Beginner Which Canon Prime for Street Photography?

JJ!

Edit My Images
No
So if I was to pair the 100D with one prime lens for some casual London Street photography to work in most lighting conditions.... which one would be best?

24mm f2.8 STM
40mm f2.8 STM
50mm f1.8 STM

Trying to keep the camera as compact and light as possible.

Opinions?

Last edited:
The masters of street photography have tended to use a 28mm, 35mm or 50mm. Standing on their shoulders is as good a place as any to start. So I would the suggest the 28mm you mention which is around a 45mm equivalent (assuming that camera has an APS-C sensor).

Edit - its 24mm, not 28mm.

The 50mm is definatly too long (this is on a crop).

So choosing between the other 2 is difficult. I guess its easier to walk closer or crop a shot than get further away!

the 50mm is f1.8 those extra stops may be just the ticket for low light street photography

I use a 50mm f1.4 quite a lot - cracking little lens

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
You might consider the 35mm F/2. Other than that, if you're bound to the three lens choices you have here, then I'd probably go 24mm f/2.8. That 50mm would just be a pain on crop for casual street photography.

The reason I wanted one of the pancakes is that this is my travel light set up which is paired with the 100D. The 24 and 40 are most certainly the slimmer of the 3. I guess its just a choice of focal length to go for.

with your choice of given lenses I would go with the 24mm. You can shoot people with out directly pointing in their face as you can keep them off to one side of the frame and still get a sense of the street.

I'd go with the 24mm too, the 50mm is more a portrait lens on a crop sensor. My personal choice is the 35mm but it's not on your list.

I'm going to play devil's avocate. Why use a prime when zooms are so flexible, versatile and amazing quality? I have a 50 1.4 and I keep telling myself I should use it more, but I feel restricted. The 24-105, for example, offers so much more in the way of shot options and general creativity.

I use the 50mm 1.4. Fantastic lens. Love using it wide open, Hit rate not as good that way though but great results when it does work.
I also use my standard zoom quite a lot, although most would say it isn't good for street stuff.

I'm going to play devil's avocate. Why use a prime when zooms are so flexible, versatile and amazing quality? I have a 50 1.4 and I keep telling myself I should use it more, but I feel restricted. The 24-105, for example, offers so much more in the way of shot options and general creativity.

With a prime you learn a focal length, you can frame something before you bring the camera to your eye.

Having a wide angle lens forces you to get close producing images that pull the viewer into the scene. Also good for adding context.

I wonder how many people with a 24-105 zoom lens on the street will opt to use it at 24mm just a couple of feet from their subject. It's good if you do, just don't get comfty shooting from afar.

Last edited:
With a prime you learn a focal length, you can frame something before you bring the camera to your eye.

Having a wide angle lens forces you to get close producing images that pull the viewer into the scene. Also good for adding context.

I wonder how many people with a 24-105 zoom lens on the street will opt to use it at 24mm just a couple of feet from their subject. It's good if you do, just don't get comfty shooting from afar.

I think a zoom takes away creativity, it makes it too easy to get a correct shot which isn't always the most creative.

I'd say a prime is restricting my options! I can get in close and wide with a zoom, or get some reach to optimally fill frame. The zoom gives me choices :)

I do have a prime, 50 1.4 for my FF camera. The main two reasons I keep it are for exceptionally low light and because it's nice and light. But for street photography I much prefer my 24-105 f4 L IS :)

The quality of the 24-105 L is at least as good as the 50mm, I'd say a lot better as the 50mm 1.4 has low light focusing issues and much worse CA.

A lot of street photography is about seizing the moment and by the time I've had a creativee toddle about with the 50mm the moment has gone!

(Sorry, I keep editing and adding bits!) When I'm carrying two camera, I'll take two zooms! 24-105 and 70-200, both f4 L IS.

The bottom line is, for me, that there is no one way to take shots. The right way is the one that works for the photographer.

Last edited:
I have a 40mm and like it but I only use it as a light, walkaround, discreet option. It doesn't do anything wrong I just think using a 50mm 1.8/1.4 gives you a bit more wow factor. Having said that I haven't used the 50mm 1.8 STM just the old nifty fifty and the Sigma 50

I have a 40mm and like it but I only use it as a light, walkaround, discreet option. It doesn't do anything wrong I just think using a 50mm 1.8/1.4 gives you a bit more wow factor. Having said that I haven't used the 50mm 1.8 STM just the old nifty fifty and the Sigma 50

I use 28mm fixed, I prefer the 'wow' factor you get getting in close than using a longer lens which can leave the viewer detached from the subject and lacking context

All the latest stuff here is 28mm, this is the only focal length I will use for the foreseeable future. https://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com/

(that's full frame 28mm not cropped)

I use 28mm fixed, I prefer the 'wow' factor you get getting in close than using a longer lens which can leave the viewer detached from the subject and lacking context

All the latest stuff here is 28mm, this is the only focal length I will use for the foreseeable future. https://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com/

(that's full frame 28mm not cropped)

I know what you mean. 35mm is as wide as I've had before but im being drawn more and more to wider lenses that can make a subject pop out from the background. I really like the 50mm but most of my shots are of the kids and now they don't sit still for a second I'm swaying to a wider prime. When they didn't move it was ideal but now i'm a little to close. I'm intrigued by the sigma 24mm though and how that fairs

So if I was to pair the 100D with one prime lens for some casual London Street photography to work in most lighting conditions.... which one would be best?

24mm f2.8 STM
40mm f2.8 STM
50mm f1.8 STM

Trying to keep the camera as compact and light as possible.

Opinions?
I sometimes use a 24-70II. It helps to get you right were you need to be when the surroundings are cutting you off or you just can't get I the exact position. I prefer the zoom because I can't always get into perfect position with a prime. I have had some pretty good luck using a zoom.

The 24mm, no question. You can only capture the emotion in a scene by getting in close (in my humble opinion, that is). You will also get the all-important 'context', which is critical in most street photography. Practice like mad with that one lens and really get to know it - before long you'll be shooting much more spontaneously and will instinctively know what it can and can't do.

I teach street photography to university students and I don't let them use zooms. In fact, when we're out shooting and a student turns up with a zoom, I have a roll of gaffer tape in my bag and I tape down their lens to a short focal length. This really speeds up their working and their thinking, forcing them to get close to their subjects (it's also designed to help them become comfortable in getting close to, and shooting, strangers on the street).

Just my view, hope it helps ;-)

Back