Which Bridge?

Name
Kylee
Edit My Images
No
Hello all, I am a complete novice wishing to upgrade from a compact camera to a bridge. I am a jewellery designer and need to have a better macro shot on my designs. I would also use the bridge for general photography and pass the compact onto my 4 year old.

I have looked at several reviews but am going round in circles....up and over bridges!

Certain reviews have suggested the Fuji HS10 or Panasonic FZ38 but then they both appear to be discontinued.

So please could someone point me in the right direction...based on what is available today in the UK or France which bridge camera would you go if you were in my shoes?

Many thanks
Kylee

I'm not really much of a bridge camera person having never owned one but my son has an FZ38 and the pictures I've seen from that have been pretty good.

If I was in the market for a bridge then it'd definately be on my list.

Sorry I can't be more help :)

Hello all, I am a complete novice wishing to upgrade from a compact camera to a bridge. I am a jewellery designer and need to have a better macro shot on my designs. I would also use the bridge for general photography and pass the compact onto my 4 year old.

I have looked at several reviews but am going round in circles....up and over bridges!

Certain reviews have suggested the Fuji HS10 or Panasonic FZ38 but then they both appear to be discontinued.

So please could someone point me in the right direction...based on what is available today in the UK or France which bridge camera would you go if you were in my shoes?

Many thanks
Kylee

Prices from Amazon uk.

The Fujifilm HS20 (£280) has been around for a while now. The Panasonic FZ48 (£290) is available now. The Panasonic FZ150 (£480) should be available in a week or so. This is a replacement for the much criticised FZ100, and by the look of it much better and possibly to be the leading bridge camera quality-wise for a little while. Canon have recently announced the SX40is, but not yet announced price and availability date as far as I know.

Which bridge camera would be best for you depends on exactly what you want to (or may want later to) photograph. Also, if your "general photography" includes indoor shots e.g. of young children (i.e. moving around a lot in somewhat dim light) then a bridge may not be the best bet anyway - their sensors are the same (small) size as compact cameras and can produce disappointing results in lower light levels.

Note: I have some experience with bridge cameras, but I suspect my experience is not terribly relevant for your purposes. But just so you know, I used a Canon S3is and then a Canon SX10is, both bridge cameras, for several years, mainly for macros. I have now moved to a (more expensive) micro four thirds camera (a Panasonic G3), but will consider getting a Panasonic FZ150 to cover some areas where the G3 is weak for my purposes and would be very expensive (or not even possible) to upgrade suitably.

I think folk here may be able to give better advice, more closely tied to your particular needs, if you were able to provide a bit more information about what you intend to use your new camera for. And perhaps also if you could tell us what the shortcomings are of your compact camera that make you want to move to a bridge camera.

Another thought. Have you handled a bridge camera? Although they have the same small sensors as compact cameras, the cameras themselves are significantly larger. This might also be a factor for you.

Hello Nick, thanks for the super feedback here. You have given me a lot to think about....
My current compact is old and lacking life including the macro clarity I need for photographing close up jewellery. I work with lots of colour in clay and need to have as accurate as possible photographs for my portfolio and my website.
I have never held a bridge but then I had never held a hand drill before...I'm prepared for change.
I need a new camera and thought that a bridge would be better than a compact. Yes, it would still be used for family photos too but essentially for my work.

My view is that perhaps any bridge would be better than the current compact but I would prefer to have one that has excellent image result.

I hope this makes sense.

Kylee

Hello Nick, thanks for the super feedback here. You have given me a lot to think about....
My current compact is old and lacking life including the macro clarity I need for photographing close up jewellery. I work with lots of colour in clay and need to have as accurate as possible photographs for my portfolio and my website.
I have never held a bridge but then I had never held a hand drill before...I'm prepared for change.
I need a new camera and thought that a bridge would be better than a compact. Yes, it would still be used for family photos too but essentially for my work.

My view is that perhaps any bridge would be better than the current compact but I would prefer to have one that has excellent image result.

I hope this makes sense.

Kylee

I think there may be a trade-off between image quality and amount of zoom.

Bridge cameras have huge amounts of zoom, from 20x or so to 35x or so. In order to provide this amount of zoom, and do that with a single lens, the sensor has to be very small. This is why all bridge cameras have very small sensors.

In general, very small sensors cannot produce as high quality results as larger sensors. This may not matter too much in some cases, for example where the camera is used in good light and can use its base ISO (often ISO 100). However, poorer light needs one or both of two things - a larger aperture, to let in more light to the camera, or a higher ISO. This hits two limitations of bridge cameras: their lenses with huge zooms don't have very big apertures; and because of their small sensors they don't do too well with higher ISOs.

What type of camera is best for you may depend on how much zoom you need. If you don't need the massive zoom of a bridge camera you could get a camera with a bit bigger sensor. I'm not really familiar with these, and so other people here may be able to give you better information, but the Panasonic LX5 (£340) and the Canon S95 (£250) are compact cameras in this class which I have heard produce good quality results. Another, physically larger option, might be the Canon G12 (£370).

All these cameras let you use RAW for your images. This quite possibly would not matter to you, but as colour rendition is particularly important to you it might, as RAW is said to (I don't use it) give you easier control over setting the white balance of your images. I don't know about the Canon (or other) cameras, but the Panasonic LX5 has the same feature as the G3 that I use that lets you adjust the white balance the camera uses by altering its colour rendition on two axes, Amber/Blue and Green/Magenta. My wife is a plantswoman who is very particular in wanting plant colours to be rendered realistically. With the G3 we have altered the white balance using these two axes and she is now content with the colours. That is not a sufficient reason to choose the LX5 (or any other Panasonic camera), and other makes may have a similar facility, but it is another factor to think about in making your choice.

BTW, the G12 has an articulated screen like some of the bridge cameras, and this might be useful for you when photographing jewellery. I don't know how you intend to do this, but if you are taking shots from above then an articulated screen might make this easier.

Using a camera with a slightly larger sensor like these three may give you higher quality images, and better results in lower light levels, than a bridge camera.

The Cameras section (see menu bar at top of home page) of the dpreview web site has information about a lot of cameras. I often find a useful starting point.

Last edited:
You might find this Canon Powershot SX40 preview and Panasonic FZ48 review interesting, not just for what they say about these particular cameras but for the comparisons with other cameras. (Not as detailed as the previews and reviews at dpreview, and no mention of the Fujifilm HS20 in these unfortunately.)

And here is the same site's list of recent reviews of compact, bridge and interchangeable lens cameras.

Back