Wheres the best place to sell a camera ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I'm thinking of selling my very little used Sony A6000, I just don't enjoy using it and it is a little too expensive to take with me on a lot of my other activities due to the possibility of it getting damaged. Where do you think is the best place to sell it to recover some of my losses ?

Thanks all

Hello all,

I'm thinking of selling my very little used Sony A6000, I just don't enjoy using it and it is a little too expensive to take with me on a lot of my other activities due to the possibility of it getting damaged. Where do you think is the best place to sell it to recover some of my losses ?

Thanks all

You could try a site called " Talk Photography " :cool:

Depends on how much effort you are prepared to put in and how much hassle you are prepared to put up with.
Like Phil says MPB will be easy, they will collect it and pay a reasonable price, you could put it on here with a bit of effort and be reasonably sure of a safe deal or you could use Ebay/ Gumtree with the attendant risks and hassle.
Your call

You have enough posts to sell it here (Not that I would ever buy a Sony - but someone might :) )

MPB/WEX will be relatively quick and painless - but you'll get a fair bit less.

Ebay/Gumtree/FB - can be good - but lots of scammers so you need to keep your wits about you.

Everywhere: the more places the better

I often cross post to here, gumtree, Facebook, eBay, and I get an mbp quote. Recently I’ve noticed that buying and selling on here seems to have slowed down, that or no one wants what I’m selling, Facebook seems better than gumtree, eBay is good but I prefer to deal fave to face, and then mpb quotes are usually good, almost too good, like I predict that I’ll send it in and they’ll offer me less money in the hope I can’t be bothered taking it back

I've had two experiences selling cameras/lenses to MPB, the prices offered were a fair bit higher than wex. Had no issue with grading. I perhaps could have got a bit more on ebay but then there are ebay fees and sorting out postage to take into account too.

I've sold a couple of lenses to MPB during the last two years and was happy with the transaction each time - a fair price offered (considering they've got to add VAT and a guarantee to their selling price and earn a living) and no quibbling.

Last week Wex offered 20% more than MPB for my battery pack. That was for a credit against future purchases. MPB was cash.

I bought an absolutely mint A6000 from Wex a few weeks ago for £264, I've no idea what their margin is but be prepared to be offered quite a low figure from either Wex or MPB than you would get on a forum like this.
If you want to maximise your cash then selling on a forum is better but be prepared for a great deal of faffing about although of course you may get lucky and find an immediate buyer.

Tbh; you can do worse than Ebay, ime. Have a look at what other similar items are going for, set a reserve for the minimum you'll be happy to take for it, and even after fees, you'll still probably be better off than selling to MPB or Wex etc. The few times I've speculatively looked into MPB's offers for gear, I've been quite frankly insulted.

a fair price offered (considering they've got to add VAT and a guarantee to their selling price and earn a living)

I get that, but when what they are offering is 1/2 what they'll then sell it for, I'll look elsewhere thanks. The few bits I've sold on Ebay, I've got at least a 3rd more than MPB were offering, and I don't think I got as much as I could have done had the auction run a little better for me. I think it works better if you trade stuff rather than take cash, with MPB. Dunno. I wouldn't bother.

I've sold twice to MPB
First time they ( must have made a mistake) paid me £450 for a lens I would have happily sold at £300 ( their initial quote) but when the money arrived in the bank well.
It seems its happened to a couple of other people also.

Secondly, I was quoted £220 for a lens that I would have advertised here at £250, but with the bargain hunters trying to knock that down,
and the P&P, on balance I was happy for them to collect and pay into my bank the day I agreed to the sale.

Last edited:
After 50 years of buying and selling cameras (including a year in a busy camera shop) I've found the following...
  • Camera owners always have an inflated idea of what their stuff is worth.
  • Shop staff will always try to pay the maximum for stuff that can be sold quickly but the minimum for stuff that will take longer.
  • When selling to shops there will be a wide variation in offers because different shops have different customers.
  • Most buyers on Ebay used to be nice honest people but that appears to have changed over the last 5 years.
  • Selling to buyers via Ebay and similar exposes you to the troublemakers who are just waiting to steal your goods.
  • Many know "caveat emptor" but very few seem to have come across "cave venditor".
  • Above all: the world does not have to take your opinion as valid!

