where can I get good photo umbrellas ?

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to get x 2 white umbrellas 7mm shaft size anyone suggest a good source for solid items that won't collapse after a few uses ?
I would get Lencarta but they are 8mm and won't fit.
Reccommendations much appreciated, thanks

To be honest I always consider brollies to be a consumable - even if you buy the most expensive they’re not going to last forever - so you may as well consider them disposable.

As for the shaft size - it’s an old standard, I’ve no idea what other people do, but I’d use a shim of some description.

Yes, brollies are pretty much disposable and much of a muchness regardless of price.

The Elinchrom 7mm thing is a PITA, and I've found some umbrellas claiming to be 7mm that are in fact not. You can shim 7mm to 8mm, but doing it the other way around is much more difficult as 7mm tubing is hard to find. I did it by chopping off the 8mm and fitting 7mm brass tubing from a model shop inside that, reinforced with 6mm steel tube inside that. It all fits together very neatly but probably easier to just pay Elinchrom :eek:

Calumet umbrellas that are 40" or larger come with two part shaft which are 7mm solid Male to the threaded female join halfway. At least they used to be, think wex retained the same manufacture.

Perfectly good umbrellas.

Profotos also use 7mm umbrella holes. The cost of having more centered receptacles perhaps And deflectors make it very worthwhile. If you don't like the 7mm centre, use the handle mount on Eli's.

Last edited:
Back