Which free post processor?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Darktable or RawTherapee, or any other suggestions?

Theres lots out there, I started with GIMP.

Gimp is pretty much an early version of photoshop feature wise, yes it hasn't got qll the bells and whistles of the new versions but theres not much it can't do, thats what I'd go for if I had nothing else.

As Gimp is not a dedicated raw processor, it's a good option if you want to use just one program that does a wide range of tasks.

The raw processors, on the other hand, focus on one main thing. For global adjustments they are designed to make that task easier.

I use both Gimp and Raw Therapee. I tried out loads of raw processors and picked one that worked well with my raws. Try them all out yourself to see. See also Lightzone, DigiKam, DCRaw, Raw Studio, Photivo.

Last edited:

Post processor is a rather confusing term.

If applied to a RAW file of any kind, it is a RAW converter — meant to
pull out the best of the recorded data and to publish an image.

When applied to an image of any kind, it is a pixel editor — meant to
clean up or otherwise manipulate details or section(s) within the image.

Some apps offer pixel edition with limited conversion / develop persona.

Last edited:
I played with RawTherapee, Darktable, Lightzone and I also have LightroomCC at work. I just don't think they fit my way of working, so I'll stick to how I do things at the moment.
I currently save the images using the brand software, look over/cull them using Faststone image viewer, then send the ones I like to Affinity Photo. It's slow but it works for me.

Well slow as in not batch processing, doing one at a time.

I played with RawTherapee, Darktable, Lightzone and I also have LightroomCC at work. I just don't think they fit my way of working, so I'll stick to how I do things at the moment.
I currently save the images using the brand software, look over/cull them using Faststone image viewer, then send the ones I like to Affinity Photo. It's slow but it works for me.
I do all my workflow in DigiKam. Right from copying from the card, thumbnails and organising, "open in RawTherapee", Upload to Web/Flickr.
Even though DigiKam has its own raw and editing capability, it lets you integrate with any other programs. Pick all your favourites. I also have stacking, panorama and HDR programs integrated too.

Last edited:
Darktable is good, but tricky try to watch some videos to get the hang of using it.
Totally agree but I'm sticking with it for now. There are a few decent tutorial videos out there.

I also use Gimp for further editing. Tried Photoshop but can't get on with it.

This is a photo I took at the weekend with the old Pentax *istDL2, edited using Darktable and GIMP. Didn't take that long to do and something I struggled with in Photoshop.FB_IMG_1531837476429.jpeg

This is a photo I took at the weekend with the old Pentax *istDL2, edited using Darktable and GIMP. Didn't take that long to do and something I struggled with in Photoshop.
What did it look like before hand? Quite clever the way that only the woman is in colour.

What did it look like before hand? Quite clever the way that only the woman is in colour.
This was the original RAW edit and export out of Darktable.
IMGP2419.jpeg

And then converted to monochrome in Darktable.

Used this tutorial video to then create the image in Gimp.

View: https://youtu.be/t__II1k1NVY

The only difference was that I opened the B&W image as the foreground and added the colour images as a layer.

Last edited:
Ok, After analysing my work I decided I don't need any of these batch processing programs, after trying them all, I'm back to FastStone image viewer, deciding which image I want to process using that computer between the ears and sending that to Affinity Photo.
Affinity Photo is a pretty good raw processor.

Last edited:
Back