Which Fuji lens?

Name
Margaret
Edit My Images
Yes
I think I've convinced myself sufficiently enough to buy the Fiji XT1. I'm happy to use Panamoz as I've purchased Nikon gear from them before and was very impressed. But which lens to buy as general walkabout? I enjoy mostly Landscape with some portrait stuff. 18-55 or 18-135. Is there much difference in image quality? I'm going round and round trying to decide.

18-55 is sharper however the 18-135 has better IS from what reviews suggest. There's it much in the sharpness really but if your looking for a one lens fits all then the 18-135 is probably the better option. I guess the question is would you use anything past the 55mm mark regularly? If not then save an £100 or so and enjoy the slightly better IQ of the 18-55.

I guess the 18-55 makes more sense for me really. The reason I'm buying the Fuji is weight issue. I'm finding that when I take my camera out, I tend to only take one lens with me, usually the Tamron 28-75 on my FF Nikon as I struggle carrying the gear. Backpack with various bits, ie filters, holders and other personal bits, purse phone etc I'm soon struggling. ( age catching up) I suppose if I'm happy with the 28-75 on my full frame then I guess I will be ok with the 18-55. I can then save for a wider prime;)

I have both the XF18-55 and the XF 18-135, as well the XC 16-50. The IQ is pretty damn good for such lenses and for me not a lot between them. I tend to keep the 18-135 on my X-T2 when travelling and switch to the 18-55 when walking round towns etc. I certainly go beyond the 55mm mark often when travelling (landscapes etc)

Next for me will be an XF10-24mm (ordered today) and that will be me covered lens wise for some time to come.

Last edited:
Don't discount the XC 16-50mm Margaret, I have the later mkii version, my daughter got it as a kit lens when she bought her XT-10.

I also have the 18-55mm and can honestly say picture wise there is hardly anything between them and for landscapes the bit extra at the wide end often comes in handy

It does have a plastic mount and is a bit slower (aperture wise) but lighter and cheaper plus I prefer controlling the aperture with the rear dial, stabilisation is also very effective

Lol Everytime I think I've made up my mind I start to dither again. I need to have a quick look at the weights of both these lenses. I know the 18-135 is bigger, but do you notice the extra weight?

The 18-55mm has better rendering than the 18-135, but the 18-135 makes a lot more sense as a 1 lens package, which is why I like it.

Last edited:
Well thank you all for your kind suggestions. I will consider each and everyone carefully and will order tomorrow. Think I should sleep on it. I hate being a ditherer

The 18-135 is a great lens, very versatile

I'd be tempted with just the 18-55mm imo. I think that covers most of what you need and very similar to what you are used to. 135mm is surprisingly long on APS-C.

I have both the 18-55 and the 18-135. Barely used the 18-55 since I bought the stretched lens. In real life, you'll be hard pushed to tell the difference between images shot at the same focal length. The shorter lens is a bit faster throughout the range but it's also useless above 55mm...

Well, after a restless night pondering I finally ordered the XT1 with 18-135 lens. If I'm right this will be approx half the weight of my current most used setup. I think this will be a good start lens, I won't need anymore reach than this for what I will use it for and 18 on a crop camera will be what I'm used to on my FF. If I get on well with the Fuji setup then my next purchase would be a wider prime.

Thank all for your suggestions, it's been a great help.

Next question, any recommendations regarding finding my way round the XT1, I've simply no idea about settings etc.

Don't discount the XC 16-50mm Margaret, I have the later mkii version, my daughter got it as a kit lens when she bought her XT-10.

I also have the 18-55mm and can honestly say picture wise there is hardly anything between them and for landscapes the bit extra at the wide end often comes in handy

It does have a plastic mount and is a bit slower (aperture wise) but lighter and cheaper plus I prefer controlling the aperture with the rear dial, stabilisation is also very effective

+1

Agree fully with above. The XC lens is a great little lens. My partner and I have an X-T10 and an X-T2. We share the XC 16-50, XF 18-55 and even the 18-135 between us as needs must. And will do so with the 10-24mm when it arrives. Admittedly I tend to stick to the XF lens but have used the XC lens on occasions and I find it just as easy to use setting aperture via the rear dial (similar to the Nikon D7200 I flogged to buy the X-T2) and the OIS on all the lenses is a real bonus. You can pick up a second hand XC lens for around £100 if you careful. I tend to buy all my lens second hand and have never been let down yet. My view is that Fuji don't really make any poor lenses, indeed they are really good and if you shop wisely you can pick them up at decent prices too. Also with Fuji cameras and lenses becoming ever more popular you know that If you ever buy a lens that you don't get on with or you don't use, you will always be able to sell it on easily without burning holes in your pockets.

Last edited:
Well, after a restless night pondering I finally ordered the XT1 with 18-135 lens. If I'm right this will be approx half the weight of my current most used setup. I think this will be a good start lens, I won't need anymore reach than this for what I will use it for and 18 on a crop camera will be what I'm used to on my FF. If I get on well with the Fuji setup then my next purchase would be a wider prime.

Thank all for your suggestions, it's been a great help.

Good call, I've only just seen this but was going to point out that for landscape surely weather resistance has to be a boon.

I own one and before today was my only native lens and it's a great range for a walkabout.

Next question, any recommendations regarding finding my way round the XT1, I've simply no idea about settings etc.
Plenty of YouTube videos online regards the X-T1. Don't forget to have a few spare batteries with you if your going to shoot landscapes etc.....not to expensive for the likes of the Ex-Pro versions.

Looking forward to viewing your images!

