When are people going to realise

Going off topic (as so many other people have) my TV remote stopped working, needed 2 x AAA batteries. Could buy 2 via eBay for £2.99 or could buy 4 for £4.95, but I decided to go to Asda instead.
They don't offer a pack of 2, a pack of 4 was £5.95. I didn't buy them because there was a horrendous queue at the tills. On the way home I stopped for diesel and bought a pack of 4 (again, a pack of 2 not available) for £5.95.

How can an online seller sell the same product for £1 less, with free delivery? That's why most of us now buy online, we not only have more choice, we also have lower prices and zero hassle.

This has absolutely nothing to do with grey imports, where VAT and duty is evaded, making it impossible for legitimate online sellers to compete on price . . .

University degree: OK, means they want people who have a proven ability to understand things.
Attractive: Well, dubious as that may be, I suppose it is nicer if you are being attended to by someone pleasant to look at.
Not over 55kg: Again, a little dubious, but it keeps out 25 stone sweaty munters, who are likely to put people off.
But not over 5'3"?: That's just weird. Why would that be important? Unless they keep all their backroom goods in tiny cellars.
I left out female and under 25.
I guess the height might be because they are generally shorter and don't want customers intimidated.
Never really given it much thought, except how it would be viewed here. Not being critical either, different world (better in most ways) and different ways of doing things.

How can an online seller sell the same product for £1 less, with free delivery? That's why most of us now buy online, we not only have more choice, we also have lower prices and zero hassle.
Because it is cheaper to hold your stock in one location, with no need for display units, much lower business rents, gig-economy wage rates, a processing line for sending things out by another gig-economy delivery service, compared with holding your stock in multiple units across the country, high rent and rates per sq mt, a requirement for a trained person to be there, display units, a shelf filling operation, and so on.

I agreee

It does, but for some reason these companies always make a mistake when completing the customs form. A £2000 lens is described as £20 worth of children's clothing . . .
That's evasion, which is illegal.

If they do that then it is illegal. However I have never experienced that myself.
No doubt that if they were caught, they would lose the goods and be prosecuted.
As grey importers are operating to countries all over the world and at an industrial scale. It would hardly be worth the risk.

However small, individual, far east traders do seem to push their luck, and it is probably worth the risk.
As catching them would be largely down to luck. But with modern automatic package scanning and AI techniques more of them will be caught. Automatically comparing the contents to the export label would draw attention to errors at once.

Going off topic (as so many other people have) my TV remote stopped working, needed 2 x AAA batteries. Could buy 2 via eBay for £2.99 or could buy 4 for £4.95, but I decided to go to Asda instead.
They don't offer a pack of 2, a pack of 4 was £5.95. I didn't buy them because there was a horrendous queue at the tills. On the way home I stopped for diesel and bought a pack of 4 (again, a pack of 2 not available) for £5.95.

. .

The price you paid was for convenience !

I buy alkaline batteries 40 at a time, AAA is 10.95 for 40 (1.99 for 4 at the same price)
Postage is free if my order is over £20.

If you take the convenient route and auto renew you insurance or broadband and similar, you will pay 25-30% more than you need to.

Shopping/buying of anything takes planning and effort, I'm sometimes amazed at what some people pay for groceries, just to make it easy :)

This has absolutely nothing to do with grey imports, where VAT and duty is evaded, making it impossible for legitimate online sellers to compete on price . . .
I always buy batteries at least by the dozen. Then the prices are really low.
I buy over 90% of everything on line these days.

I left out female and under 25.
I guess the height might be because they are generally shorter and don't want customers intimidated.
Never really given it much thought, except how it would be viewed here. Not being critical either, different world (better in most ways) and different ways of doing things.

Now you've added that, I'm a little suspicious of the shop owners motives. Basically he's after some one young, good-looking, trim, female and bright and so short she doesn't have to bend down to, er, well, anyway, she doesn't have to bend down o_O. Not sure the person is after a sales assistant as much as a young girl who can just 'assist', whether the shop is open or not. I shan't be applying -- unless it's as the shop owner :)

Now you've added that, I'm a little suspicious of the shop owners motives. Basically he's after some one young, good-looking, trim, female and bright and so short she doesn't have to bend down to, er, well, anyway, she doesn't have to bend down o_O. Not sure the person is after a sales assistant as much as a young girl who can just 'assist', whether the shop is open or not. I shan't be applying -- unless it's as the shop owner :)
Yes, that about sums up how I think people here would see it, but it isn't the normal line of thought there :)

I've got no idea how much cheaper a grey import Canon R7 is compared to the usual Wex / Park / LCE outlets. When I got my 6Dii I had it less than a week and it was going a bit wrong on me and naturally I was bitterly disappointed.... However, when I went into my local retailer and explained the problems with it, they were really helpful and got it all sorted for me.

