Which compact?

Name
charlie
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm downgrading from an SLR :crying:

Which compact will take a good quality image? I need to just point and shoot.

Not fussed about zoom, features like video or how many mega pixels.

A wider angle than 28mm, and reasonable photos in low light would be handy, but not essential.

The G12 and panasonic LX5 look popular, but I don't understand all the model numbers from all the other cameras. I could put up with the size of the larger cameras like the panasonic FZ100 if they produce a better image?

Any input appreciated.
Charlie.

As you don't need zoom, Ricoh GRD III (or IV if you are feeling flush and can wait a bit) has a lot going for it. Great lens (but only 28mm), decent IQ, terrific handling - very configurable. Tough too. Carmarthen Camera Centre have them for £280 at the mo via Amazon.

LX3 works for me, and I like the look of it. Good image and video, small zoom, fast lens, 24mm wide.

Hi Charlie,

Its not got a lot on it at the moment but this thread may help

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=355174

I've just got the Samsung EX1 and so far I'm very happy with it. Depends on your budget really.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the replies.

Good thread, thanks, the camera looks good. I would be happy with that, but can spend a bit more. Budget £400+

Paulcamcas- thanks, they look cool. I guess not worrying about a zoom they have concentrated on image quality. Only thing is if possible something wider than 28mm would be handy...

Thanks, Charlie.

LX3 works for me, and I like the look of it. Good image and video, small zoom, fast lens, 24mm wide.

I was using a LX5 that belongs to a friend the other day, thought it was good.

JSER because my SLR is too big to be practical for my everyday use, I need a wider angle lens but can't afford one, but most importantly I have to take my time and 'set up' which means I miss some shots- I am making a portfolio of work and just need to point and shoot.
I will start collecting SLR stuff again when funds allow.

Thanks, Charlie.

JSER because my SLR is too big to be practical for my everyday use, I need a wider angle lens but can't afford one, but most importantly I have to take my time and 'set up' which means I miss some shots...

Thanks, Charlie.

An SLR can still be used as a "point and shoot" by selecting "P" mode which I guess is essentially how I use my SLR. A thing I like about an SLR is the way I'm less likely to miss a shot like I would with some crappy "superoom" compact where there is a delay between pressing the shutter and the shot actually being taken. I would only ever consider a compact if it had a prime lens which pretty much limits choice to the Ricoh GRD series (III or IV). I find that 28mm (or FX equivalent) is about as wide as you can go without getting quite a bit of distortion at the edges of the frame.

Paulcamcas- thanks, they look cool. I guess not worrying about a zoom they have concentrated on image quality. Only thing is if possible something wider than 28mm would be handy...

There's always the Ricoh "Wide conversion Lens GW-2". Effective 21mm. I can't vouch for the IQ and it is too wide for my taste. Search flickr for "GRD III+GW-2" and you'll find plenty of example shots.

I hope it is not against the rules to mention another forum but there is a very helpful and friendly forum for Ricoh camera users with loads of good info: clicky

Last edited:
I suspect you would be able to get one of the micro four thirds cameras for your budget with a nice wide angle lens.

Andy

Canon G12, ability to shoot RAW... I would say.

The G12 and panasonic LX5 look popular, but I don't understand all the model numbers from all the other cameras. I could put up with the size of the larger cameras like the panasonic FZ100 if they produce a better image?.

If you want something really small then what about waiting for the new Canon S1000? true compact size, a zoom with a 24-120mm range and the same size sensor as other bridge/compacts like the G12, probabley with a bit better image quality than the latter.

Have you considered getting a mirrorless interchangeble lens camera? if you don't want zoom range then a 24mm equivilent prime would give you a very small camera. The Sony NEX has a sensor the same size(actually a bit larger) than your SLR, it can be a bit unbalanced with zooms but with the 16mm(24mm) prime its actually smaller than the likes of the G12 at around the same price.

Last edited:
An SLR can still be used as a "point and shoot" by selecting "P" mode which I guess is essentially how I use my SLR. A thing I like about an SLR is the way I'm less likely to miss a shot like I would with some crappy "superoom" compact where there is a delay between pressing the shutter and the shot actually being taken. I would only ever consider a compact if it had a prime lens which pretty much limits choice to the Ricoh GRD series (III or IV). I find that 28mm (or FX equivalent) is about as wide as you can go without getting quite a bit of distortion at the edges of the frame.

