Beginner Which camera to buy?

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

Which camera do you recommend for a beginner? So far I have been using a digital Lumix camera to take pictures outdoors and during my travels. I want to switch to a reflex camera for many reasons, but the number of brands, models and varieties is simply overwhelming. I want to be able to reach a Quality high enough to be able to frame my pictures (small frames!!). My Budget is 400 to 550EUR.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Hello Quentinacht and welcome to TP

A few questions. What camera do you have now? Is there something that disappoints you about the photos you get from your camera? You said you want to switch to a reflex camera (I'm guessing you mean a DSLR) for many reasons; what reasons?

I can understand you being overwhelmed by number of choices.

If the prints you want to make are going to be small then there are a lot of capable cameras.

If you have some shots from your current camera, post them up here and say what you would want to do better.

I'm sure there will be lots of others along with other ideas.

Dave

In addition to the questions above, What do you want take photos of mainly, landscapes, cityscapes etc, do you require a long zoom, or more interested in wide angle, do you take images at night, or in challenging conditions. Sometimes a DSLR may not be the answer, but there are other options

Last edited:
Camera quality to attain frameable pictures of modest size is easy to attain, and may depend more on your assessments of photographic light and how you take charge of the camera settings than anything else. The one thing it's NOT about for most purposes is megapixels. Many people use a phone successfully. Why do you think you need a reflex (dslr)?

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thank your for your postings, I currently have a 2 years old Lumix Panasonic DMC-TZ18 camera 16x. I do mostly landscape or urban Pictures as you can see below. I can manage on a digital camera, but the problems I have experienced are the following:

- lack of Pixels/details
-unrealistic lights/Colors
-limited night Picture Options

I am hoping to find a DSLR or even a Bridge camera that migth be better suited to my type of photography, any ideas ?

Thanks!!!

You could look at the canon EOS M, Argos are selling it off with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens for £199. It does have its quirks (autofocus system), but with the 22mm pancake lens and/or EF adapter attached, these could be good additions that still fall within your budget. The fuji range of cameras have been getting rave reviews, and if you look at the refurbished area on the fuji website, they've usually got some good deals. The sony RX100 another option. Check out the threads for each in the equipment section.

You need to start with a price range. Like you said it can be overwhelming so a price range will cut the list down to a workable size.

:canon:

The OP has a maximum budget of £400

Back