I am glad to have that peace of mind when buying from the local retailer that you will get the best back-up that you could hope for when things go a bit wrong. I will be more than happy to get my next camera body from the local retailer for the previously experienced customer service.

I've got no idea how much cheaper a grey import Canon R7 is compared to the usual Wex / Park / LCE outlets. When I got my 6Dii I had it less than a week and it was going a bit wrong on me and naturally I was bitterly disappointed.... However, when I went into my local retailer and explained the problems with it, they were really helpful and got it all sorted for me.

I am glad to have that peace of mind when buying from the local retailer that you will get the best back-up that you could hope for when things go a bit wrong. I will be more than happy to get my next camera body from the local retailer for the previously experienced customer service.
Aftersales service is excellent from most large grey import dealers too.

If they do that then it is illegal. However I have never experienced that myself.
There used to be a seller on here years ago, that did that, from time to time, the older members will know who I'm talking about.
He claimed to be be in the UK, delivery times were rather erratic, and drawn out. They have not posted in a very long time.

HDEW gave me a vat invoice and I collected from their office in Chessington a few years ago, saved a fortune so not all grey suppliers are the same. Also if you look on ebay the seller that sends stuff from Switzerland is actually einfinity and Ebay have to collect VAT at checkout so there's a fair amount of old cobblers being spouted on this thread. I'm sure underhanded practices do go on but it's not as simple as some would make out.

Going back to the original discussion on camera kit, years ago (before online purchasing became common) my local town (Harrow) used to have a very good independent camera shop, as well as a branch of Jessops, and as I appreciated the help and advice they offered, I'd try to support them rather than buy from Jessops. As an example, I bought 2 Minolta 9xi bodies and a couple of lenses from them, at a higher price than Jessops were selling them for at the time, purely on a matter of principle.

Unfortunately, as they couldn't compete on price, they closed down leaving Jessops as the only photographic retailer in town.

It wasn't that many years later that the local Jessops also closed, so the nearest photo shop was in Watford, where I ended up switching to Canon digital kit from SRS, and also picked up a bargain Canon 5D from the Jessops there.

Since then, SRS switched to Olympus and Sony kit, and stopped selling Canon. Jessops also closed their Watford branch, meaning if I wanted to go into an actual camera shop, it was a trip into central London. Whilst several shops still survive there, many have closed (e.g. Jacobs).

As online sales have taken over, and physical shops have closed, I now do a lot of research via online reviews and once I've decided on what to buy, it's inevitably ordered via the internet.

This means that it makes little difference to me in terms of service, whether I buy from the likes of WEX, Ffordes, Castle, Jessops or whatever, as they are all very similarly priced. On the other hand, I can buy online from HDEW, who provide the same kit at a much cheaper price, although offer their own warranty as opposed to the manufacturer one.

It's very hard to ignore the price difference though. In the past, I've bought a Canon 100mm f2.8L macro lens and 2 x 580EX2 flash units and a 5Dmk3 from them, all without issues, and if there were issues, I've got the option of going to their bricks and mortar shop in Surrey.

More recently, in 2021, I was looking to go to a Canon R5. Wex et al had it for around £4.5k. I bought from HDEW for £3,308. It has been perfect, and I couldn't be happier with their service. That's a saving of £1200, which is hard to ignore.

Coming right up to date, co-incidentally, today I ordered an EF11-24mm f4L from HDEW. The cheapest I could find it from the "conventional" online retailers was £3000, and many are selling it at £3300. The total bill from HDEW including delivery is £1724.

So, given a previously completely satisfactory service from HDEW over a good number of years, should I be paying "full" price, as seemingly advocated by the original poster, or saving £1276 for exactly the same product? I'm afraid that I've voted with my wallet, and will have absolutely no qualms about doing so again in the future.

Unfortunately, it's not just photographic kit that we get ripped off on the pricing in the UK, it seems to be a very wide range of goods which are available for significantly cheaper prices in other countries, so where the opportunity arises to buy these genuine goods at a significant discount, and more in line with what consumers in many other countries are paying, can one really blame UK consumers for doing so?

Just to add:: cannot fault HDEW for service and after-sales service and of course price. They are a business that has changed with the times from what I have read about them in an industry that almost demands it.

That being said, I buy my film and related bits and bobs from Real Camera in Manchester where the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. I also use Wilkinsons too.

