Where to buy XP disk with serial?

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend asked me to look at her PC and it is riddled with junk, malware, non-functioning programs and so forth. The best solution I have is to reformat and start again.

The problem is that the Windows XP on is is flagged up as non-legal also :thumbsdown:

I'm trying to find where to purchase a legal version of XP Home / Pro that I can install - the spec is too old for Win7 and I gave away my Vista disks to someone on these pages as I didn't see a use for them :(

Any pointers? I don't want ebay as there are too many risks of getting illegal software there.

Thanks, Kevin

Is the original code still on the sticker on the PC?

No, there is nothing there.

I've checked with SIW to find the serial number and found it but as I say, it seems to be an illegal one according to MS.

Thanks Neil; not sure I trust market place sellers on Play / Amazon etc much more than I do ebay but it might be worth a look as a fallback position.

Do you just need an OEM serial or the disk as well?

I ask as I have a very old laptop gathering dust at home that is going to be trashed that you can use the OEM serial from.

The only problem is I am in Paris at the moment and don't get back until the 17th

Thanks Keith, the problem with that offer however is that OEM is tied to the machine and so it wouldn't be legal to use it :(

Hope you are enjoying Paris ;)

I think you can unregister it from that machine onto another?

Thanks Keith, the problem with that offer however is that OEM is tied to the machine and so it wouldn't be legal to use it :(

Hope you are enjoying Paris ;)

I think you can unregister it from that machine onto another?

Pretty much

I have done this a few times with no problems or agro from Microsoft

As long as you are not actively using it on 2 or more laptops then you should be fine

In which case I'd be very pleased to be sent your serial number when you get the chance, as well as the version of xp which came with the machine originally.

Thanks, Kevin

In which case I'd be very pleased to be sent your serial number when you get the chance, as well as the version of xp which came with the machine originally.

Thanks, Kevin

Will PM you when I get back with all the relevant details.

OEM software is licensed for use on the equipment with which it was supplied only. If that computer dies, the license dies with it.

OEM software is licensed for use on the equipment with which it was supplied only. If that computer dies, the license dies with it.
Legally correct, but Microsoft will revalidate an OEM license on a new computer (I've done it here direct with the Microsoft servers).

I know this is a fine line and we aren't permitted to discuss breaching EULAs, but I'm just reporting what I have found with my copies when dealing direct with Microsoft and their licensing servers

Microsoft's servers frequently slip up and "turn a blind eye" to their licensing rules. Even if you telephone their staff, they will often reactivate a license. But technically, the license is sold on the condition that it dies with the hardware - that's partly why OEM software is cheaper than retail boxed versions. I had an instance with a client who wanted Vista upgrade ( yes, really!) and despite my advising not to as his computer was not up to running it, he installed then activated. 3 days later he asks me to supply a new computer - saying he would use the upgrade disk. He installed it and it activated with no problems - despite it now being on 2 computers at the same time. Last week I installed a brand new server - fully licensed and activated. Plugged in a different keyboard and mouse and it asked for activation again!!!!!! THe whole activation system is "hit or miss" and doesn't really do what Microsoft intended.

So when I change out the guts of my computers are you telling me I can not reactivate my OEM software?

I think you will find that I can

I have XP Power Pack for older machines. ;)

So when I change out the guts of my computers are you telling me I can not reactivate my OEM software?

I think you will find that I can

Read the EULA…….officially, you can't……If people read the EULA before purchase, they probably wouldn't buy the software!
:eek:

Read the EULA…….officially, you can't……If people read the EULA before purchase, they probably wouldn't buy the software!
:eek:
The line is drawn because it is up to the OEM to define what is defined as an "allowed" change. The OEM is responsible for supporting the OEM license, not Microsoft. It is this fact that makes the OEM license cheaper as Microsoft doesn't have to support the product direct - retail versions have to be supported by Microsoft direct.

Now, if I as an OEM (I build my own PCs) need to change the motherboard and processor, because the old one has broken, does it actually matter if I'm replacing the old motherboard with one that is exactly the same but with a different serial number or with a newer board with a newer processor in? What is "maintenance" vs "upgrading"? I shouldn't have to buy a new license if I'm just replacing a broken part and given the lifecycles of mobos and CPUs these days, the fact I have to replace it with something that is different to the original should not be a surprise. Neither should the fact that I wouldn't expect to have to re-buy the license again as the reason the license is cheaper is because Microsoft don't do the tech support. What's important is that I'm only using the license once.

To quote Microsoft from: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx

The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

So in reality (i.e. legally) the laptop license can't be transferred because the OEM probably didn't build the two machines in question here, although my OEM license can - in reality - be on any PC I build (as I support it and any changes because any particular component broke would be OK).

Given Microsofts shift to a low cost pricing for Windows 8, I think they are realising it's better to sell lots of legit copies cheaply than fewer copies at a high price and get hacked constantly.

Given Microsofts shift to a low cost pricing for Windows 8, I think they are realising it's better to sell lots of legit copies cheaply than fewer copies at a high price and get hacked constantly.

indeed, however i can see them going down the OSX route and keeping it 99% same on each "new" release to save development costs.

Back