When cyclists attack

It isn't clear to me whether the driver was in fact able to see him at the time he moved off - my guesss is that he may have been directly below, and totally invisible, until they had both moved off, If you've never driven a lorry then it must be difficult to understand that sometimes, other road users are just totally invisible to the driver.r

from the description in youtube:
"I was sat at the lights, a van was in the right hand lane with his left indicator on to come into my lane. As the lights changed to green, the car pulled off and the van eased in my lane. No problems or issues.

As I checked my mirrors, I saw a cyclist in my right hand mirror and presumed he would be turning right as he was in the right hand lane. As I passed the the turning he was still overtake the line of cars and was at the rear of my trailer and obviously going straight on". (my bold)

The cyclist wasn't directly below, he says he saw him overtake a line of cars behind and (I assume) then start to overtake him.

From the description it would have obviously have been a better decision for the cyclist to slot in behind but for some reasons does not. He may have misjudged the speed the truck was getting away and thought that he would get past before he picked up to much speed.

Did the bikelist have any cameras fitted to him?

I wonder if he's posted a video trying to justify why the world and its dog has to make allowances for him overtaking a line of traffic as the traffic lights change. That would be fun.

Erm, not really called for was it ?
Thread tidied

So does that mean I wont get an answer to my question then? It was genuine question by the way.

In case Andy didnt see it... What happened to you, that has resulted in you having such a dim view of all cyclists?

So does that mean I wont get an answer to my question then? It was genuine question by the way.

In case Andy didnt see it... What happened to you, that has resulted in you having such a dim view of all cyclists?

I shall answer it in a nice way. With cyclists its all about well its my right, cars must do this, x must do that, it has nothing to do with a sharing attitude, that all road users can use.

And my answer still stands, to the OP, if someone grapples with my like that, I would have belted them all over the road.

I shall answer it in a nice way. With cyclists its all about well its my right, cars must do this, x must do that, it has nothing to do with a sharing attitude, that all road users can use.
But your comment that was removed branded all cyclists as the same when clearly you know that isn't true.
Your event of cyclist wrong doings doesn't make us all the same!

That of course is a generalisation, a bit like saying - car drivers don't indicate any more, white van men are all bad drivers, all cyclists run red lights and ride on pavements, all BMW and Audi drivers are twonks etc.
I was firstly a pedestrian, then a cyclist, then a motorcyclist and then a driver, and I have witness dangerous, selfish, stupid behaviour from people in all those groups, but it doesn't mean that everyone in those groups is the same.

The white van is a tad cheeky as clearly he is in the wrong lane.
You should have taken your rig out of economy mode, spooled up the turbo and made a swift getaway thus leaving white van man hanging and the cyclist caught in a fracas with the van ;)

Disclaimer - the above is a tongue in cheek comment

Clarkson- He was too busy changing gear, changing gear, changing gear, murdering a ....
you know the rest :D

And my answer still stands, to the OP, if someone grapples with my like that, I would have belted them all over the road.

I ride a motorbike and learnt a long time ago that mass x velocity = right of way. It doesn't help if you're in the right if you're lying in the road.

as a ex lorry driver then a taxi driver all my working life ,i was taught this little ditty very early on and it still applies probably even more these days .

WHEN IN DOUBT UPON THE ROAD
GIVE WAY TO THE DRIVER WITH THE BIGGER LOAD .

this in no way contradicts the fact i f*****g hate arrogant cyclists ,who in our neck of the woods don't consider it worth there while slowing down for pedestrians .grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It doesn't matter what you drive, you should position your self in the road correctly.

as a ex lorry driver then a taxi driver all my working life ,i was taught this little ditty very early on and it still applies probably even more these days .

WHEN IN DOUBT UPON THE ROAD
GIVE WAY TO THE DRIVER WITH THE BIGGER LOAD .

this in no way contradicts the fact i f*****g hate arrogant cyclists ,who in our neck of the woods don't consider it worth there while slowing down for pedestrians .grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
surely a cyclist counts as a "bigger load" than a pedestrian as they have the added weight of a bike, so pedestrians should give way to cyclists at all times

unfortunately the video does not show at what point the cyclist came along side.
No but it's fairly obvious that the cyclist was in the lane for turning right, which he did not do. So he was idiotically trying to overtake, not filter.
As for giving way to him, there is only one way for him to learn that he is doing wrong and could get hurt and that is actually get hurt. He probably will still think he's doing nothing wrong.

