Where should I get my sensor cleaned?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

My sensor is very dirty and definitely needs a clean.
I won't be able to do this myself as I have a disability, so I would need a shop or company to do it.
I have used the rocket air blaster, and it has made no difference to the dust spots (it might have removed a few), and there are a couple of hairs on the sensor too!

I have had a quick google, and have seen harrisoncameras do sensor cleaning for £39.99 including picking up and dropping the camera back off.
Would this be a good place to do it, or are there any alternatives that you would recommend?

Make sure it's a wet clean (whover does it for you).

Don't go to Jessops.

They "cleaned" my Canon 5DMK2 sensor a while back using a carbon brush and made it worse.

Then had the cheek to suggest the "dust box" was full and that's why they couldn't clean it.

You don't say where you are located but I know Fixation offer this service and have heard good feedback from customers of theirs.

Surely someone from on here would offer to do it for you? It's a very quick and simple thing to do for anyone with normal dexterity. If I lived closer to you I'd be happy to do it.

I can heartily recommend Camserve for that kind of thing. they are based in East Sussex - http://camserve.co.uk/

They were suggested to me on here when I had a fungus problem on a lens. Dropped it off and they did an excellent job, although a postal service is available. Give them a call and see :)

WEX offer sensor cleaning in there stores if you have one near by. They often offer it as a free service during the numerous open day type events they do throughout the year.

If you can hang on and happen to be going to the Photography show, there are several companies that offer a free sensor cleaning service.

According to his profile he’s in Cambridgeshire ,bit far for me but hopefully someone nearby can help you out

I believe London Camera Exchange can do it and I bet Jessops would be ok despite the post above - one idiot doesn't mean all of their staff are the same. Fixation are fine but are pricey when you take postage into consideration (and depending what camera you have)

Surely someone from on here would offer to do it for you? It's a very quick and simple thing to do for anyone with normal dexterity. If I lived closer to you I'd be happy to do it.

Ah, that's very kind!

I will probably end up sending it to harrisons but will give cam serve a phone too.

If you can hang on and happen to be going to the Photography show, there are several companies that offer a free sensor cleaning service.

I'm not sure it can quite wait that long as I'm going to be doing a few shoots between now and then, but a good idea for keeping the sensor clear for the future! On a slightly unrelated note to the topic; is the Photography show a good event?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I'll be a bit more active on here, and able to show some more photos with a clean sensor!

Reactions: Sky
I know it's a bit of a longshot nowadays, but if you have an 'old fashioned proper' camera shop in your area, i'm sure they will do it for you.

It's a shame we have lost most of them, but check your local phone book.

Good Luck.

I personally don't like Rocket Blowers as I have said before. My thoughts are ,if your sensor is that dirty they so the inside of the camera which no doubt has a fair bit if dirt/dust a well. By blowing dust off the sensor you are also blowing up any other dirt/dust making things a lot worse. for loose dust use an Arctic Butterfly and swaps/wet wipe for stubborn dirt.

Pity Andy is so far away or I would have cleaned his sensor for him

If you are able I don't understand why people don't get a kit like this. I would have thought it is just as important as any other photographic equipment

FQKHNZR.jpg

for the price of a couple of memory cards or so the above will save a load of time without a camera and after a few times of use be a lot cheaper than sending a camera away for a few days.

Last edited:
I personally don't like Rocket Blowers as I have said before. My thoughts are ,if your sensor is that dirty they so the inside of the camera which no doubt has a fair bit if dirt/dust a well. By blowing dust off the sensor you are also blowing up any other dirt/dust making things a lot worse. for loose dust use an Arctic Butterfly and swaps/wet wipe for stubborn dirt.

Pity Andy is so far away or I would have cleaned his sensor for him

If you are able I don't understand why people don't get a kit like this. I would have thought it is just as important as any other photographic equipment

FQKHNZR.jpg

for the price of a couple of memory cards or so the above will save a load of time without a camera and after a few times of use be a lot cheaper than sending a camera away for a few days.

Probably best not to use those swabs now

Is Harrisons is your nearest camera store and the price includes collection and drop off, go for it.

Back