Review Where to purchase a Pentax 67 in the UK (February 2019)

Name
Felix
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I’m new to this site and am just getting started with buying second-hand cameras. I am currently on the search for a Pentax 67, with either the 90mm f2.8 or the 105mm f2.4 (both of which preferably being the SMC Pentax or S-M-C Takumar models). I have spent lots of time trying to find one on eBay, but have been thrown off by the prospect of having to pay import duty and VAT on top of the already-grand total sum. I am a student and am working on a relatively tight budget, specifically around the £600/£700 mark. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a reliable seller, or how to go about finding one.
Thanks,
Felix

Hi Felix - I can recommend West Yorkshire Cameras (http://wycameras.com/) and Peter Walnes (https://secure.peterwalnes.com/) who both have Pentax 67 gear in stock every now and again. They also come up for sale on here occasionally.

Hopefully someone will reply who is thinking about moving their's on.

If you want one quickly, eBay is a good option, and I've seen plenty for sale in Europe if you want to avoid the Japanese import fees. You just need to keep your eyes peeled.

At the risk of being seen as being dim, if the OP purchases from within the UK then the seller ( eBay or otherwise) will presumably be selling at a price that already incorporates any import fees that would be imposed should he purchase from outside of the EU.

Six of one, half dozen of the other is it not.

I suspect Brian's correct. A lot of film cameras are considerably more expensive than they were a couple of years ago. :(

When I was actively looking for one, it felt like there were absolutely none for sale.

Predictably, it feels like I do see them popping up for sale for time to time now that I am not actively looking for one! Just have your eyes peeled everywhere - reputable second hand stores, eBay, Gumtree (with the normal caveats about buying from places like that).

They are great, durable and sturdy cameras, but don't take a rubbish example for the sake of acquiring the camera ASAP. A good, reasonably priced example will pop up.

Hunting one down is half the fun , Good luck finding one they are one hell of a camera.
I purchased one new 30 odd years ago and it cost a small fortune then :oops: :$

Are you willing to purchase from an EU-based shop? Photohaus in Germany have Pentax 6x7 with a 105mm for the equivalent of £695: https://www.photohaus.de/shop/pentax-6x7-ttl-24-105mm/

Great cameras. I bought a beaten up 6x7 MLU (with great-condition SMC 105mm f/2.4) last year in South Korea and I've enjoyed it far more than I expected.

Should I be worried about the age of the 6x7 MLU compared to that of the 67?

I don’t think so. I’ve owned three 6x7 bodies and currently have a 67. Two of the 6x7s were real beaters, but they all worked fine. You should pay quite a bit less for the 6x7, so try and get one in the best condition and ideally with a few months warranty.

Well, surely they made the 6x7 MLU up to the time they released the 67, so you could in theory purchase a late 6x7 MLU that's similar in age to the first 67 bodies. I got to handle both the 6x7 and 67 in the shop in Seoul before I purchased (as well as a 67II) and there's not much between them.

I would just go with the best deal you can get.

At the risk of being seen as being dim, if the OP purchases from within the UK then the seller ( eBay or otherwise) will presumably be selling at a price that already incorporates any import fees that would be imposed should he purchase from outside of the EU.

Six of one, half dozen of the other is it not.

True, however if I bought the camera from a seller outside of the EU, and it turned out to be a dud, it would be a lot of trouble to try and get it returned.

f I bought the camera from a seller outside of the EU, and it turned out to be a dud, it would be a lot of trouble to try and get it returned

Why would it be a lot of trouble?

In the unlikely event of a problem, contact seller, agree on a return, obtain delivery address, pack and post.

Where's the "trouble" in that?

If it comes through ebay just ask the question " Is it fully working ? " if its not when it arrives you have the question in your comms with the seller to show ebay HQ

Why would it be a lot of trouble?

In the unlikely event of a problem, contact seller, agree on a return, obtain delivery address, pack and post.

Where's the "trouble" in that?

Just the shipping costs (which the sellers usually won’t pay for).

Just the shipping costs (

of which you may have already saved by possibly purchasing cheaper from outside of the EU ( inc tax etc) in the first place.

I"m not trying to kid you that a purchase ifrom the UK / Europe, is a better or worse option than purchasing elsewhere, Asia,, America, Japan or the moon but there are a lot of folk who pass on their fears of stepping out of thheir home country …..It's like the "unknown" lol

I have occasionally advertised on here or enquired about purchases and all is fine until it's realised that I live in France then it's like, an OMG response.

Fortunately that hasn't been the case all the time ( in particular with purchases that I've made) and I thank those sellers for being open minded and understanding that France or any other country is still on this planet and the folk who live in those countries are human!!

Quite rightly you will purchase from wherever you feel comfortable with, I would just propose that you don't completely dismiss sales from the other side of the world completely as you may at some point ( not necessarily this purchase) be cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Good luck with your search…...

Last edited:
Ebay has listings for a number of Pentax 67 / 6x7 previously belonging to Sam Haskins. The couple I looked at seem to be in need of shutter repair, so you'd need to price that before bidding. They finish on Friday morning, so you'd need to be quick!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/infoimag...VzMAAOSwS3Ncb~Im&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I’ve scrolled past them a couple of times under the assumption that they’ll rocket up in price given their previous ownership... I’ll keep my eyes peeled though

Back