surely a cyclist counts as a "bigger load" than a pedestrian as they have the added weight of a bike, so pedestrians should give way to cyclists at all times

I've had more than one psycholist (on the pavement) bounce off me.

unfortunately the video does not show at what point the cyclist came along side.
I had passed the junction by the time he was half way alongside my trailer

Yeah but,

The video doesn't actually show much apart from you shouting obscenities initially. Is this a simple camera you've added or the company? I've seen some good camera systems for lorries showing several views on the one screen, useful for showing what happens to the undertakers

Yeah but,

The video doesn't actually show much apart from you shouting obscenities initially. Is this a simple camera you've added or the company? I've seen some good camera systems for lorries showing several views on the one screen, useful for showing what happens to the undertakers
I'm assuming the OP is self-employed. Surely no-one would be daft enough to post a video of himself committing gross misconduct whilst at work? o_O

I'm assuming the OP is self-employed. Surely no-one would be daft enough to post a video of himself committing gross misconduct whilst at work? o_O
perhaps as the "gross misconduct" was conducted *outside* the works vehicle rather than inside the vehicle it would not be under the jurisdiction of the employer

I'm employed. Minutes after this happened my boss drove past.

They have now ordered dash cams for their fleet. This is my own.

perhaps as the "gross misconduct" was conducted *outside* the works vehicle rather than inside the vehicle it would not be under the jurisdiction of the employer
Surely though whether in or out of the vehicle you are still representing the company.

i'd imagine swearing at another driver would simply be "misconduct" so would need to be repeated on a number of occasions to put a job at risk

Yes there will be a point at which your actions clearly give the company a negative reputation and only the persons in charge of said company will decide on action to be taken if they become aware of a situation.

i'll be specific we have a local footpath that has been made into a bike /pedestrian/dogwalkers path ,there are signs up all along it asking cyclists to slow down for walkers ,the council even installed a gate on a downhill stretch to slow them down ,that got thrown in the hedge within a couple of weeks .they all seem to think there in traing for the f*****g olympics ,and what annoys me is the fact i have high frequency hearing loss so even if i'm wearing my hearing aids i simply can't hear a bike bell tinkling ,and they come up behind me at high speed tinkle there bell and expect you to jump out of the way ,one day i think one of them is going to find himself impaled on my monopod ,i'll repeat i f*****g hate arrogant cyclists ,end of rant

HGV drivers getting the sack for swearing at crap drivers? Yes, that'll happen... when the cows come home! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if his boss gave him a bonus for having to deal with all the hassle.

I ride a motorbike and learnt a long time ago that mass x velocity = right of way. It doesn't help if you're in the right if you're lying in the road.

Reminds me of Collision Regulations at Sea with the following caveat

Here lies the body of Michael O'Day
Who died maintaining right of way
He was right, dead right as he sailed along
But just as dead as if he'd been wrong

Last edited:
HGV drivers getting the sack for swearing at crap drivers? Yes, that'll happen... when the cows come home! :D

I wouldn't be surprised if his boss gave him a bonus for having to deal with all the hassle.
It wasn't so much the swearing I was referring to, but his abandoning his vehicle on a busy road to have a public brawl with a member of the public. I'd expect to get at least a final written warning if I roughed up a stranger outside the office.

It wasn't so much the swearing I was referring to, but his abandoning his vehicle on a busy road to have a public brawl with a member of the public. I'd expect to get at least a final written warning if I roughed up a stranger outside the office.

You think that's the same as what happened in the video. He just "roughed up a stranger" outside his cab?

How can you tell who "rouged up" who? I don't think you saw the same video as me. :)

PS. The reference to swearing was in response to the 2 posts before mine, not your post.

Last edited:

I remember I was driving when I saw a cyclist with no lights on, I did not see them in the darkness and I swerved at the last minute nearly hitting them. The person gave me the finger and swore at me, I shouted get some lights on your bike, you idiot. I recognised the person as a customer of the shop that I worked at, and they recognised me. The person complained to my boss, but my boss said it was nothing to do with him, as it happened outside of work hours.

Get a grip, he didn't rough up a stranger as you put it.

If he had done that whilst working for me he would be looking for a new job
Just like we have different styles of togs, we have different styles of business owners.

Your style wouldn't fit our company, their style wouldn't fit yours.

My current job is quite easy going.

We seem to be getting rather personal again!

Back