Last edited:
I've always used eBay; heard lots of horror stories but I have never had any problems and have used it a lot - just use the 'feedack' rating as a 'judge' and cancel bids if you are not happy.

Sold several items on here, ebay and camera shops over the years. Currently I prefer ebay as I still think if you have an item in good condition the auction will probably bring you the best price. Selling on here is fine as long as you don't mind getting lower offers and of course there are no additional charges.
As for buying I would now always look at e-infinity and HDEW first as often their new items match the prices of secondhand gear elsewhere.

And another vote for e.bay From me Yes you will always get chancers but with a 1600 + feedback. And probably twice as many actual sales it’s a no brainer decent photos ,a honest description ,promt postage also helps . Think over the years I have had 3 problems cases two I won the third was for 50p so I couldn’t be assed

Another vote for eBay (but wait for the £1 selling fee weekends!)

Here of course is another option but also don’t be afraid of Facebook. Done properly it can be a good resource. Just do your due diligence beforehand.

Avoid MPB like the plague- why not use the TP classified ?

More chance of getting a decent price on here

Les :)

I've never purchased anything from MPB, but I've sold a few lenses to them over the last year or so, and had no issues whatsoever.
I graded all my lenses as new, received instant quotes, and on each occasion received the agreed value within 2-3 days of them collecting my lenses.

I could have possibly have received a higher price selling on Ebay, on here etc, but it would have been more hassle.
Most people want the highest price when they are selling, but also want the lowest price when they are buying.

You decide how much you'd be happy to accept for your camera, get a quote from MPB or WEX (takes minutes from MPB) then decide...

Last edited:
I'd complete the dealers online quotation forms and then make up your mind.
Saves all the hassle you'll experience elsewhere.

After 50 years of buying and selling cameras (including a year in a busy camera shop) I've found the following...
  • Camera owners always have an inflated idea of what their stuff is worth.
  • Shop staff will always try to pay the maximum for stuff that can be sold quickly but the minimum for stuff that will take longer.
  • When selling to shops there will be a wide variation in offers because different shops have different customers.
  • Most buyers on Ebay used to be nice honest people but that appears to have changed over the last 5 years.
  • Selling to buyers via Ebay and similar exposes you to the troublemakers who are just waiting to steal your goods.
  • Many know "caveat emptor" but very few seem to have come across "cave venditor".
  • Above all: the world does not have to take your opinion as valid!

What I found on a forum I frequent is you get people who regularly query prices in a particularly aggressive manner, yet object when inflated prices for their gear is queried, saying 'it's what it owes me.'

On here and the other forum my Pentax DA*60-250 wasn't moving, price dropped from £525 to £425, and getting offers for £375; when my lens seemed to be the only used model available anywhere in the UK, and new stock was >£1000. Got £450 trade-in. Retailer had it on the shelf for £550, sold within 2 weeks - hope it's to the person who offered me £375.

Good luck with the sale.

I got an email a couple days ago advising me that there is a £1 FVF offer on Ebay; I suppose could be worth a go there first, perhaps as a buy it now?

I suppose could be worth a go there first, perhaps as a buy it now?

Just watch the BIN rollover, because once it goes past the 30 days and gets 'helpfully' relisted, the £1FVF is no longer current.

I'd always try on here first. I've sold a lens on here.
I've also just sold a £900 lens on eBay, always gets me a little nervous but follow the seller protection rules, record serial numbers of cameras or lenses and always send Royal Mail Special Delivery. This time I was relieved the buyer messaged me to say he was extremely happy with the lens. :)

Most buyers on Ebay used to be nice honest people but that appears to have changed over the last 5 years.

