North England Where is the lone tree at Ribblehead?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I have a rough idea of the location given that I've been looking at Google Earth and a booklet for photographer's but I'm still unsure of where it is?

I have a rough idea of the location given that I've been looking at Google Earth and a booklet for photographer's but I'm still unsure of where it is?

Can't help with the info but if it is the one I have seen pictures of a tree in a 'limestone pavement' then I am sure I recall that that landscape is deemed fragile and at risk of too many visitors causing damage to it. If my surmise is correct, it is good that visitor numbers are in some way restricted........so perhaps no surprise it is hard to find?

All the limestone pavements are free to on walk one at any time. There are no restricts of how many times tourists, photographers, walkers can visit them.

There's quite a few 'lone trees' scattered around Ingleton and Malham.

I know the tree is at Sleights Pasture, but that's all I know. Image of the tree is here

Last edited:
Update: I think I may know where the tree is at Ribblehead looking again

Not a tree I have seen before, so not on the usual routes. Looking at the image I would guess here - https://goo.gl/maps/hSPQr6s15GjSbRub8 - but there are a hundred trees in the limestone to the South West that could also be possible, but this one seems to fit with the hint of a track in the background and should be about the right angle for the viaduct.

Not a tree I have seen before, so not on the usual routes. Looking at the image I would guess here - https://goo.gl/maps/hSPQr6s15GjSbRub8 - but there are a hundred trees in the limestone to the South West that could also be possible, but this one seems to fit with the hint of a track in the background and should be about the right angle for the viaduct.

I actually only found the tree yesterday while trying to find a waterfall near Ribblehead.

You going to give us a clue?

Welllllllll...... Since you asekd :p

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 85
I don't wish to dampen your spirits but if the 'tree' is the one I am thinking of it isn't at Ribblehead but close to Malham Cove not far from Malham Tarn. Just a bit south east of Ribblehead The Malham cove one is well known and has appeared several time in Landscape Photography Year Books.

I don't wish to dampen your spirits but if the 'tree' is the one I am thinking of it isn't at Ribblehead but close to Malham Cove not far from Malham Tarn. Just a bit south east of Ribblehead The Malham cove one is well known and has appeared several time in Landscape Photography Year Books.

There's 4 lone trees that I know of. One just above Malham Cove on Malham Rakes road. Another in the area of the above screenshot and 2 more around Ingleton.

Last edited:
There are probably hundreds of "lone trees" in the dales. The mix of limestone and hawthorn trees (I think) seem to make them a fairly common sight if you know where to look.

Back