Which Camera?

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to upgrade to a full frame camera, from Canon 7D Mk2 but I'm honestly not sure which of the following to get I enjoy Wildlife, Landscape and Macro photography, looking for some honest views of which one to get, nearest Camera shop to myself is over an hours drive.

Few Lenses I use, Canon 70-200 F2.8, Sigma 150 - 500, Canon 17 - 40m,

Canon EOS 5DS

Canon EOS 5DS R

Canon EOS Mk5 IV

I'd go for the 5DS and save a few hundred quid. I doubt you'll see much difference unless you make huge prints, even then you'd have to look closely. If you need high iso go for the 5d4 though, miles better in low light.

If you want the higher shutter speed the mark 4 is the better option. It also has better dynamic range than the other 2 but the price is resolution. All 3 are fantastic cameras, it just depends on your priorities over usability vs resolution.

Thanks for the replies, all three good Cameras narrowed down to two of them, think I will see if anything comes up on black Friday to make the final choice.

Make sure you get your hands on them... not sure 5DS would work well for wildlife unless it was pretty static.

If I were doing just landscape or studio work and high resolution images were crucial to me then I'd consider the 5 DS or DS R. If I wanted an 'all rounder' including good low light/high ISO performance and auto focus and/or tracking of faster moving wildlife including birds in flight then I'd go for the 5D iv. If you are still unsure then perhaps have a look at some landscape results from the 5D iv and the 5D S/R and see if you can notice an appreciable difference between them?

Also, can your current computer and hard drive cope with the large file sizes these cameras produce? Will you need a computer upgrade and, if so, have you budgeted for that too? Plus the replacement of your 17-40 L lens, as, unless you have an incredibly sharp example of that lens, I think you'll most likely need to upgrade to the 16-35 L if you want to get the best from your new camera (almost certainly at wider apertures).

On the other hand, you could keep your 7D II (and crop sensor reach) for wildlife and buy a used 6D Mk1 full frame camera in Excellent condition with a shutter count of around 6,000 for less than £600 with 6 months guarantee from MPB at the moment. You can then see how mirrorless camera technology and the post-Brexit UK economy situation pans out over the next 18 months or so? Just a thought... as the original 6D currently seems to offer a lot of camera for the money.

Hi Spavo.
I took the same upgrade path that you're contemplating.
I tend to photograph wildlife (mainly birds) & I loved my 7d mk2 for that purpose. However, noise levels were irritating to me even tho there had been improvements from the original 7d. I'm now using a 5d mk iv & love it. Noise levels are considerably improved (cos of full frame???). Shot herewith was taken with the 5d mk iv. hand held. I had the benefit of anchoring myself & camera against a sturdy post. I do miss the extra reach my old 7d mk 2 had tho.0P9A4607.jpg

Reactions: LJR
Back