WHERE TO STORE PAPER BACKGROUNDS

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Lately I've been getting a bit carried away with purchasing new backgrounds, and now I'm struggling to store them. I have a roller support system that holds 3 at a time, but need to find something that will hold the other ten or so. I wondered if anyone uses any kind of stand or anything for the ones that are not in use?

In the garage. It's the 3m vinyl ones that are a major pain in the arse...

I just keep mine in the garage. I put up a 3m long shelf about 30cm wide and I just keep them all laid flat on there (still in their original bag and box to protect from the damp or getting bashed)

Usually putting the paper background rolls flat causes them to develop creases (or rather waves). I'd store them upright and rolled as tightly as possible. The garage might not be a good place due to humidity.

The garage might not be a good place due to humidity.

You would think that bit I put them back in the plastic bag/sleeve they came in and I tape the end up. It's certainly not air tight but the garage environment doesn't seem to have had any detrimental affect. In an ideal world I'd store it elsewhere however 3m long tubes aren't the easiest to store and the wife's understanding has it's limits...

if you can store them vertically, do, it'll stop them from rippling. Even just propped up in a corner is fine

if you can store them vertically, do, it'll stop them from rippling. Even just propped up in a corner is fine

I've not had that problem with mine but they are supported along their full length. You would only get rippling if the it was left on a support system where it could sag in the middle slightly under its own weight.

I have a four roll support system in the studio. It works really well and makes changing backdrop a breese. BUT the rolls will sag unless you put them on a metal tube that will not bend under the weight.

I have even tried rotating each roll every day I go into the studio, but they still sag over time.

You then find yourself battling the rippling when you unroll them.

I now store them upright in the corner on the support systems so that I can hook them up in seconds if I need them.

Almost as fast and saves the sags.

Last edited:
Where do you buy back drop paper from? As I'm using a black & white muslin kind off material that creases very easily thanks....

I used creativity backgrounds last time too. No issues and a decent product.

Ebay, Calumet, creativity backgrounds are three that I've used, there will be more

Creativity backgrounds... There prices seem good... I'd go for a 2m length as it's just for fun at home... But gives that more professional look, would a paper background be better than the material types?

Back