Unfortunately, it's not just photographic kit that we get ripped off on the pricing in the UK, it seems to be a very wide range of goods which are available for significantly cheaper prices in other countries, so where the opportunity arises to buy these genuine goods at a significant discount, and more in line with what consumers in many other countries are paying, can one really blame UK consumers for doing so?
It's been said before in the thread, doing business in the UK is significantly more expensive than in many other countries. Hence the price differences.

If we could sort out our obsession with property as investment, and Government was honest about funding, and wages came down, then prices would too.

I think it all depends on the deal and how you rate the supplier.

Personally I would never buy from einfinity or cotswold, only from HDEW and Panamoz.

On my latest purchase I bought from LCE for the following reasons;

Excellent service, knowledgable staff who demonstrated the product and actually knew what they were talking about.

The overall price was £164 more for the camera but I got a mint like new lens (UK) for less than grey price, ended up at almost exactly what I would have paid at Panamoz, although they do give a 3 year warranty which puts Nikon Europe to shame with their miserly 1 year warranty.

Overall i've paid a fraction more but on this and other occasions i've always supported UK retailers "within reason" and it's not them to blame for rip off UK prices that's down solely to the manufacturers.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from HDEW or Panamoz if the price difference was substantial, which on many cameras it is.

Last edited:
HDEW are interesting.

Here it appears to show that their assets at end of 2022 amounted to £100.

Here it appears to show that they have no VAT iD.

Don't know how that adds up. :thinking:

HDEW are interesting.

Here it appears to show that their assets at end of 2022 amounted to £100.

Here it appears to show that they have no VAT iD.

Don't know how that adds up. :thinking:
After a little bit of looking at Companies House, HDEW are officially listed as a dormant company. The named directors (Paul and Jacqueline Clementis) are also directors of an active company - Validhirst Limited, who are listed as an electrical retailer, and their accounts are up to date.
Companies House Link here.
Validhirst Limited also appears to be VAT registered - VAT number: GB 671947988
On checking my Paypal payment for the lens I ordered today, the payment was made to Validhirst Ltd, so to me, it looks like they maybe originally ran HDEW as a separate business entity, but have merged it with their other company, and simply retain the HDEW as a brand name?

and wages came down, then prices would too.
Yeah that’s the answer. :wave:
Workers can scavenge from bins so that the wealthy can get more for their money.

When are people going to wake up to the simple economic fact that it’s not ‘pie in the sky’ to suggest that a fair days work has exactly the same value as a fair days wage. There isn’t an alternative to that; and believing there is must be a sign of lunacy.

After a little bit of looking at Companies House, HDEW are officially listed as a dormant company. The named directors (Paul and Jacqueline Clementis) are also directors of an active company - Validhirst Limited, who are listed as an electrical retailer, and their accounts are up to date.
Companies House Link here.
Validhirst Limited also appears to be VAT registered - VAT number: GB 671947988
On checking my Paypal payment for the lens I ordered today, the payment was made to Validhirst Ltd, so to me, it looks like they maybe originally ran HDEW as a separate business entity, but have merged it with their other company, and simply retain the HDEW as a brand name?
Will be interested to know what VAT number is shown on your VAT invoice when you get it. :)

Yeah that’s the answer. :wave:
Workers can scavenge from bins so that the wealthy can get more for their money.

When are people going to wake up to the simple economic fact that it’s not ‘pie in the sky’ to suggest that a fair days work has exactly the same value as a fair days wage. There isn’t an alternative to that; and believing there is must be a sign of lunacy.
I think you may have misunderstood me - I mean that wages could come down if property was way cheaper.

If someone asks on here about doing a job for friends at low cost, etc. there are often pointers as to what a sensible price is for photography work. Similarly there are discussions about peoples photos being used without their permission. From what I've seen, members on here don't like the thought of their work being undervalued, or undermined. But it's OK to wish to undervalue other things, or to undermine other businesses :thinking:

From what I have seen no one has mentioned the fact that we in the UK pay over the odds for most things.

Grey imports are only needed because of the inflated price we pay for a lot of things. You have to ask how a company can buy (lets say) a Sony camera from the manufacturer, pay all the taxes to import into the UK, undercut the UK price and still they make a profit.

Manufacturers try to undermine grey imports by often refusing to honour the warranty.

From what I have seen no one has mentioned the fact that we in the UK pay over the odds for most things.

