When photography takes over your life.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
How easy is it to put your camera down and do something less interesting? I'm an OAP and have become obsessed with photography. Every moment of the day I'm observing the world around me, either thinking about "snapping" what's in front of me or actually taking photographs. A huge percentage of my images are taken at various running events, so there is ample opportunity to practice. A few days after a shoot, it will seem like years since I picked up the camera. I watch loads of vlogs, try different techniques in LR and Photoshop … Should I sell all my gear and just erase photography from my life? How easy will it be. ;)

How easy is it to put your camera down and do something less interesting? I'm an OAP and have become obsessed with photography. Every moment of the day I'm observing the world around me, either thinking about "snapping" what's in front of me or actually taking photographs. A huge percentage of my images are taken at various running events, so there is ample opportunity to practice. A few days after a shoot, it will seem like years since I picked up the camera. I watch loads of vlogs, try different techniques in LR and Photoshop … Should I sell all my gear and just erase photography from my life? How easy will it be. ;)

Quite the opposite, can only be good to keep your mind active as you get older.
Doesn't sound all that much different to my passion for photography and no doubt others too
I'm forever seeking new places to visit and possible projects, got a couple on the go now

Sounds fine to me, just a healthy interest in your hobby rather than an obsession.
Be glad you have an interest, too many people haven't and end up very bored and miserable

Last edited:
I can see that your tongue's in your cheek, but I think it's healthy to engage in something that extends you, and at best involves heart, mind and body in a productive way.

A healthy activity will also have a social dimension - it might be a private passion but will also involve communication with others at different stages in various ways.

Sounds like you've cracked it, then!

Keep enjoying it. I have two prime hobbies, this and ham radio, and they give me a lot of pleasure and intellectual stimulation. I just wish I had the time for more photography!

You should only do that if you would do something more useful with your time - a question only you can answer.

I think you would regret getting rid of your camera,i sold all my canon stuff & now have a fuji X100F which is great for me now.
I don,t do a lot now but it,s always there when i fancy a stroll with it.:)

Thanks for all the input. Is my life becoming TOO narrow by "focussing" on photography? While I was working, running took up most of my free time. It was a stress release. There are lots of jobs I need to get on with but they don't seem as important as watching the latest vlog from James P or Re photography, Mali etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Is my life becoming TOO narrow by "focussing" on photography? While I was working, running took up most of my free time. It was a stress release. There are lots of jobs I need to get on with but they don't seem as important as watching the latest vlog from James P or Re photography, Mali etc.

Only you can answer that - why not go for a run to think about it :)

Best not take your camera with you though eh ;)

Dave

Saturday - Yorkshire Dales - a few landscapes Sunday - Percy Pud 10k - snapping runners. Next week Mon, Tues, Wed …. editing hundreds of images and loving it.

I like reading.. If I have a good book and havent touched it for a couple of days I know to stop doing photography related stuff....for a few hrs at least :)

As a working photogrpaher self employed and no control over the hours i put in... My biggest wake up call was being sat on the toilet and things wernt happening too fast and thinking to myself.. come on you havent time for this..... WHAT! ... I took a long hard look at myself.. Time to slow down I thought.....

Back