Where's all the Apple speed?

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
I just bought a 3 year old macbook pro.
It is about 12% slower than my 6/7 year old windows Ryzen 5 notebook processing the same things on Affinity Photo 2

I just bought a 3 year old macbook pro.
It is about 12% slower than my 6/7 year old windows Ryzen 5 notebook processing the same things on Affinity Photo 2

It will have the same effective performance as a windows machine of the same spec. There never really was 'Apple speed ' on intel hardware.

Mac mini on m1 or m2 chip is the answer

Genuinely, M1 made a huge different to the speed. I'm still on a 2020 M1 MacBook pro but it blows my old 16 i9 64gb out of the water - seriously. I'm going to hold on to mine for 5 years and then will see what the game is for an upgrade. My only reason for upgrade would be for more SSD right now. Speed is perfect.

Plus I'd miss the touchbar on the newer ones. I may be only one who actually very much likes it!

Just installed Affinity Photo on the new mac, it has an M3 processor, and it is about 4 times as fast as the old mac book pro or my Ryzen 5 windoze.

A huge difference!

I'm just happy that my 2011 MacBook Air and 2012 MacBook Pro are still doing useful work. Very cheap computing after more than a decade! :)

MacBook Air with Sony HX90 Ixus 70 IMG_4373.JPG

Even as a hardened PC fan, Apple did knock it out the park with the M series chips.

I'm just happy that my 2011 MacBook Air and 2012 MacBook Pro are still doing useful work. Very cheap computing after more than a decade! :)

View attachment 410354

Can you still get spare keys to wind it up?

I always wondered with apples around that time, why you paid so much but you didn't get a M and a W key. You got two the same with one upside down :)

I still have a machine from Novatech in 2003 running XP (it came with ME) for my CNC router, some old machines don't die :)

Plus I'd miss the touchbar on the newer ones. I may be only one who actually very much likes it!

I wanted to very much like mine, but I ended up using it in clamshell mode with an external monitor, keyboard, and touchpad. The only time I used the touchbar was on holiday, when I forgot it was there until I needed a function key.

My trusty old Thinkpad from that era (2013) is whizzing along nicely, especially with its SSD replacement for the original HDD.

some old machines don't die :)
True enough.

My MacBook Core 2 from 2006 and Dell Inspiron 1750 from 2010 both work well - though the batteries bit the dust long ago...

MacBook Core-2 15 inch and Dell Inspiron 1850 TZ7 0P1040053.jpg

I also have an operational Sony PC1 (the "Picturebook") from 1999, which will boot up happily on mains power though I can't think of anything to use it for at the moment (and the whining fan plumbs new depths in irritation)

Sony Vaio Picturebook miniature laptop S10 DSCN0787.JPG

Last edited:

View attachment 410354
We still have a 2014 MBP which is used as a general home computer. Mrs wanted a Windows machine which I bought her, and she went back to the old Mac.... I run a 2022 iMac for my general computing and photography stuff. The Win10 laptop and a Raspberry Pi get used for my amateur radio hobby.

Back