Where do you buy your A3 frames...?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Been hunting around for some reasonably priced A3 frames and came across loads of frames plus frames including mounts at 40 x 30 cm .... which means the 30 cm is about 3 mm too wide for A3...?

Far fewer true A3 frames appeared on the shelves ... just wondered what others might be doing... any information greatly appreciated....:ty:

I've been having the same problem. Off the shelf frames are never the right size or the choice of frames are limited.
I ordered a custom frame for one of my prints and it cost me £100. Ouch.

I've just bought a mount cutter and our local Range does a range of mounts. I'm also going to start using a chop service where you choose the frame mould and they'll cut it to size and ship you the bits.

I'll just order some glazing and backing board in. It should work out much cheaper and I'll get the frames I want instead of what the retailers stock.

Charity shops and the aforementioned mount cutter and mounts. If the frame looks a little beaten you can give it a spray of paint.

If it's for personal use, then this. Or you can get your 40x30 and cut your own mount (or print to A3+ and cut the print to size).

I cut my own mounts, so charity shops are the way forward for me for personal use. A quick spray of paint on the frame can cover a multitude of sins and a couple of quid for a large frame is a bargain.
(Cutting your own mounts is easy and relatively inexpensive - I did a tutorial here - you need to click "Discussion" for find the 2nd part - I had to split it into 2 posts)

Yep looks like a mount cutter is the way forwards.... some good info... thank you all...

I got a frame at the range with a mount which was labelled A3 but actually 40 x 30.... does anybody know where that format comes from ... is the idea to " trim" an A3 plus print...?

I took it back and they only had one true A3 frame but about 20 different 40 x30 ones....

I looked at mount kits at the photography show last year but they seemed expensive.... I'll have a look in the forums mentioned thanks....:runaway:

Ikea or b&q when they're on sale. Both sell a good chunky wooden frame if that's what your looking for.

Thanks guys... ikea is a fair trek from here are they just frames that are A3 size or frames with mounts...? Before I make the journey...?

I buy the Ribba frames: 30X40cm and take a 12" X 8" picture in the supplied mount or 12" X 16" unmounted, about £6 each IIRC. There's not much overlap at 12" x 8", so I usually use a little masking tape to hold the print aligned in the mount during and after assembly.

Last edited:
I buy the Ribba frames: 30X40cm and take a 12" X 8" picture in the supplied mount or 12" X 16" unmounted, about £6 each IIRC. There's not much overlap at 12" x 8", so I usually use a little masking tape to hold the print aligned in the mount during and after assembly.

Thanks... so would an A3 print fit in the 40 x30 cm frame or would you have a gap on the 30 cm side? I appreciate that some frames are approximate and my A3 print is 29.7 cm on that side?

I haven't actually tried and I don't have A3 paper here, but will give it a go tomorrow when I can.

OK, tried a standard A3 sheet of paper over the frame. It's a little long (may need trimming slightly) and fitted with a couple of mm overlap on each side. You would need to fix the print in place to stop it slipping out of alignment, but otherwise it's perfect.

OK, tried a standard A3 sheet of paper over the frame. It's a little long (may need trimming slightly) and fitted with a couple of mm overlap on each side. You would need to fix the print in place to stop it slipping out of alignment, but otherwise it's perfect.

That's great as long as there's a little overlap- I'll pick up a couple of the Ribba frames... thanks for taking the trouble...!

Thanks guys... ikea is a fair trek from here are they just frames that are A3 size or frames with mounts...? Before I make the journey...?

I got two Ikea frames with mounts that hold A3 prints. I'm not sure how accurate the mount is, it was good enough for me for my first (and only, so far) A3s on the wall!

I get them from a bargain shop , they are good quality and available in a few colours. Plus they will easily take an a3 print . They have a Image already in them usually a kids character or something else.
Cost is 5 or 6 pounds

Last edited:
Standard at camera clubs is a 50 x 40 cm card mount and the mount is cut out for A4, A3 or whatever size you want. I got some nice 40x 50 beech (also had oak) frames from John Lewis

What do you guys do about hanging these frames? I've struggled with the fact the backboard is recessed into the frame meaning the hanging hook is like an inch away from the wall. This, coupled with the fact that all my walls are hard brick, means that I've had to drill and use rawl plugs with long screws in.

What do you guys do about hanging these frames? I've struggled with the fact the backboard is recessed into the frame meaning the hanging hook is like an inch away from the wall. This, coupled with the fact that all my walls are hard brick, means that I've had to drill and use rawl plugs with long screws in.
What IKEA frames? I use the fittings supplied with the frames and then use plastic wall hangers like the link below I get the largest size from a local shop. They're up in minutes.

www.amazon.co.uk/30mm-Plastic-Hard-Picture-Hooks/dp/B005GPQJJK

Last edited:
I use the black wood A3 photo frame from ikea. (I think its about £7). and the back board sits about 20mm deep inside the frame
Sounds like the ribba that I use. Are you using the wire and clips provided?

I've bought them a few times now, and I've never had any clips or wire included. Do these usually come with the frame or as a separate item? I've had to buy d rings and wire from amazon before, but I've found this just splits the wood in the frame.

I've bought them a few times now, and I've never had any clips or wire included. Do these usually come with the frame or as a separate item? I've had to buy d rings and wire from amazon before, but I've found this just splits the wood in the frame.
Yeah they're in the pack. The clips slide on the edges of the backboard and you twist the wire between these. Hammer the wall hooks in and up it goes, very quickly process.

Last edited:
Yeah they're in the pack. The clips slide on the edges of the backboard and you twist the wire between these. Hammer the wall hooks in and up it goes, very quickly process.

Ah Nuts! I'm going to have to go to ikea and buy another one now to check. I swear that everytime I've bought the A3 frame from here, it just comes as a frame with no other bits. Unless my local ikea is being dopey and splitting the packs. Hmmm, a bit of investigation is needed me thinks

Actually the biggest thing we have hanging with command strips is a panoramic canvas on my sons bedroom. 5' x 2' canvas on a wooden frame. Not very heavy, but attached using 2 strips in the upper corners. It's been there for two years now.

Back