I've been hearing/reading this since almost before Ebay started! :LOL: I think the reality is that Ebay has always had shysters, but most folk buy and sell stuff fine, and Ebay has actually got tougher with shysters over the years. In all my Ebay dealings, over 15 years or so, I've had maybe 3 or 4 bad experiences out of countless transactions. Most recent was a shyster who sold me a faulty Canon lens, but neglected to be honest about it. Hey ho. Sorted the issue out, mostly, and I've chalked it off as experience. The most annoying thing about that one, was that he seemed to have managed to delete my negative feedback of him. Which I didn't think you could do. But people like that are fortunately a rarity. Bought the odd bit of really cheap tat from China that wasn't worth the cost and hassle of returning/opening a case. But countless positive transactions, so overall, Ebay is about 95% good imo.

I was interested in BUYING something from MPB, but when I enquired about the number of shutter activations the item had, I received a waffling excuse about how difficult it was to measure the shutter count of an item.
This would seem to me to be a basic piece of information, and one that is provided by several other used equipment vendors.
When I traded in an EOS 6D body to Camera World, the first thing they did was plug it in to their computer and read off the number of activations.

I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to contribute re MPB. I recently bought a Nikon D5 and D6, 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8, but I've decided to go mirrorless, largely due to MPB's equipment (D5, 70-200) and Wex's camera (D6) both being faulty and costing a small fortune to repair independently.

The gear was in excellent condition with low actuation counts for both cameras; MPB offered me over £1000 less per item than they're currently worth, so I'd be losing over £4k to sell to them. Be aware that MPB's quotes do not appear to be realistic measures of equipments' value.

Hello all,

Thanks all

You've still got this, haven't you? :D

If you go ebay, sell a couple of things first you dont care about and turn on offers - theyll soon send you a 80% off final sale fees which brings ebays total take down to about 3% on camera gear else its a chunky 12% off your sale. Ive not seen £1 final value fee for aaaaaages

Ebay went downhill when all the shops started appearing. I gave up selling flies (fishing). Sold them to local anglers instead via my fathers site.

My vote is MPB or WEX. Get a quote from the two.
But there's always this forum.

If you go ebay, sell a couple of things first you dont care about and turn on offers - theyll soon send you a 80% off final sale fees which brings ebays total take down to about 3% on camera gear else its a chunky 12% off your sale. Ive not seen £1 final value fee for aaaaaages
lol, wish I had known that last week, luckily I still sold a body for £100 (inc fees) more that the WEX offer

eBay will get you the best price. But if you want to be sure, first ask for an offer from WEX and MPB and compare them with the prices of the completed auctions.

I'll go along with the fact people think there gear is worth more than it actually is.
I've got stuff I'd love to sell but I won't get my valuation for it.

A trade in or sale to a dealer will always result in a lower figure than if you sold it privately due to the dealer having to factor in their overheads, profit margin, any warranty they might offer plus not knowing how long it will be on the shelf, i.e. they might have to reduce their margin, break even or maybe even make a slight loss to shift it.

I'm presuming some of the really low ball offers from some dealers are because they're not that interested in the kit due to things like reliability / warranty returns, they've got loads in stock already, etc.

That all being said, the sale pricing of some equipment at a well known second hand dealer is a bit unrealistic. I've been keeping my eye on Nikon Z8 prices on usedlens and this dealers second hand prices are actually higher than the lowest price for a new one on camerapricebuster. And that's not a grey market seller either.....

I have just sold a load of gear to Wex and yes, I would probably have got a few bobs more selling on here or on Ebay.
However, the whole deal was Hassell free, it was collected from home and I got the agreed price and the cash will be in the bank within a day.
No haggling or come backs and running back and forth to the PO.
Basically, you pay your money and takes your choice,

I very recently sent a mint condition Fuji XT3 and two mint condition Fuji lenses to mpb. I was reasonably happy with the offer for the camera but what they offered for the lenses was a joke and I asked them to return it all. I won't be using them again.

I very recently sent a mint condition Fuji XT3 and two mint condition Fuji lenses to mpb. I was reasonably happy with the offer for the camera but what they offered for the lenses was a joke and I asked them to return it all. I won't be using them again.

That sounds more like lack of due diligence on your part, rather than any fault of theirs.

Did you check their current retail price and then reduce to 70%? And then go on to their website and use their estimated value calculator?

Back