Beginner Which camera please advise

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, my old camera is the Olympus OM20 SLR so you can tell I’m old school.
I have been searching for the ideal digital camera for me. Ideally I think I want something that has at least 5fps facility, WiFi, autofocus that’s fast. Id like to use if to capture wildlife so I’m thinking a 70-300mm extra lens as well as the standard lens. I need to be able to download to my iPad Pro.
ive looked at the Nikon d3500 but I’m put off by the reviews on the download app required but I’m impressed by the battery life. then I’ve looked at the canon eos2000d which fits my needs but it has a slow FPS option , only 3 fps but low battery life.
as you can tell my price range is around the £500 mark.
both these cameras have bundle options which can include the 70-300mm lens as well as the standard lens.
im not keen to buy from a supplier outside uk having been burned once by a company professing to be in uk but latterly I found they’re in China if they exist at all.
‘also, I realise this is a lot of info to consider but I have a variety of om20 lenses Which it would be nice if I could use these with an adaptor.
anyway, any advice would be appreciated on what camera I should choose.
thank you

Oh-Kay. I'm not sure why a high fps rate is important to you for starters. used OM's with wionders that achieved about 3fps, and, well, I burned a LOT of film very quickly.. and I don't think, even in the arena of gig-photography, it got me many more 'keepers', but even so, 3fps aught be more then quick enough.
Next up, WHY, and think hard, do you want to migrate to widgetal?
Personally, twenty years ago every-one told me 'its the future'.. err.. yeah.. it probably was.. but... 20 years ago, I looked at what was on offer, and what it cost... and bought a dedicated 35mm film scanner.... it banged out pictures with more pixels than any widgetal camera I could buy for over a decade, and I still have the negs.. not a lot of clutter on my hard drive.. another thunk to come back to.. meanwhile, when I DID decide to go widgetal, about 8 years ago, and digi-slr's had come down in price and the last digi-compact had packed up and there was little on offer to replace it with, it was in for a penny, in for a mortgage reasoning.... and bears some thunk.. I totalled up how much I had spent on cameras, film AND processing in the thirty years before digital, and this 'idea; that Digital is 'Free' photography 'cos you don't have to pay for film or developing.... IS frankly a myth. I have, in the last 8 years, spent MORE on getting a widgetal SLR, and only an ';entry level' one at that and lenses to get me close, note close, not 'cover', the range of ;lenses I have for OM's, than I had in 30 years on film and processing in the thirty years before...its FAR from 'free'.. and per 'keeper'? Well, I 'wish' I had saved my money and bought more and better film! I could have bought a HECK of a lot for what the electric-picture-maker cost me!
But, yeah, it IS convenienent.
Not 'so; sure about the time saved not having to D&P.. took daughter out for photo-hunt when she was doing her GCSE with an old Zenit 35mm I backed with the EPM... and stopping at ASDA on the way home to get the prints made and grab some donuts for tea... SHE was looking at pictures from the halide camera before I was from the EPM...
Like I said, think hard on 'why' you think you need go digital.
Legacy-Lenses
Its a nice idea, I'll admit, to use your old film camera lenses, but... first up, is the crop-factor. My EPM has a 1.5 crop-factor. that gives a 50mm lens from my film camera the effective framing of a 75mm mild telephoto on the EPM. And I certainly thought to utilise an adaptor to be able to use, in my case the M42 pimes from my 'other' film camera on the EPM. The ecperiment was interesting, but ultimately rather futile, and one of the reasons that ultimately lead to the lenses for the EPM, costing me more than I had even spent on Film.. back to that 'Crop-factor'
On the 35mm film camera, a 50mm lens gives the 'normal' angle of view. On the EPM, thanks to that 1.5x crop factor, its the equivalent of a 75mm telephoto. Which if you are in to tele's is a bit of a boon, but, a bit trickier on wides. They dont go no wider, and the 29mm 'wide' for my M42 film camera became a 'normal' on digital. The fish wouldn't even fit, thanks to the rear element protrusion, so, took £1000+ and two new electric lenses to get the 'wide; side I had before digital.
There IS usually a pretty noticeable IQ boost to be seen with a legacy lens.. mainly because you are only taking a picture from the 'sweet spot' or centre portion of the lens, but.... you do rather loose the 'convenience' of the EPM, having to manually focus, like you did on the film camera its native to, and in my case also loosing the 'meter coupling' and having to meter through another EPM lens or use hand held meter.. hang on. I thought that widgetal was supposed to be LESS faff. not more!
Conclusion WAS that the 'legacy' lenses were most use on the legacy, 'film' camera they were designed for than trying to mix and match... and I ended up dusting off the old OM and playing with that as intended...
Which brings me back around... EHY widgetal?
What you got is alredy a pretty good camera, no £ reqquired... go get a roll of film from £-Land, go play, Get it D&P'd and opt for the +scan option when you do.... see how you go.
Use your ON lenses on the camera they were designed for, no adaptor required.. no new camera required!
Other-wise, start afresh, and think what your real needs are, and but a new camera to meet them... and IS a movie camera frame rate REALLY so essential in that?
Add on ed:-
Oh yeah, battery life.Again how important 'really'? Many years ago, I popped in to the camera shop in the high street (when they still had either!) and spotty teenager started to try selling me the benefits of an EPM. "So, what do I do when I am half way up a mountain and the battery goes flat?" I asked. On the M42 screw film camera, not really an issue; selenium cell, (Battery free) light meter, f16-suny meter by eye, and all clock-work 'manual' setting. Even the OM4 has is battery free at 1/60th...just as well given how quick 'air' batteries 'dont' last in it, but still.... his answer was, "Well, you can charge it from a USB in the cigarette lighter of your Car".. and looked aghast when I said, "But I ride a motorbike" which elicited the response "What don't they HAVE cigarette lighters?" which begs an emoticon and a rebuke "I'M NOT THAT BLUDI OLD!!!!" However, solution when EPM came along, was a couple of spare battery packs. They aren't expensive, and they do last a good while anyway; especially if you turn the ruddy back-screen 'off' and don't spend all day focus hunting. And a couple of Batt-packs for my EPM, slip in my jeans pocket, which a spare lens, does not. If you really want though,m you can get accessory grips that take a couple of batteries effectively doubling battery life, b-u-t unless you really want the extra bullk of the grip. this is NOT really something to base or discount purchase on... like the fps rate..

Last edited:
Hi I had the same problem when I was looking the other week, didn't know where to turn, I would a link on another forum to Canon Live chat service under Canon Live and was able to talk to an expert from Canon. they really helped me with all the awkward techie questions and help me chose my next camera, will defiantly recommend the service.

Don't know about adapting lenses but have a look at Olympus something like an OM10 with lens should be in your price range

Back