When will we have auto shutter speed?

By 'missed shots' I mean missed focus, exposure etc. I'm not sure whether you mean shots you didn't take or shots you did take that didn't work.

My point was if you are too busy thinking about exposure, shutter speed etc. you might miss fleeting moments.
A missed shot is a missed shot.

If you're missing shots because you're busy thinking about operating your camera then you need to master that so it becomes second nature instead of hoping someone will invent a camera which can read your mind.

Ok, an example, so I’m shooting my kid on a walk in a darkish forest. I can see she’s about to wander through a shaft of light that will be really backlighting her. I have enough time to point my camera and shoot - maybe have time to stop down the aperture as she walking towards me to make sure focus isn’t missed. If I have to set the aperture, check the exposure, adjust the shutter speed, find the shutter speed is too slow to hand hold, so I increase the ISO to compensate. She’s half way up a tree behind me.

Welcome to the sort of things event photographers have to do all the time. What do you think even a basic wedding photographer has to do every day?

A) they were better than me B) they probably missed an awful lot of shots to get the keepers

No, just the 1st one.

How would Auto shutter speed cope when a subject has both stationary moving and non moving elements e.g like a hovering helicopter or a landscape where everything is static except for grass and leaves being blown by the wind?
It probably wouldn't be used for landscapes. It could base it's assesment on the focus point - like spot metering. In situations where it wouldn't work you wouldn't use it. Like how AF sometimes doesn't work for wildlife togs so they have to manual focus or how AE sometimes gets the exposure wrong. lt doesn't have to work perfectly in all situations, it just needs to work well in some.

Welcome to the sort of things event photographers have to do all the time. What do you think even a basic wedding photographer has to do every day?

No, just the 1st one.
:ROFLMAO: Paul, so passive aggressive. I thought after your first post you were just having a bad day but seems like it's more than that. Is lockdown is getting to you?

Perhaps but do you not feel that modern digital kit is already over automated.

If we continue with this line of thought / wishes, soon we as togs will be replaced ......"RoboTog" :LOL:

And no I'm not trying to come across as cantankerous , I do feel however that perhaps there is a point at which a stop to further automation would be beneficial, not least of all to make wannabe togs actually learn how to do photography instead of relying on a computer to do it.

There are masses out there with kit on auto who are not happy with their images simply because they do not understand the basic principals and yes, many are simply too darned lazy to learn.

Missing one frame or 20 frames to me does not matter one iota so long as I am not depending on that chance grab shot is my bread and butter. Cameras are so foolproof now that I am waiting for the one exception to prove the rule! I am quite certain I had more actual fun and a real sense of achievement when I was using all manual cameras such as the classic Pentax screw thread rand than do with my all singing and dancing late Nikon film or digital slr's. I have a Minolta Autocord which has absolutely no automation what so ever. A seperate meter is needed and to be honest even loading it with a new film is a test of dexterity. But what satisfaction.

Why should they have to learn? The manufacturers make it so easy for them to get by without even understanding depth of field or the relationship between film-speed/shutter speed and aperture and think they have done a great job. Absolute cobblers! It is the same with cars, some folk get in them , drive around but haven't a clue where the bonnet catch is!

By 'missed shots' I mean missed focus, exposure etc. I'm not sure whether you mean shots you didn't take or shots you did take that didn't work.

My point was if you are too busy thinking about exposure, shutter speed etc. you might miss fleeting moments.

If you practise often enough, you don't need to think about such things - I am thinking of shutter speeds available and that kind of thing before I ever get the camera out of th ebag. The light around you will tell you what shutter speed you have. I use 100, sometimes 200 and almost never go as high as 400 ISO... so I know instinctively roughly what sort of shutter I need, or can have... it does make life awkward, where 'newbies' not having grown up with the film speed limitations will happily go into the 000s. They should have no worries about shutter speed.

Back