Which laptop

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
What would be the minimum spec for a laptop to run lightroom 3. I would also be tethering my D300 so i would like it to display the pics fairly quickly.
many thanks. (y)

The system requirements are Here

I always try to get as much memory as possible with a laptop as well as cpu size.

Last edited:
The 4 main things to consider regarding any computer is processor size, ram size and speed and upgrade opportunities, hard drive size (bigger the better) and graphics properties (dedicated or not). As long as you get the hard ware you require it really doesn't matter what the rest of it looks like, as long as you like it.
I got a HP DV6 which has a dual core 2.6GHz processor, 4Gb ram, 512Mb dedicated graphics but only a 320Gb hard drive which lets it down a bit. If I need more space I can always buy a new hard drive (500 Gb at least) and reinstall windows. I paid about £450 for it when it was on sale down from £600 so it was a bargain and its fast enough to run everything I've thrown at it so far, including PS5, elements 8 and 9 and all the Canon software that came with the camera.

The 4 main things to consider regarding any computer is processor size, ram size and speed and upgrade opportunities, hard drive size (bigger the better) and graphics properties (dedicated or not). As long as you get the hard ware you require it really doesn't matter what the rest of it looks like, as long as you like it.
I got a HP DV6 which has a dual core 2.6GHz processor, 4Gb ram, 512Mb dedicated graphics but only a 320Gb hard drive which lets it down a bit. If I need more space I can always buy a new hard drive (500 Gb at least) and reinstall windows. I paid about £450 for it when it was on sale down from £600 so it was a bargain and its fast enough to run everything I've thrown at it so far, including PS5, elements 8 and 9 and all the Canon software that came with the camera.

Actually the Graphic card can make most of the difference when DTP or IE

Get a decent 1Gb Nvidea/Radion

The larger the HDD the better, I have three x 2Tb for vid editing and Images

One for the op system and progs
the other for working and saves
the third for backup.

Last edited:
What would be the minimum spec for a laptop to run lightroom 3. I would also be tethering my D300 so i would like it to display the pics fairly quickly.
many thanks. (y)

What laptop are you interested in

The larger the HDD the better, I have three x 2Tb for vid editing and Images

That's some laptop with three hard drives.. ;)

Dell Vostro.. best bang for the buck in a laptop - I run LR3 on my elderly (by laptop standards) Vostro 1500. Don't pay Dell prices for memory though, get the basic and upgrade yourself via the Crucial memory finder. Fitting the memory takes a bit of lateral thinking though - one stick goes in via the back and one via the front under the keyboard.

Alienware will run faster and better, but there's a price premium on the Alienware branding above and beyond the performance increase.

I don't think LR is very GPU intensive, so don't worry too much about a gaming graphics card, or the like.

Bilko is right, focus on RAM and CPU.

However, I'd add that a decent operating system helps to keep your machine running better.

That's why, if it was me, I'd be looking at used Macs. They work better, and they're actually worth selling on the used market, i.e. people pay good money for used Macs.

I don't think LR is very GPU intensive, so don't worry too much about a gaming graphics card, or the like.

Bilko is right, focus on RAM and CPU.

However, I'd add that a decent operating system helps to keep your machine running better.

That's why, if it was me, I'd be looking at used Macs. They work better, and they're actually worth selling on the used market, i.e. people pay good money for used Macs.

Agree with this re the mac thing. Macs respond alot better to more ram than getting faster processors tho..!

Also, for me HD size isnt a biggy atal! The speed of the drive is more important imo..! Mac, nice bit of ram and an SSD is the way to go!

I run LR3 on a Dell Latitude E6410 (i7 and 8gb RAM) and it works very nicely with no undue waiting or other issues. Hard drive speed seems to be the main limiting factor, so adding a SSD to the mix would probably significantly improve performance.

Crikey :thinking: Thank you for your replies. A lot of things to consider. (y)

You want to look at laptops with at least a core i5, 4gb of ram and a big disk drive.

But also buy from a quality vendor such as Apple, Dell, HP, Sony etc. Aviod the likes of Acer etc. as it will fall apart.

Neil but they look so cool have lights and everything.... Style has a price...

You're a tog. we are all about visual and image. Or why be in this game if you want a laptop wearing a Tank top??????

you mean flashy lights to kill the battery quicker? ;)

thats the other thing with alienware the battery life tends to be poorer.

im all for style but try and get a happy medium with function :p

Back