Which film would you take to Iceland?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
Just as back up why not take along a card or two? If it all goes tits up you might be able to persuade some of the rest of us to stick your card in our gear. I'm planning on taking two bodies which I'll struggle to use at the same time.

Probably cost you a few of those expensive Icelandic beers, but that's better than coming away with nothing.

(I won't post this on the trip thread or I'll probably be made to sit on the wing!)

An incident meter will be fine provided you can meter in the same light as is falling on your subject, so you might need to adjust or bracket if you're shooting a sunlit plain from the shadows at the base of a cliff, for example. I understand what you're saying about the weather but you mustn't let that stop you - there's no guarantee that you won't get similar weather the whole time you're away so you may as well go out and see what shots you can get in difficult conditions. :)

Quick little update, I have just ordered a pack of Portra 400 to try in the Hasselblad. I still haven;t shot much since starting this thread. The weekend weather has been terrible to be honest and with the day job during the week, I am finding it hard. I have been in communication with a superb landscape photographer who uses Velvia 50, although he also used LEE ND filters and has a proper 'landscape' setup. I am not a landscape photographer by any stretch and have no real desire to be, so I think the outlay on a full kit such as that would be a waste of money for me, however I am worried about returning with regrets and wishing I had done it differently.

Part of me (and some of my friends who don't get film) tells me to just take the nikon DSLR. But I really, really want to soot the whole lot on film, for a lot of the reasons mentioned by some folk above. I have spent most evenings searching the web for images of Iceland and other locations shot on film to try and put my mind at rest that it's the way to go. At the moment, I am not convinced either way. For me, I want it to be about the journey and the things you see and people you meet along the way, as well as the photography.

Then there's the whole, 'light meter' thing. So far, I have been using an app on my phono to meter with decent results. Can you use something like a Sekonic-308s for landscapes or do you need something more advanced with a spot meter like for example the L-558. As someone coming from digital, this is the bit that;s frying my brain a little.

I'll try and shoot this pack of Portra over the next few weeks and see how I get on and will report back.

I personally wouldn't be shooting Velvia on holiday without a decent set of filters (e.g., NDs and ND grads), a handheld meter (ideally with spot metering capability, but necessarily required), and, perhaps most critically, a heap of practice beforehand.

If I wanted to shoot film and didn't have lots of experience with landscapes or film, I'd take Portra 400 and stop worrying.

Edit: Just to add, it is very difficult to exploit the individual differences between many of these films until you have a tight grasp on many of the other variables involved in film photography. You will be the biggest factor in the look of your images, not the film.

Last edited:
I agreee with RJ. Take Portra be happy. Maybe take a couple of rolls of velvia in a spare back and bracket the shot (it is a 'blad you've got) but primarily I'd be shooting portra though probably 160, you have a tripod don't you?

So was the final decision to take the digi and blad with portra 400...seems a good idea to me (y)

A very interesting thread this. I want to go to Iceland this or next year and i have feet in both digital and film camps. I also work in a photo lab and can only vaguely remember once processing any film from the aurora. It was very underexposed and the customer was understandably distraught. This was before digital was more affordable. I obviously have no idea of their skill levels or experience but don't let that be you. when/if i finally go i'll be taking 2 DSLRs and possibly a 35mm compact, but i'm watching this thread in case your results change my mind.
Of course it's not all about night shots, we have a customer from Reykjavik who sends us his 5x4 colour negs to process every couple of months. He shoots people pics.
Whatever you decide on i wish you the best light and great views.

The big reason for using graduated ND filters is the same with digital and slide film - the limited subject brightness range available before the highlights blow and the shadows block. Negative film has far less need for this than Velvia which has a very limited range.

You don't really need a spot meter. I got by for years with a non spot light meter - and I still use it, even though I have a Sekonic spot meter as well. For me, a spot meter lets me measure the subject brightness range so that I know if I need to adjust the development - this isn't as easy if you're using colour.

Apologies for not quoting everyone to reply directly, but thanks for all the answers once again. I think I am getting a little clearer in my mind what I want to do. I am not going to try and be something I am not, and that;s a serious landscape photographer. It's just not me. I will shoot a little more relaxed whilst I am there i think and just try and make some good photos. I think I am leaning towards shooting primarily on film but having a DSLR in my case purely in case we see the Aurora.

So the plan would be, Hasselblad 500c/m with mainly Portra 400 and a few rolls of Velvia for the spare back. Leica M2 with Portra 400.

That should do me I think. I may throw a couple of rolls of B&W in there too just in case but I think that's where I have settled (for now). As I say, some Portra on the way now so will get through a few rolls in the next few weeks to see how it is for general shooting. The more peoples work I look at on film, the more I am leaning towards shooting colour and not B&W, even though it is more expensive as I cannot home develop.

I'd have b&w for the risk of dull days, actually I'd primarily have b&w since I primarily shoot in b&w but that's just me. Actually Velvia is good for dull days too.

I'd have b&w for the risk of dull days, actually I'd primarily have b&w since I primarily shoot in b&w but that's just me. Actually Velvia is good for dull days too.

I actually prefer colour for the duller days with flat light. I like B&W so much more when there are both sunlight and shadow to play with.

There's always the possibility of converting colour negs and slides to mono quite quickly while adding colour to B&W shots is rather time consuming and rarely realistic!

I see you (Gareth) are in car3 rather than 2 (mine) but on days when we're hunting as a pack, you're welcome to use my spare body should you wish to do so.

There's always the possibility of converting colour negs and slides to mono quite quickly while adding colour to B&W shots is rather time consuming and rarely realistic!

I see you (Gareth) are in car3 rather than 2 (mine) but on days when we're hunting as a pack, you're welcome to use my spare body should you wish to do so.

Thanks Nod. As I say, I will probably pack a DSLR and 35mm just for backup purposes anyway but appreciate the offer. :)

Sent my first roll of Portra 400 off for developing yesterday. I'm leaning back towards shooting mainly Velvia at the moment. It's such a lovely film from what I've seen. I'll finish this roll of Provia 400 by weekend then try and shoot some more Velvia & Portra. I think my ND Grads have arrived so will try them too!

Any films back from the lab yet, Gareth?

I'd never given it much thought but maybe "Saving Private Ryan" or "Ice Cold in Alex" :)

Any films back from the lab yet, Gareth?

Not yet. They've only had them a week though and they say 10 days usually do not expecting anything until at least next Friday. Very nervous about the results too.

I've home developed a couple of rolls of B&W though but the 35mm are very grainy (HP5).

This thread reminds me that we must get back out to Iceland. I miss those egg stink showers.

Back