:)

Thanks Trev most helpful. I did look at the XC 16-50 last night and it does look like a good buy, I wouldn't be bothered about the aperture being on rear dial I don't see this as a problem. I've never bought a lens or camera second hand, never seem to see them on here till it's too late! I'm never sure about eBay though I'm sure many do make some great purchases but my luck would be getting a duff one, I won't rule it out though. Once I get to grips with the Fuji system and if I like the experience, then I will look to buying a wider lens, possible look out for a good copy of the 16-50.

Thanks Trev

I totally agree, get a couple of ExPros great batteries, if you use the button on the viewfinder and switch it to eye+sensor and you'll probably never need the third, but worth having.

Plenty of YouTube videos online regards the X-T1. Don't forget to have a few spare batteries with you if your going to shoot landscapes etc.....not to expensive for the likes of the Ex-Pro versions.

Looking forward to viewing your images!

:)

I've just ordered a couple of these batteries from Amazon as I believe the battery life is a bit pants:)

I totally agree, get a couple of ExPros great batteries, if you use the button on the viewfinder and switch it to eye+sensor and you'll probably never need the third, but worth having.

What is this magic button you speak of Now you know why I need to learn about set up etc. I've no idea whatsoever how Fuji works....looking forward to the challenge though:)

It's just the view mode button that switches between the back LCD and viewfinder, but on one setting it switches both off until you lift the camera to your eye

If you don't mind a bit of faffing about you can buy a x-e1 with the kit then sell the body. You then have the 18-55 for a song.

. I've no idea whatsoever how Fuji works....looking forward to the challenge though:)

Play!!! No point in taking anyone's settings set as a basis for finding your own ideal, use the defaults and adjust to your taste. For example, I have mine set up to be able to output straight to a printer, using fine, large JPEGs and a few tweaks to MY taste, whereas others will shoot raw or using the film simulations.

How Fuji works:- switch on, aim at subject, press button until it goes click! :p Half the fun of new kit is learning how to make it do what you want the way you want it to do it.

Enjoy the X-T1.

Play!!! No point in taking anyone's settings set as a basis for finding your own ideal, use the defaults and adjust to your taste. For example, I have mine set up to be able to output straight to a printer, using fine, large JPEGs and a few tweaks to MY taste, whereas others will shoot raw or using the film simulations.

How Fuji works:- switch on, aim at subject, press button until it goes click! :p Half the fun of new kit is learning how to make it do what you want the way you want it to do it.

Enjoy the X-T1.

Thanks Nod:) Yes, I guess you're right, everyone has different preferences regarding settings etc. I'm really looking forward to trying it all out.

Straight out of the box will give reasonable results but there's room for improvement/tailoring to YOUR tastes!

Those 2 zooms will stand you in good stead, but I'd recommend looking at a 35mm equivalent (the 23mm) which is versatile enough for landscapes and portraits alike, and will have better image quality and be faster than those zooms. Some more info in this roundup I put together: http://www.shotkit.com/best-fuji-lenses/ (full disclosure - contains aff links)

Maggie;

The battery life on the XT1 really isn't too bad, maybe slightly worse than the XP1, but it's always great to have a few extra with you whilst out in the field. I think I've now accumulated 5/6 spare batteries over the years, so handy to throw in your bag knowing you've always got back up power if/when required.

I've just picked up a separate Fuji vertical battery grip for the XT1 which alone uses one Fuji battery.

Another handy asset is a quality wrist strap, I bought a leather strap by 'Footprint', in/around £16 delivered etc, handmade in the UK by a chap called Clive, there's around a dozen different colour choices and the stitching is superb quality.

Keep us up to date with your progress etc...

Regards;
Pete

image.jpg image.jpg
Those 2 zooms will stand you in good stead, but I'd recommend looking at a 35mm equivalent (the 23mm) which is versatile enough for landscapes and portraits alike, and will have better image quality and be faster than those zooms. Some more info in this roundup I put together: http://www.shotkit.com/best-fuji-lenses/ (full disclosure - contains aff links)

Maggie;

The battery life on the XT1 really isn't too bad, maybe slightly worse than the XP1, but it's always great to have a few extra with you whilst out in the field. I think I've now accumulated 5/6 spare batteries over the years, so handy to throw in your bag knowing you've always got back up power if/when required.

I've just picked up a separate Fuji vertical battery grip for the XT1 which alone uses one Fuji battery.

Another handy asset is a quality wrist strap, I bought a leather strap by 'Footprint', in/around £16 delivered etc, handmade in the UK by a chap called Clive, there's around a dozen different colour choices and the stitching is superb quality.

Keep us up to date with your progress etc...

Regards;
Pete

Thank you guys for your recommendations and advice.

Mark, I have had a quick browse on your link and your analysis of the Fuji lenses, I will read it fully later today, really useful info for someone like me who knows diddly squat about Fuji :) I will in the near future wish to buy a prime lens though so your link is very useful.

Pete, I have bought another battery, think it's an ExPro so will see how that is and if ok will purchase a couple more. I've really only got the Nikon DSLR to compare to and of course there is a big difference but as you say extras in the bag hardly make life difficult.

So far I've only took it out once for a quick play as hubby has had hospital visits etc:( I took it out on the dog walk which can be challenging at times and the DSLR I found awkward at times. Trying to manage a hyped up Husky with a camera over my shoulder and all dog walking entails especially in the poo picking dept was difficult at times :cautious: However, the XT was a lot easier thank goodness. I found I really liked using it, love the EVF. I shot in Raw + Fine jpeg to see the difference.

I have lots to learn about it as yet but think I will really enjoy learning and using. I'm not sure if you saw my first attempts, I posted them on the XT forum but here they are, your comments would be most welcome.

Margaret

I have the 16-50, 18-135 and 50-230.

The 18-135 is hardly ever off my T-10. It's an excellent lens.

Back