Which Crop?

I agree. I think the lines on the flag and the figure add to accentuate the tallness of the buildings and helps the eye to follow upwards. The wider version is distracting on the left left and right and my eye gets confused.

:agree: too!

For me that is the best so far.
I would probably keep a bit more of the pole on the left to extend that converging line and for balance. I would also probably add a radial filter/exposure graduation to highlight the individual just a bit more. And move him up from the bottom edge a bit as well.

Last edited:
I was thinking of that too

Me too…
but, all considered, the benefit of the added
negative space is less than preserving the
maximum in graphic elements.

I would consider the rectangular version if it
is in a layout, for example, but as stand alone…

I still think the square crop ... the view crop, even subdued, takes the emphasis off the individual and the strong verticals of the buildings/banner.

I took the slight liberty of downloading the image and trying a simple 3:2 ratio crop of the rectangular version and found it more pleasing TO MY EYES than either the square or wider versions originally posted. Of the 2 options given though, I prefer the rectangular one for some reason.

i vote square...it still brings over the impact without straining the eyes...trying to take in information in giant steps
cheers
geof

I took the slight liberty of downloading the image and trying a simple 3:2 ratio crop of the rectangular version and found it more pleasing TO MY EYES than either the square or wider versions originally posted. Of the 2 options given though, I prefer the rectangular one for some reason.

Thanks Nod for taking the time to experiment, appreciate it!

But square it is I think. I do know square certainly looks better viewed on a phone...

So, following suggestions to the view format, here it is. And I've put the square up alongside for easy comparison. Thanks to everyone for your invaluable input.

View attachment 104567 Human Achievment square LR.jpg

I'm with sk66 - the square is too cramped, and it feels like you've squeezed the buildings in.

Thanks Toni. Maybe the square one is better for sharing on-line - and thus usually via phone. I think most people don't bother rotating their phone to orientate an image viewed on-line (but I do) so a view image perhaps is generally poorly presented. A square in that case is a good compromise. But which is the better crop aesthetically... hmmm, I'm still undecided.

hmmm, I'm still undecided.

When there is no urgency to take a decision, the only
decision urgent to take is to take no decision! :cool:

Both impressive. I prefer the square one. I've tried several ways to photograph the Patronage towers, but I can't seem to capture them well.

Back