Where to buy - Glass for negative carrier

Name
Mads
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I've been given a krokus 35sl enlarger and I've noticed the negative carrier only has one piece of glass in it, where it should be two. The glass measures 4x4cm, does anyone have any knowledge of where to get glass for this purpose, or do I just go to a picture frame maker and ask for some cut?
Thanks guys and girls

Evening all,

I've been given a krokus 35sl enlarger and I've noticed the negative carrier only has one piece of glass in it, where it should be two. The glass measures 4x4cm, does anyone have any knowledge of where to get glass for this purpose, or do I just go to a picture frame maker and ask for some cut?
Thanks guys and girls

Does it actually need to have glass in it?

I am not familiar with the enlarger but unless the glass is a must in order to hold the neg in place, I would think it may not be important

Might be worthwhile getting in touch with ebay seller Royrk who has a selection of enlarger bits. They also have a website if you don't want to go via eBay, and I think they might have something that would fit.

Last edited:
Does it actually need to have glass in it?

I am not familiar with the enlarger but unless the glass is a must in order to hold the neg in place, I would think it may not be important
Yeah, I did wonder if I could do without, but it doesn't hold the neg in place without it, and in a fairly pronounced way lol

I have a universal carrier, it carries 2 pieces of glass and sandwiches the neg, it came with only 1 piece so I bought a piece of anti-newton glass cut by the manufacturer for that particular carrier.
Anyway, shortly after that I decided that I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than face cleaning dust off 6 surfaces, so I dumped that and went with a glass-less carrier, I strongly urge you to do the same..:)
Alternatively, if the carrier requires glass to function and there isn't a glass-less carrier for the Krokus, you can buy bits of anti-newton class on teabay, dunno about picture framing glass.
I would even consider making a glass less carrier rather than try to juggle 6 balls in the dusty air, but mebbe that's just me..:D

I've got a glassless carrier from my universal enlarger, but it doesn't sit particularly nicely in the slot. I've also got one from an LPL300 enlarger thats a real squeeze but it just about fits in place, I'm sure I can manage with.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys

I favoured glassless for the same reasons of dust, and only had glass where necessary. Even 5x4 negative carriers can be glassless, and sheet film lacks the tensioning that longer strips in 120 and 35mm can provide. I used glassless even on 35mm.

Back