Don’t even know why this thread got started , grey imports exist there not illegal ,there not going to go away . It’s down to the individual which they choose to buy from . There are To many variables in choice of how and where to buy .
Banning grey imports will not bring back local camera shops the only growth in local retail these days is hairdressers , gyms, barbers and charity shops / secondhand shops ..
i Can see a time when if you have the cash / credit card it will be cheaper to actually jump on a flight have a couple of days holiday and buy your gear abroad ,de box it and have the boxes posted home … that’s if the pound actually gets some value back
That used to be fairly popular back in the 1970's/80's when cameras were sold in the US for the same price or cheaper than here.. except in dollars. Indeed there was a chap flew to new york had a few days there, bought Photoshop and saved money buying it here.
I knew a few people who would ask someone going to the states to pick up some bit of gear for them.

That used to be fairly popular back in the 1970's/80's when cameras were sold in the US for the same price or cheaper than here.. except in dollars. Indeed there was a chap flew to new york had a few days there, bought Photoshop and saved money buying it here.
I knew a few people who would ask someone going to the states to pick up some bit of gear for them.
Back in the late 1980's and early 90's the rate was nearly enough $2 to the pound, buying items from the U.S was a no brainer, I've been to B&H in New York a few times, bought a few Nikon accessories that Nikon UK didn't supply.

I used to work for a US company that had a training centre in Boston and we used to bring stuff back from photo shops there. It was important to either hide the receipts, or even throw them away and dump all packging, as UK customs would try to charge you duty on them when you came back; you had to say you took them with you.

I used to work for a US company that had a training centre in Boston and we used to bring stuff back from photo shops there. It was important to either hide the receipts, or even throw them away and dump all packging, as UK customs would try to charge you duty on them when you came back; you had to say you took them with you.
Careful you'll have the sanctimonious TP police shaming you for being a tax dodger :ROFLMAO:

Careful you'll have the sanctimonious TP police shaming you for being a tax dodger :ROFLMAO:
The thing is, whenever we bought anything in the States, we didn't do any of the exemptions (too much trouble) and therefore paid US tax (so not a tax-dodger), but we found to our cost that UK Customs didn't give a monkey's about that, so we altered my return-to-the-UK method the next times.

Last edited:
The simple thing is what the comsumer wants, and that is getting the same goods at the cheapest price. If someone wants to buy from a retail camera shop and pay to hear a salesman giving all the gab, even if they don't have a clue then let them pay for the ear bashing. Times have changed and so has the market place. Before the internet shops were the only choice, but not now. Online shopping is now the market place. No more paying to have a shop when a wharehouse can hold more stock with less staff,it is no wonder shops are closind down.
why spend time trekkng from shop to shop( who are often out of stock) costing time -fuel -parking charges when instead a couple of clicks on a computer and the goods get delivered often free of charge.
If grey imports are cheaper then I can see no reason why not buy and save the money in your pocket

The last time I went in a high street camera store I was stood around waiting for 10 minutes to be served before one of the staff even bothered to see what I was there for...

The last time I went in a high street camera store I was stood around waiting for 10 minutes to be served before one of the staff even bothered to see what I was there for...
Lack of decent pay = lack of motivation = poor service = loss of customers = low profits = lack of decent pay.

Lack of decent pay = lack of motivation = poor service = loss of customers = low profits = lack of decent pay.

I suppose I'm in a minority but I disagree with every point there.

When I worked I motivated myself regardless of the pay or the attitude of those around or in front of me. Whenever I encounter people who don't seem to give a flying I do wonder what they're like in their private lives. Possibly just the same.

I do accept that for some having any work ethic at all is an incomprehensible state of mind,

One worry is that people can develop an unhealthy state of being at work and take it home with them.
That is a nasty situation.
I got to the stage where I had not taken leave for 4 years, and couldn't even go shopping without getting calls.

Eventually my son took over the day to day running of the systems (IT) even though he had just left school, so that I could have a break, and I was given a second work phone that only senior officials had the number for, and that was the only one I answered after hours from then on.

When I returned to the UK, I left work on time (unless a server had gone down or similar) and NOBODY had my mobile number. I wasn't liked, but tough.
And I didn't work overtime unless I considered the situation warranted it.

Should have been like that years before :)

Taking work home is a definite no!

Not an option for many self employed persons.

Some very stereotypical posts and generalised assumptions above. My D780 is a grey import and at no time did I harm the UK retail industry (which doesn't need any help from me to fall by the wayside) or break any laws.

Had I not been able to buy the camera at the price I paid I would still be using my aged D750 so the retail industry is no worse off. On import, I informed HMRC and paid the duties they requested in full, and have the receipts to prove it which enable me to get service and repair work done by Nikon UK.

Yes, even after paying HMRC I am still several hundreds of pounds better off than buying on the high street. I'm happy with that as it is not my place, as a consumer, to pay inflated prices to keep high street businesses in business.

Back