Which Gitzo for Wimberley

Edit My Images
Yes
I could do with getting a carbon fibre tripod for lugging around the countryside as the Benbo Trekker isn't rigid enough for the Kimberly even with only a 100-400mm and I hope sometime this year to be able to get the 400mm f/2.8 or possibly the 600mm f/4.

I would also like to be able to use it for more general landscape shots, but in isolated areas that could take quite an uphill hike to get to (been using the Benbo).

So, can anyone advise on the performance differences between the GT 5540LS and the GT3540LS? I don't want to buy the the GT3 if it won't really be able to handle the Kimberley setup, but I don't want the extra weight or expense of the GT5 if it's not necessary.

I have a GT3540LS and use a Wimberley Mk2 with the 1D MK3 and 600 F4L on it and its fine, supports up to 18KG and the rig doesnt even get to half that. The 5540LS is what Gitzo recommend for big lenses, but im not sure its needed to be honest.

I have a GT3540LS and use a Wimberley Mk2 with the 1D MK3 and 600 F4L on it and its fine, supports up to 18KG and the rig doesnt even get to half that. The 5540LS is what Gitzo recommend for big lenses, but im not sure its needed to be honest.

Ah ha! This is what I needed to hear. The price difference is considerable between the two and the weight isn't to be taken lightly (pardon the pun ;) )

If it is of any consequence Phid ... :thinking: ... Andy Rouse uses, and highly recommends, the exact same model (GT3540LS that is) for his wildlife work ... :shrug:

:p

I use the Gitzo3530LSV with the WimberleyII and Sigmonster and it is rock solid.

Is this a 3 section version? It's just that I will have it strapped to a backpack so a more compact 4 section might be better, providing it doesn't adversely affect stability.

If it is of any consequence Phid ... :thinking: ... Andy Rouse uses, and highly recommends, the exact same model (GT3540LS that is) for his wildlife work ...

I'd better see if I can find any of his reviews.

I'd better see if I can find any of his reviews.

Try here m8 ... Andy Rouse ... :D

HTH ... ;)

editsmily.gif
... Damn that Ian's too kwik ... :cautious: ... :LOL:

He also states that it's a 3 section tripod, but I'm sure that the GT3540LS is a 4 section.

Missed that one, yes it is a 4 section, its possible he has the 3530 LS !

Actually it says

The GT3540LS is a four section tripod that is supplied with a centre column, perfect for long lens work close to the ground.

The centre column comment is definitely wrong, but it is a 4 section pod.

Missed that one, yes it is a 4 section, its possible he has the 3530 LS !

Actually it says

The centre column comment is definitely wrong, but it is a 4 section pod.

The review I just read said "The GT3540LS is a three section tripod that is supplied with a centre column, perfect for long lens work close to the ground. I use it with my 500mm lens... "

It's these little inconsistencies that make me want to ask those of you out there who have one in your hand, rather than rely on someone who's being paid to promote various products.

The review I just read said "The GT3540LS is a three section tripod that is supplied with a centre column, perfect for long lens work close to the ground. I use it with my 500mm lens... "

It's these little inconsistencies that make me want to ask those of you out there who have one in your hand, rather than rely on someone who's being paid to promote various products.

The inconsistency seems to be between the actual WHE review and the WHE Forum review ... :shrug: ... the 'official' WHE Review certainly mentions it as a 4 section item ... :cautious:

HERE ... :D

hmmm, well im very happy with mine, and im not being paid to say that :)

From everything you and others have said today it looks like the GT3540LS wins hands down.

Back