Which compact camera.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Am selling up dslr going get a decent compact. Been leaning toward the Sony RX100 for £600.

What other suggestion pls.

I've recently bought a Canon G7X. Tried both in the shop and preferred the Canon controls and longer zoom.

Panasonic LX100. Best compact I've ever used by a long way.

I've recently bought a Canon G7X. Tried both in the shop and preferred the Canon controls and longer zoom.

What the quality like and ISO noise at 3200.

I think the LX100 is a great camera but its not particularly small (compact). Its great how you can access all the settings manually from the body.
Someone was saying, the way the LX100 uses crops on the sensor means the IQ is not much better than the Sony RX100.

The RX100 is pocketable (within reason) and produces some good images. the focus speed is OK, not as fast as a DLSR but still usable.

The Fuji X series (X30) maybe worth considering, smaller sensor than the RX100 but still produces some fair results.

Whilst not a compact, and some people will shun the idea, I had a nikon V1 a while back. It was a great little CSC camera, very portable with super fast focus and reasonable IQ.

I do, however, like the interface. Touch screen focus, click wheel around lens with ability to choose which function that has and touch screen options in general. I also like shooting in manual with auto ISO although I presume the Sony Mk3 also does that.

Need go and test these out I reckon

Last edited:
Any images samples from you guys pls

Lx100 sounds good loads good reviews

torn between the x30 and the lx100 :/ looked at others too but a hotshoe is a dealbreaker so that's the RX100 off the list.

does the better EVF of the fuji outweigh the bigger sensor of the Panny? decisions. Theres also the price....is the LX100 worth £200 pound more than the x30?

If you shop around you can still find the original Sony RX100 brand new for about £250, you simply cannot buy better for the money, the IQ is superb.

I am with this or any Of the OMD

I went with the Canon G7X as I really like the touch screen for various things, including focusing.

Am selling up dslr going get a decent compact. Been leaning toward the Sony RX100 for £600.

What other suggestion pls.

Does it have to be a compact? What about compact camera systems, some great ones out there? I've always found the AF system on compacts not quite up to scratch when testing but I got the Sony A6000 recently (only £550 with kit lens) which has an awesome AF system and goes into a pocket easily with the 16-50mm OSS kit lens. The APS-C sensor handles low light very nicely, here's ISO 3200:

View attachment 31295

Last edited:
theres a sigma dp2 in classifides

admittidly canon will finally surpass it in june, but at 10x the price

so that and another camera really

Does it have to be a compact? What about compact camera systems, some great ones out there? I've always found the AF system on compacts not quite up to scratch when testing but I got the Sony A6000 recently (only £550 with kit lens) which has an awesome AF system and goes into a pocket easily with the 16-50mm OSS kit lens. The APS-C sensor handles low light very nicely, here's ISO 3200:

View attachment 31295

Those are some seriously big pockets!

**copied from another reply I made on a similar post to save my fingers**

I've been pondering the same of late. My landscape photography is taking me further and further from sea level and I have started to really enjoy hiking. The problem is, once you start getting into hiking up high you need to start carrying a lot of safety equipment, waterproofs, spare clothes, food and drink, ice axes, poles, maps, torches, the list goes on, so my lowepro backpack has had to make way for a decent rucksack which means my 5D3 and 16-35 F4 IS L lens is packed up safely in the bottom of it.

Suddenly, taking an image that isn't a deal breaker is now a ballache of unpacking and messing around to get it all out and of course my non photographer hiking buddies get a bit frustrated.... Because of this I have found myself coming home with less and less images and making a conscious decision to ignore shots I would ordinarily have taken the time to try and make the best of.

I also like to make trip reports on a hiking forum I use and again, I have no "bread and butter" images for this as I can't be bothered stripping the rucksack out just to take a picture illustrating "we parked here" or "lunchtime"

So I've been scouring reviews for a month or so looking for a pocket sized camera that can still produce decent results... I still take my SLR but want to be able to leave it packed away until a serious opportunity arises. I think I have found my solution. The Canon G7X. I've been out at weekend and taken a few test shots side by side with my 5D3 and I am more than shocked at its capabilities. If anyone's interested, I will pop them up.

I decided to make a topic based on my recent experiences looking for a compact.

Here.

Back