Where to get a CLA done?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
As above - where and how much should I expect for a good going over of a Pentax MX + LX?

I sent my Ross Ensign off to Miles Whitehead who did an excellent job for £45 including postage. Not sure how much it would cost for a more complicated camera but I would recommend him.

Andy

Miles has my MX at the moment for a health check (and it isn't very healthy), he quoted ££40+del, if you're not in a rush I can let you know what I think when I get it back.

Miles has my MX at the moment for a health check (and it isn't very healthy), he quoted ££40+del, if you're not in a rush I can let you know what I think when I get it back.

What's the problem with the MX? Could be a useful indicator!

mirror sticks (no foam buffer), shutter is slow, counter doesn't reset shutter speed is erratic, lightseals are munged. the usual issues with an un-used camera.

mirror sticks (no foam buffer), shutter is slow, counter doesn't reset shutter speed is erratic, lightseals are munged. the usual issues with an un-used camera.

Compared to that mine's in fine health! I only have a little metering issue with mine, and of course whatever turns out to be mullered in the LX.

You're in luck, I have also had my MX CLA'd by Miles Whitehead. Mine was in reasonably good condition (more clean and lube rather than adjust/service), but it was nice having a serviced camera for certain. It takes a while, but relatively he is very good value for money and I have no problems recommending him. As for the LX - LXs are notorious for being difficult to keep going, especially if they've had pro usage and need spare parts, so I'd email him and ask him first.

Hmm, just saw the other thread, it was the beater from Rocky Cameras. IMO - you're a brave man.

Last edited:
Dare I ask how much it cost?

I'm more mad than brave! I can never say no to a bargain bin old beater...

Dare I ask how much it cost?

I'm more mad than brave! I can never say no to a bargain bin old beater...

A professionally used beaten LX could be completely unusable, never mind the cost. I don't know how much Miles would charge, but if you see Harrow Technical's prices you can see the gap between most of the K1000/MX cameras compared to the LX:

http://harrowtechnical.co.uk/repair-prices/

The description for your camera was "This is a working item,shutter firing correctly.This is in well used cosmetic conditon" so you'll just have to wait and see I guess - at least it sounds possibly like it doesn't suffer from the dreaded mirror up problem a lot of LXs suffer from.

A professionally used beaten LX could be completely unusable, never mind the cost. I don't know how much Miles would charge, but if you see Harrow Technical's prices you can see the gap between most of the K1000/MX cameras compared to the LX:

http://harrowtechnical.co.uk/repair-prices/

The description for your camera was "This is a working item,shutter firing correctly.This is in well used cosmetic conditon" so you'll just have to wait and see I guess - at least it sounds possibly like it doesn't suffer from the dreaded mirror up problem a lot of LXs suffer from.

Yes that last one was my main worry and why I've been keen to avoid ebay for them where people will pay silly money for a camera that is compleely untested (or tested as dead and the seller blatantly knows this...). Luckily that particular problem seems confined to LXs which have been sat in the garage for 20 years.

I'll give it a go at any rate!

***It really isnt difficult to repair the canon cough***

erm so it would be even easier for say a retired camera technician or similar, and if he can do the job in 10 mins (and has a wife that can do the packing/posting etc) and has a supply of cameras sent to him, that's a nice income per hour or week.

Last edited:
The real worry is that the person is just someone who uses a needle to inject some oil into the general area (the quick fix method listed on the net), rather than someone who does it properly by taking apart the affected areas and properly re-lubricating them.

Besides, someone like Miles Whitehead doesn't even cost that more and you get your seals replaced (along with the whole CLA shebang), unlike this eBay advert. The price of peace of mind...

....just thinking aloud:- there are a lot of skilled retired people around (and it's increasing) from all types of jobs who wouldn't mind some spare cash esp working at home.

As an ex engineer you could call me skilled, but I won't be taking an LX apart. I've pulled the ME apart but that is much, much simpler than an LX which requires special tools and a lot more experience!

excalibur2 said:
....just thinking aloud:- there are a lot of skilled retired people around (and it's increasing) from all types of jobs who wouldn't mind some spare cash esp working at home.

For all of those people there's also people looking to make a quick buck (or pound)!

For all of those people there's also people looking to make a quick buck (or pound)!

Indeed I got ripped off at a shop (not in central London) a few weeks ago taking two old cheap watches (worth about £5 each new) to have batteries put in (as I couldn't get the back off to do it myself), I had a shock after two mins work when he said "That's £10".

This place might be of interest to you:

http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/repairs.htm

They have the UK's only technician trained by Pentax to service the LX back to factory specification. I got my dads 50mm f1.7 repaired there and they did an excellent job.

They came up in a recent unrelated search and have an email on the way (y)

Just thoight I'd update to say it's wingoing it's way to Asahi Photo ltd right now. Quoted £85 + VAT + Shipping for the LX CLA so around the same as Harrow Technical.

That sounds a very reasonable amount, considering the clout that the technicians at Asahi Photo have. Dare I say it, possibly once serviced, your main 35mm shooter?

It may be, but the OM2 has been doing such a good job, Zuiko 24mm and Vivitar 135mm make such a fantastic combination I'll have to work hard to tear myself away from them, as I have neither on the LX!

If I can bag a Pentax FA 20mm F2.8 I think the Pentax will definitely become number 1.

I think that the Pentax-M series of lenses are about as close as design goodness gets for SLR lenses, aside from old Nikon lenses (which are absolute works of art). Some fantastic industrial design.

Didn't realise there was an A version in 2.8, I've never seen one for sale anywhere.

Further update: Phone call today to say it's ready. Not bad, 10 days turnaround and very friendly folks.

Back