I know what you mean, this is what I do now, but i still have to change lens, make sure it's on autofocus, try and get as much of the subject in focus.... Then the flash decides to come on and makes it worse (outdoors).
The instant shot of an SLR is great, but I'm taking photos of still things so it makes no difference.
If money was no object I probably would just buy some more lenses....

Paulcamcas- thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Andysnap- they really don't appeal to me for some reason, I don't know why! I'll start buying a proper SLR again when funds allow it.

Hannes- they do seem popular.

Moreorless- do you mean s100? I can't find an s1000? They look good, and you reackon as good an image as a g12?
I guess I could get one of those lens change cameras with a prime, it just feels like I'd be buying a rubbish version of what I have now, rather than a decent point and shoot I can keep as a backup in the future...

Thanks for all the advise.
Charlie.

Moreorless- do you mean s100? I can't find an s1000? They look good, and you reackon as good an image as a g12?
I guess I could get one of those lens change cameras with a prime, it just feels like I'd be buying a rubbish version of what I have now, rather than a decent point and shoot I can keep as a backup in the future..

Yeah sorry the S100, the S series has the same sensor(larger than typical compacts) as the G series but the S100 is a generation up from the G12 so I'd guess the image quality will be superior. The reason for the size difference between them is that the G12 has a tougher build with more manual controls and a small viewfinder where the the S100 is more like a basic compact besides the sensor.

The panasonic FZ100 actually has a smaller sensor than the G12/S100/S95/D7000 because a smaller sensor needs a smaller lens so an ultrazoom can be kept to a more compact size.

The only fixed lens zoom compact with a larger sensor than the S100/G12/Etc is I believe the new Fuji X10, about 30% larger.

Last edited:
I really didn't fancy a Compact System Camera having been disappointed with the PEN EP-1, and was set to get a G11/G12. Then the Panny GF2 with 14mm lens came up at Currys/PCW etc for £300 and I decided to give it a go. Not regretting it one little bit so far!

Andysnap- they really don't appeal to me for some reason, I don't know why! I'll start buying a proper SLR again when funds allow it.

I know what you mean, they dont float my boat either. Have you looked at the Olympus XZ-1? Another that was on my list but it was a bit expensive.

Andy

I really like my Canon S95 but I've also heard some enthusiatic reports of the Ricoh GRD III.

=ReBeL= said:
I have Olympus XZ-1 and can recommend it. Great compact.
Same here, there are a few shots on my flickr taken with it; the motorbike shots and some of the Edinburgh scenes if you want to see the IQ.

i see above you mentioned your not keen on the micro 4/3 but have you tried the new panasonic GF3, brilliant size, brilliant camera and spot on results from the kit 14-42 lens. i saw in another thread someone disliked the face detection features etc on the compact systems, i, like many, also dislike them and they can be turned of. plus for point and shoot, the intelligent auto is superb

Moreorless said:
Yeah sorry the S100, the S series has the same sensor(larger than typical compacts) as the G series but the S100 is a generation up from the G12 so I'd guess the image quality will be superior. The reason for the size difference between them is that the G12 has a tougher build with more manual controls and a small viewfinder where the the S100 is more like a basic compact besides the sensor.

The panasonic FZ100 actually has a smaller sensor than the G12/S100/S95/D7000 because a smaller sensor needs a smaller lens so an ultrazoom can be kept to a more compact size.

The only fixed lens zoom compact with a larger sensor than the S100/G12/Etc is I believe the new Fuji X10, about 30% larger.

I'd definitely go or an S100. It's actually a brand new sensor to the G12. It is the same size (larger than a standard compact) but it's CMOS rather than CCD. They claim that it will be far better in low light than previous models. I think I read that ISO 1600 on the S100 will be as good as ISO 400 on the S95.

I'll be buying one but probably wait until the price levels out next year. I have an S90 and an LX5 at the moment and they're both great cameras but the Canon's are truly pocketable.

Back