When You Really Want To Go Out, But...

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Can't think of where to go? Does this ever happen to you? There's been quite a few occasions when I've had the day off work/uni and really want to go out somewhere with my camera, but can never think of anywhere to go! I find it really frustrating! :bang:

Like now, I have the day off tomorrow and want to try and get some good snaps, and have a proper go with my new lens - 55-200mm VR, but I'm not sure where to go... :shrug:

I get that loads. What I quite often do is go to flickr, then go to the Explore World Map, zoom in somewhere close to me and see what people have taken photos of and see if there is something of interest.

Hi steven

I'm quite the oposite to be honest. I have loads of places i want to explore but never have the time to visit. Would this be because you have visited all the surrounding areas of where you live?
One place in scotland or shall i say next to scotland i'd love to visit is the isle of skye.

I get it all the time too....especially doing the wildlife stuff!! There is 4/5 spots I regular in my area...I've done them all to death, although I know there is plenty there I haven't seen...but can never bring myself round to choose which one I should go and bore myself at :LOL:

Hi steven

I'm quite the oposite to be honest. I have loads of places i want to explore but never have the time to visit. Would this be because you have visited all the surrounding areas of where you live?
One place in scotland or shall i say next to scotland i'd love to visit is the isle of skye.

I suppose I haven't really visited all the surrounding areas, but it depends what you're talking about really; parks etc...

It seems I'm not the only one!

I get this a lot:LOL:

"should I go to x"? "nope, i went there last time"
"should I go to y"? "It wasn't too good before"
"should I go to z"? "I'm not in the mood for z"

:bang:

I definitely get that too, Steven. What I've begun to remember though is that everytime I come back from a shoot I have some disappointment or other. Went at the wrong time. Wore the wrong clothing. Never took a sheet so I could lie down in a muddy bog. Forgot to change ISO back down!! Forgot to change back to RAW.

Anyway, to cut a long story short: sometimes I revisit them when I'm stuck for ideas and although while on the way there I have a small sense of disappointment like I'm settling for second best and wasting my free day; it soon disappears when I get there and correct the mistakes I make last time round.

Flickr's great for inspiration. I often search there for ideas of places to go. Its helped me discover places I didn't know about.

Or try something completely different and pick a theme - red, letter boxes, grass, stones ... you choose and see what you can come up with.

Go for a walk. Just explore your neighbourhood- there's bound to be something near your front door worth photographing. Maybe a park, church/churchyard or cemetery, an interesting bit of dereliction/urban decay. I don't know where you live or what you like to photograph, but in the past I've been really surprised by what I've managed to get within a mile of my house.

If I went outside within 1 mile of my house with a camera I'd find myself mugged.

I drive my wife mad with the often asked question - 'where can I go?' She's lived in our area all her life, I've been here the four years we've been together so I expect her to know more about the place. :)

I went to the local tourist office at the weekend and grabbed every leaflet they had on the shelves. Hopefully there will be something to visit in those.

I agree though. It's very annoying when you have a nice day, a few hours free and can't find anywhere to go.

I know the feeling. I find I need a point to aim for in London to use as a starting point. Once I'm started and the camera's out then I usually just wander and see what I find. I can't leave the house without knowing where to head for in the first place though. Annoyingly I always seem to end the day on the South Bank in London and wish I had ended up in Soho.

Back