an uphill incline the other week with the 500 and the ID on my back in the long lens case. I thought my thighs were gonna burst.:eek: Must get more exercise. :cautious:

Forgetting that the viewfinder only has 98% coverage and finding things creeping into the corners and edges of my shot that I don't want.

Getting all excited when I'm somewhere nice and 'thelightsgoodgottagettheshotfiltersexposurecheckhistogram' only to find I've cocked up something important or there's a water droplet etc.

Gardening my Interiors properly. BLOODY REMOTE CONTROLS! I'm stealing everybodies from now on!

Leaving enough time to get to appointments.

I could go on, but suffice to say, I don't think I'll ever be perfect.

i need to go to the gym more so i can carry the 600 ! lol i also need to find the talent fairy and smack it about a bit and while im there ill find the motivation fairy and give that a kicking too lol ;)

When you find the let me know.:LOL:

If I listed my problems, it would spread over several pages :LOL:

Main one being that I have no artistic talent. Guess I'm more a snapper that a photographer.

The sticker for ISO is a VERY good idea for me too :bang:

I suppose for me, it`s seeing the shot. I`m still a very early beginner, and I`m trying to get away from the "snapshot" type photo.

That`s the biggy for me.

charging my batteries and remembering to take memory cards is mine lol......

nah im super critical i just need to calm it down now and again and remember why i got into this in the first place!

although post processing is prob my main one, i hardly have a clue lol

The internet isn't big enough to list my failings as a photographer :(

Attention for detail would have to be mine. I'm gradually training myself to check ALL my settings before I start with something as the number of times I've got stuck in only to realise that the reason the camera won't focus is because I have the wrong focus point selected/servo mode on/lens switched to manual is endless.

Lack of experiance i think, i know what i want, just not how to get all the time, although improving i thing, finding myself using manuel 95% off the time now.

Getting those shots are different, and not just sharpe, and well exposed

Getting cross with the camera. The camera is taking ages to write the pic to the card, so the buttons aint doing anything, meanwhile the birdy has flown and I'm whacking the camera against a post to get it working again :bang:

Guess now I've written that I can't sell my camera on Ebay with "Good condition" written beside it :LOL:

One of my main problems is soft images. Also the D50's minimum is 200 ISO and sometimes I can see the noise even in good conditions.

Panzer

Back