Where To Get Film Processed and Printed

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I guess this has been asked lots of times but where do people send their films and how much should I expect to pay? I found a place local to me but they're charging me £12 to process and print a 24 exposure film, that seems a be excessive to me, especially as I'm only just starting out with film and half of them will probably be useless[emoji3]

Cheers

I use Snappy Snaps in Lincoln. They charge me £6.00 to develop and do a medium resolution scan (24 exposure). I do not have prints done.

I guess this has been asked lots of times but where do people send their films and how much should I expect to pay? I found a place local to me but they're charging me £12 to process and print a 24 exposure film, that seems a be excessive to me, especially as I'm only just starting out with film and half of them will probably be useless[emoji3]

Cheers

filmdev.co.uk is liked here but the problem is the postage cost to get the film to them..so film dev plus low scan would be £3.50 but RM postage to them is £2.90.

As you're not far from Plymouth have you tried Spectrum Labs, I think you can hand them in in person so you could see what options are available?. I used to send mine there for developing, although I did not have prints done..
Link HERE

Ok cheers, I'll have a look. What size prints would I be able to get from low/med res scan if I was to print from them? Cheers

I was going to take mine to snappy snaps but I got put off by something I read about them somewhere saying they wasn't very good, albeit wasn't my local store

Snappy Snaps is a franchise business so each branch is a separate business. Lincoln Snappy Snaps is staffed by film enthusiasts with high standards. Some branches are rubbish. I would risk one film with your local branch to see how good they are.

Torbaydos sounds dangerously close to Mifsuds but I can't see any mention of D&P on their site. The last couple of films I've had developed were done by SnappySnaps at the top of Fore Street in Exeter - worth a trip up if their prices are decent and you have a few to get done, especially if you have another reason to trot up the 380! Been a couple of years since I shot any film though. :(

ETA (having seen the SnappySnaps comments) The Exeter store used to be staffed by at least one enthusiast.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is any where in Aberystwyth that still develops film?

Well if Aberystwyth has a Tesco super store AND A LAST RESORT..... you could see if they would dev and scan film, IIRC they send the film off to Max Spielmann but you take the chance that you don't get crappy results and be overcharged.

Think I will use AG photographic and mail them off as last resort if I can find one

I'm not trying to put anyone off using AG as they do provide a good service nowadays but FilmDev are usually much quicker. I generally post films off on my way home from work and more often than not (even if I send them 2nd class) I get the downloads in 24 or at most 48 hours.

I'm not trying to put anyone off using AG as they do provide a good service nowadays but FilmDev are usually much quicker. I generally post films off on my way home from work and more often than not (even if I send them 2nd class) I get the downloads in 24 or at most 48 hours.

What he said and, the quality is excellent and not compromised by their fantastic speed

Boots in Lancaster still does instore film dev. I have been buying and testing cameras recently in an effort to find a favourite rangefinder and whilst precious shots go elsewhere I'm glad there are still there. But like a friend of mine says about pubs; if they cater just for my needs they won't be in business for long.

Hi all, new here and new to film photography. Does anyone know if the prices for Film Dev include VAT? (I have emailed them, but thought someone might know here sooner)

Thanks

Hi all, new here and new to film photography. Does anyone know if the prices for Film Dev include VAT? (I have emailed them, but thought someone might know here sooner)

Thanks

Yes, they do include VAT.

Sad day for me as the m\c at Asda has broken down and they ain't going to fix it...oh well I'll wait till my 3rd film is used up and send them all off to Filmdev.

If I had a local Asda that did in-store developing then I would definitely try that as it seems one of the cheapest places.

I have used Snappy Snaps in central London but found they were very expensive for high res scans.
I've also used the Lomo-store developing but have now found out they actually contract some of the developing to Snappy Snaps.
Both of these were convenient though as I could drop a film off in person.

The last 4 or 5 films I've done have been either AG or Filmdev. Both are good but Filmdev are just that bit quicker getting the scans to me.
If you don't put your film in a plastic canister, you can sometimes send it as a 'letter' meaning the postage is cheaper.

Excellent service from AG Photographic again last week: I posted a load of C41 films off to them at lunchtime on Thursday, and received lovely clean, dust-free negatives back first thing Saturday morning. Very happy :)

Excellent service from AG Photographic again last week: I posted a load of C41 films off to them at lunchtime on Thursday, and received lovely clean, dust-free negatives back first thing Saturday morning. Very happy :)
I've consistently had similarly good service from AG Photolab for the last couple of years now, which is why I use them. I can't fault them at all. (y)

Also had good service from AG. But also from Filmdev, Palm Labs and *gasp* a quick and dirty 1hr dev/scan at Jessops.

Go into Palm and AG a fair bit and they've both run by friendly helpful staff. I even know the Jessops minilab guy now... Birmingham is generally pretty good for getting film dev'd

Also had good service from AG. But also from Filmdev, Palm Labs and *gasp* a quick and dirty 1hr dev/scan at Jessops.

Go into Palm and AG a fair bit and they've both run by friendly helpful staff. I even know the Jessops minilab guy now... Birmingham is generally pretty good for getting film dev'd
I have always found Palm Labs to be excellent. Mostly I use my local Snappy Snaps but they do not do E6 or Black and White so then its Palm labs.

I've been using the Darkroom UK for years and have always had good results. They just revamped their website to make ordering film devving online easier, freepost to send the film, £2.00 postage return.

Back