Where to start?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Some of you may of seen a recent thread in general tp asking about WW2 cameras. Well just yesterday I had to take a lower position at work earning £4k less in order to not be made redundant so money is going to be too tight to start investing in equipment.

However, for some reason I've spent the last hour browsing ebay looking at old film cameras. I have come to 2 conclusions:

1) I like the idea of getting into film

2) I know bugger all about it :D

So, I am looking for links on the history of photography, camera development over the years, different types of film, techniques and anything else I may not of mentioned that you think will be useful.

And why don't we have a tutorial section on convention film photography?

EDIT: oh, and any links of old photos, i'd like to see how images have developed through the years :)

You should be able to reearch most of this stuff via Google, but the history of photograhy is actually fascinating. Very early photoraphers were true artisans, they built there own camera, sensitized there own plates, and did all there own procesing - there were no other options in those early days. :shrug:

It's interesting too how formats have gradually got smaller over time. Leica brought out their first 35mm camera in the 1920s to howls of mirth from most people at the size of the postage stamp format, and in all honesty the quality of the images wasn't that great with early films. What 35mm did though was free the likes of Henri Cartier Bresson to become true 'fly on the wall' photographers working hand held and inconspicuously in a way they never could before.

Gradually the 35mm format was accepted as film quality improved, but it was a slow process. As late as the early 60s when I started getting into photography, Rolleflex twin lens medium format cameras were everywhere with scorn still being heaped on 35mm by many users, in fact it was still the big controversial issue of the time, although the smaller format was being adopted by more and more users as film quality improved. Now it's film versus digital - nothing is really new is it? :D

The film tutorial section could be a good idea....

35mm can be set up reasonably cheaply if you want to, maybe you have a local film user who will let you use their darkroom and show you the ropes to see if you want to get into it

I don't know where market drayton is but if its in cornwall I'll sort you out (if I get mine set up) :D

You have a Nikon camera now so if you look at the Nikon range there are some that would basically just replace your digital body. The F80 for example will still run VR, AFS, G lenses etc....

And why don't we have a tutorial section on convention film photography?

Harvey,

Its a shame you don't live considerably nearer! I have just bought a complete B&W film developing setup with enlarger, loads of paper etc and am building a darkroom into my new studio! I am in a similar position in that I have never done any developing at all so I am going to be learning it all over the next few months.

Why not stick an advert in the wanted section. You would be amazed at just how cheaply the stuff changes hands.

Thanks for the comments :)

I've found a few dirt cheap old cameras on ebay, including an Ilford Craftsman using 120/620 film. I may have to treat myself (secretly :p)

I've just found my 35mm Minolta 440si, but it's just too new and doesn't have the ability to really play with the settings so I may have to sell that which should give me a few extra pennies :D

Have a look at Ross Ensign cameras. British made, great lenses, fantastically well engineered folding bellows. They are mainly fully manual an take 120 film and cost next to nothing.

Andy

Well I am currently looking at the following:

Vest Pocket Kodak - currently at £3 and takes 127 film

Ilford Craftsman - currently at £1 and takes 120/620 film.

Both winning bids on them so far. No idea what they'll be like because they look a bit tatty but for that price, who cares, it'll just be nice to tinker with them :D

I'd stick to stuff that will work with either 35mm or 120 film to be honest, preferably 35mm if you're not going to processed it yourself.

Back