Where would you go if you had a free week?

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Due to conflicting family holiday schedules it seems that I have a whole week available to be on my own this year, and it’s about time I got out and about with the camera as it’s feeling a bit neglected!

Due to Bucks Art Weeks being in June and wanting some new work to present, I have until the end of May to take a week off and ideally I’d like to focus on long exposure seascapes or simple coastal scenes. Will be taking the drone too, so there’s a hope for some abstract images with that too. Luckily as I work for myself I can take any week off and I will be going in our home made campervan, so can go anywhere without having to worry about booking accommodation and can ‘chase the weather’ if need be.

So, given the option, where and when would you go? The safe and easy options would be to head towards the Jurassic Coast or the Norfolk coast and the less easy option would perhaps be the Isles of Lewis and Harris. Either way I’m open to all options and as I’ll have no family in tow and could even meet up if anyone has plans. Would be interested in your thoughts!

Lucky chap Danny!
My suggestions would be:
- Northumberland around Bambergh castle up to berwick
- pop over to Brittany for the “pink granite coast”
- north Cornwall coast

I shoot a lot in Scotland and Northumberland so I guess I might not do either particularly if I had a week to myself but if you haven't done so before, well worth a visit to either. Harris is gorgeous but then. that whole area is, so you wouldn't necessarily have to go quite so remote.

Spoilt for choice in the UK really. I could happily spend a week in the Lakes or Yorkshire dales too and not scratch the surface.

Personally I'd be tempted by Northern Ireland if you like coastal photography. It's certainly on my to-do list.

If I had a week with camaras and drone id certainly head to ireland, north probably but I see so many places posted in drone threads, it seems to be the best of anything in the uk without the crowds constantly.

I would also say it’s small enough to get in a few locations quite easily in the week.

Given your time frame of May, I'd avoid the Dorset coastline purely as the best light won't hit much of the coastline that time of year.

Northumberland is a good shout, as is the Lake District. Any west coast of Scotland would be good too, Harris you'd have to factor in the travel time and wether you'd lose too much of the week.

North Wales is somewhere I'd like to have a look at more too, so might be worth a try.

I would advise against meeting strangers from the internet you don't know but its your life.

Last thing I'd want is to get to somewhere remote only to find that some geezer was there with a nasty buzzy drone ...

Toys, eh?

NE coast, whitby, Staithes, Saltburn and heading up all the way to Northumberland.

North West Scotland (Torridon to a little beyond Ullapool gives some superb sceney but is short enough so you won't be driving all day) or the North Norfolk coast.

Dave

North coast in Northern Ireland is beautiful.

Loads of photo opportunities.

Giants Causeay
Dark Hedges
Ballintoy Harbour
Carrick-a-rede rope bridge
Mussenden Temple
Downhill Beach

Just to name a few.

Last edited:
So I would ditch the campervan, at this time of the year book myself into a nice hotel that has a log fire and a bar. Sure I would take my camera and a cleaning kit and give it a good overhaul and spend all week cleaning it[emoji24] Seriously you are a lucky guy. Me, I would head to North Wales or north coast Cornwall, Devon. Wish I had your problem. Whatever you decide enjoy.[emoji106]

Isle of Skye/Harris/etc is an obvious. Cornwall. Jurassic Coast. Pembrokshire/Brecons/waterfall area.

Probably too much choice in all honesty...... ;)

Every week is a free week - the joy of being retired. I tend to stay in Lincolnshire. There is so much to photograph here - coast, wolds, Lincoln Cliff, Trent valley, woods, nestling villages, ... My problem is I am not going to live long enough to do it justice.

If shooting seascapes I'd go to Northumberland, just gorgeous. Jason's suggestion of mixing it with North Yorkshire is a good one.

For seascapes, I'd recommend the south west of Ireland. It's a bit of a trek and further afield than the other options, but the coast around the Dingle Peninsula is spectacular and well worth it in my opinion. If you're not familiar with the area, here's an example / shameless plug...
[/url
]

Last edited:
I like North Devon/Cornwall.

You might consider getting down to Bridgewater and turning right, working your way around the coast to Porlock, Lynton and Lynmouth then on to Ilfracombe, if your fit hop on the boat to Lundy Island for a day trip, From there you can either head down to North Cornwall or cross over to the Jurassic Coast or Dartmoor You might consider staying on Exmoor which is a Dark Park and offers some great landscapes if you get bored with seascapes. May is my favourite time of year in the South West, if you avoid the bank holidays you normally get decent weather without fighting the tourists. However if your campervan is very big you might find the steep hills, sharp bends and narrow lanes more of a chore than a pleasure.

Thanks for all the replies, lots to think about!

One of the main points I've picked up from this is time of year and direction of light, that will really affect the decision.

To be honest, I'm torn about going to destinations that we've not been too before and wether to keep them for family trips or not, but then photography is not so easy with a toddler in tow! Perhaps I should make this a yearly thing?

The Northumberland idea is sticking in my mind most at the moment, less travel time & more photo time plus lighting direction. What I'd really like to get is some more shots similar to the image below as well as the usual stuff. That could influence the location too depending on quantity of things to shoot.

Damn, this ain't an easy decision! (Brittany sounds lovely too!)

IMG_0495.jpg

Back