Where to find them

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had used a site like casting call pro (I've used for actors before) to source subjects for Portrait/Couple photography?

If so could you recommend some good places?

I want to build a portfolio and improve my experience in this area.

Cheers

What James linked.
Interesting question, for 'models' there are register sites, but I wouldn't go to models for a 'couple', as in the thread linked by James, getting real people in front of the camera shouldn't be difficult. To shoot 'a couple' is about them, their relationship, 2 pretty strangers won't help you to learn how that works.

Totally agree, I've done some filming and genuine comparability is hard to find in actors and I imagine even more so in models. The point was really around portraits and using models that can help me as the photographer in ways through their experiences.

Totally agree, I've done some filming and genuine comparability is hard to find in actors and I imagine even more so in models. The point was really around portraits and using models that can help me as the photographer in ways through their experiences.
The thing about 'models' is that they model, they don't behave like ordinary people do in front of the camera, so they can teach you nothing of relevance unless you're planning to shoot more models.

Even with 'real people' the differences can be huge.

My 2 eldest kids 'light up' when I point a camera at them, I've got hundreds of pictures of them that are so much better than they look to the naked eye, with the oldest daughter it's visible, point a camera and her eyes get larger. The youngest - is like me, point a camera at her and she doesn't know what to 'do' with her face, it takes a while to get her past it, and I have very few pictures of her where she looks 'as good as' she looks in real life.

I've had customers at both ends of that scale and all points in between. Portrait photography is about 'people' in the same way that wildlife photography is about wildlife and Landscape photography is about landscapes, we all have to work at getting the right thing out of our subject - just pointing a camera at it isn't good enough.

What Phil said...

Models are useful if you want to experiment with lights and technique but they are - hopefully - used to being in front of a camera and arranging themselves to look good.
I just ask people I know, and occasionally people I don't know at all. Most say yes.

The thing about 'models' is that they model, they don't behave like ordinary people do in front of the camera, so they can teach you nothing of relevance unless you're planning to shoot more models.

Even with 'real people' the differences can be huge.

My 2 eldest kids 'light up' when I point a camera at them, I've got hundreds of pictures of them that are so much better than they look to the naked eye, with the oldest daughter it's visible, point a camera and her eyes get larger. The youngest - is like me, point a camera at her and she doesn't know what to 'do' with her face, it takes a while to get her past it, and I have very few pictures of her where she looks 'as good as' she looks in real life.

I've had customers at both ends of that scale and all points in between. Portrait photography is about 'people' in the same way that wildlife photography is about wildlife and Landscape photography is about landscapes, we all have to work at getting the right thing out of our subject - just pointing a camera at it isn't good enough.
Very true, I have seen some of Tony Northrup videos and the model in them is SO different in behaviour from normal behaviour - her phone stays in her pocket the whole time which is a big change.

Thats because Tony Northrup's main model is his wife ;) and his business partner so it pays for her to do it properly.

Asking friends is a good way to practice with genuine couples. I done a few shoots with friends like that. It can also be easier because you already have a raport with them.

Thats because Tony Northrup's main model is his wife ;) and his business partner so it pays for her to do it properly.

Asking friends is a good way to practice with genuine couples. I done a few shoots with friends like that. It can also be easier because you already have a raport with them.
True but I can think of some IMHO equally pretty women who I can't imagine posing that easily - and certainly not standing still whilst I talk to camera without doing something to ruin the shoot.

Back